Narrowed it down to two....

This is a discussion on Narrowed it down to two.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK I am looking for a carry weapon, I have decided Kimber is for me just based on all the wonderful things I hear about ...

Thread: Narrowed it down to two....

Narrowed it down to two....

OK I am looking for a carry weapon, I have decided Kimber is for me just based on all the wonderful things I hear about them, I also went down to the range and shot one, not sure which, forgot to look, but it was wonderful.

I have narrowed it down to the Pro Carry HD II, and the CDP Compact II. The Procarry has a all stainless frame, slide, etc. The CDP is an AL frame with a stainless slide.

I havnt got a chance to feel either one, no one around here carries them, I have only got to feel a pro carry (aluminum one) But all the AL guns I have felt just seem unbalanced, mind you I havn't felt them loaded, but the steel ones just seem to be better balanced even unloaded.

I plan to carry this weapon everyday, even in the summers, where it gets over 100 degrees for about a month. Both are 4" barrels, but the steel one weighs 7 ounces more, and I am not sure if that is a notable amount or not. I also dont like how I keep hearing that hollow points cause damage to the feed ramp on the Al framed guns, now I wont be putting several thousand HP's down it, maybe only a few hundred, but the fact that they mess it up makes me wonder...

So I was wondering from all you that have them, what are your opinions on what I should go with, is the steel really notably heavier on you, do the Al guns feel less balanced than the steel? Is the al frame really something to worry about for someone who will take it to the range a lot, but not be putting several thousand rounds a year though it...

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    My SA Champ is a AL frame. the balance seems good , and the gun is a bit lighter than the steel framed version. Not having carried the steel frame version , I cannot compare the two. I Seem to shoot well with my pistol and the recoil is not bad.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Prefer aluminum frame

For carry purposes where weight is important I prefer the aluminum framed 1911, and use a Kimber Pro CDP like the one you are considering. I find the balance just fine, especially when the gun has a loaded magazine to add weight to the grip area. I have several thousand rounds through mine and there is no mark on the aluminum feed ramp. Of course, I mainly practice with FMJ ammo and only use hollowpoints once in awhile. I think you will find the 8 ounces of reduced weight in the aluminum version to be very important over the course of carrying it all day.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO if you dont know the difference ( such as a first carry gun ) you will be fine with either . If you start with the lightweight gun , ill almost promise that you wont later choose a heavier gun / If you start out all steel there is a better than average chance you will later go lighter tho LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I'm with Pogo2. For a carry piece, you'll appreciate the lighter weight of the CDP and "carry melt" treatment. Here's my Ultra w/ Alumagrips:
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

kpw
    I like shooting the all steel 1911s more and I like carrying the aluminum frames more. My next 1911 will more than likely be an aluminum framed 4 inch...but then again, I really want an Ed Brown Special Forces. I guess I'm no help here.

Hmm, yeah its a tuff decision, What I hope to do is feel them both, hopefully a store I go to will have both in stock :D

Just noticed the steel one doesnt have checkering, or night sights, sadness. And to ass those it would make it more expensive than the CDP, that already has those...

Hmmm I will still have to feel them both, but I think I am leaning more towards the CDP... Except the ambi safety, can you delete that and make it right and only?

Administrator

For everyday carry you might want to consider buying the lighter alloy frame.
    The Aluminum frames are incredibly durable.

If you're going to be doing a lot of aftermarket work on the pistol like checkering & fitting parts and "melting" sharp edges (in other words...any work that would normally require refinishing) then the all Stainless pistol would be a better choice.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Ambi safety on Kimber CDP Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pirate252 View Post
    Except the ambi safety, can you delete that and make it right and only?
    Yes, the ambi safety is easily removed and replaced with a standard safety. I did this on my CDP, as I am right handed and had no need of the ambi. It just adds width to the gun and presents a greater risk of accidental release while in the holster.

You can quickly replace it yourself without a gunsmith if you know how. Buy the part you want and look on the Internet for 1911 takedown instructions.

Going from 38oz to 30oz, it's a noticeable difference during an all-day carry. Likewise, IMO, going from 30oz to 25oz makes about the same difference. If you're prepared to go to the Kimber "ultra" sizing, you can knock the weight down from ~28oz to ~25oz. Springfield makes their Micro Compact, as well, which is light and similarly sized. Lots of holsters for these pistols.

I carry a CZ P01 @ 28oz. Have carried a Browning BDM @ 31oz. Holstered a Springfield Micro Compact and was amazed that it disappeared, weight-wise, on the hip. Yes, weight makes a difference.

I love the Kimber CDP line. Accurate, smooth. Once broken in, reliable as anything out there. High quality. You can pick up a used Kimber Shadow or Carry for ~$600-750 or so, from time to time, if you're patient (via Gunbroker or other sources).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    You might also look at the Colt Defender, at 23 oz. it's one of the lightest 1911 .45 ACP's around.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

The 3" is kinda out for me, I want to do a lot, well not a lot in terms of you guys probably, but quite a bit of range shooting and tactical practice, so a 3" is just kinda not an option for me, thanks for the suggestions though.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Yes, the ambi safety is easily removed and replaced with a standard safety. I did this on my CDP, as I am right handed and had no need of the ambi. It just adds width to the gun and presents a greater risk of accidental release while in the holster.

You can quickly replace it yourself without a gunsmith if you know how. Buy the part you want and look on the Internet for 1911 takedown instructions.
    Is there not a hole on the other side when you just swap it out? Or does the non-ambi safety fill the hole on the other side? If thats all the simple it is thats awesome! Thanks

Links