My Glock story.... Good enough for me

This is a discussion on My Glock story.... Good enough for me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ziondog Yea, it reads like an endorsement doesn't it. I am sure that other pistols could withstand a beating like that but ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Glock story.... Good enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by ziondog View Post
    Yea, it reads like an endorsement doesn't it. I am sure that other pistols could withstand a beating like that but I don't know about all of 'em.
    I still don't really even like Glocks, they just work. I didn't read about it, someone didn't show me, I lived it.
    While I'm here telling gun stories I've got another good one. In Iraq, when you reenter the FOB, you stop by a clearing barrel and clear your weapon. We did this like we did every day, stopped our HMMWV's got out, cleared, then mounted back up and headed to the fuel point. I was the second vehicle in our patrol, so as I was watching the vehicle in front of me, I saw they had something bouncing off of the road as they drove. I called them on FM radio and they stopped and looked. It was the vehicle commander's M9 Beretta which had fallen out of his holster and was being dragged by the laynard. You can imagine how scuffed up the pistol was, but it still worked perfectly. Didn't break off the sights, saftey, nothing. I was impressed.
    Haha, and I've always wondered why they had 'drag tests' for guns. Never could think of how that was supposed to simulate any kind of Real World experience, other than to simply test reliability. This story just shows that war really does separate the men from the boys - and that goes for equipment, too.

I have an older model Glock 19 that I purchased used. It was made in March 1990, according to the serial number. Since I've had it I've only had to replace a trigger spring and extractor, and I've put about 6,000 rounds through it. No telling how many rounds went through it before I bought it in 2003. It is a butt-ugly gun, but I love it because it just plain works, and it is incredibly accurate. It took me a while to get good at shooting it, because I was used to hammer guns (Baby Eagle, 1911, Ruger P90, revolvers). The only hammerless gun I had fired prior to my Glock was a Walther P99 in .40. My G19 is very reliable, too. Jamming is almost non-existent, and the few times it has happened was either me shooting limp-wristed, or back when the extractor broke (had a chip taken out).

I think the newer Glocks look a little better, but not by much. The point is, they work when they are supposed to, and they work well. Great tools.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    If you haven't already - sounds like a good post for http://www.glocktalk.com also... Sounds like it'll take a lickin and keep on tickin.
    For God, Family and Country!

Thanks all... Truly, I am proud to serve our great country.
    I'm fortunate, I made it back in one piece. Please keep in your hearts and prayers all the Soldiers/Saliors/Airmen/Marines who are still over there. The daily sacrifice they make is hard to comprehend.

On a lighter note...They teach in all branches of the military that one of the things you do is "defened thoes who cannot defend themselves". Well in my humble opinion it nice "to help thoes who help themselves". It is nice to see citizens who take the protection and defense of themselves, their family, and presumably strangers so seriously.
    If you have never read this:http://hobbes.ncsa.uiuc.edu/onsheepw...sheepdogs.html please take a few munites to do so. It sums up why I carry.
    Zion, from a civilian in Ohio, thanks to you and all the other brave souls out there for your voluntary service. I appreciate it like no other, but have no other way of saying thank you other than a handshake and a cold one on me. This extends to all of our service folks out there to say the least.

About the Glocks:
    I don't like them. I don't like the grip angle, I don't like there the safety is, but they work, work well, and hardly ever have a hiccup in reliability. That says more than a lot in my opinion. There isn't one on my hip, but I believe the Springer XD 'out glocked' the Glock, and I think it will prove itself over time to be just as reliable, but have a more natural grip angle, and have a beavertail/grip safety in addition to the trigger safety. I'd like to get one on my hip in the near future.

As always, if you dont' stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Thanks all... Truly, I am proud to serve our great country.
    I'm fortunate, I made it back in one piece. Please keep in your hearts and prayers all the Soldiers/Saliors/Airmen/Marines who are still over there. The daily sacrifice they make is hard to comprehend.

On a lighter note...They teach in all branches of the military that one of the things you do is "defened thoes who cannot defend themselves". Well in my humble opinion it nice "to help thoes who help themselves". It is nice to see citizens who take the protection and defense of themselves, their family, and presumably strangers so seriously.
    If you have never read this:http://hobbes.ncsa.uiuc.edu/onsheepw...sheepdogs.html please take a few munites to do so. It sums up why I carry.
    What a great read. I had never seen this. But exactly why I try and say "Baa" as little as possible.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I carried an issued G17 for a couple years in Vegas.

With all the handguns that I've tried over the years..Smith, Beretta, H&K, SIG, ect.

My choice is:

1.CZ
    2. Glock.

You can't go wrong with any of them, new or used, they work well
    when you need them to.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Quote Originally Posted by OfClanMcnab View Post
    I have an older model Glock 19 that I purchased used. It was made in March 1990, according to the serial number.
    How does one interpret the serial number to determine when it was made?

You can tell by the first 3 letters. I happen to have my glock serial number memorized. Not hard since it is only 6 characters, though.

Look yours up here: http://glocktalk.com/sitemap/topic/412093-1.html

You can also request Glockmeister to get more detailed info on your particular serial number.

Also I noticed I misspoke (typed) when I said March 1990; mine is actually March 1994.

Great guns...thanks for the cool story.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Thank You! for walking point for all of us! Glad to hear about the Glock 19 holding up so well! I have the Glock 34 and 36 and 27. How did the M-4, M-16 rifles hold up and how did the 5.56 cartrigde perform? Thanks Again!

"Our Foundation of Freedom Makes Everything Else Possible in America!!!,,,That Foundation is Made up of Veterans!!!"

I used to hate them too. But as you can see from my signature line I now carry one every day.

They work. It's that simple. Every time I pull the trigger it goes bang. And, it's accurate. What else can you ask for?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Great report on a true torture test. Also that sheep story is good, glad you posted the link.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by PH/CIB View Post
    Thank You! for walking point for all of us! Glad to hear about the Glock 19 holding up so well! I have the Glock 34 and 36 and 27. How did the M-4, M-16 rifles hold up and how did the 5.56 cartrigde perform? Thanks Again!
    M-4 worked great over there. No problems as far as I was concerned. Minimal maintanance and I never had any jams. I fired a lot,too. The 5.56 is a good all-around round. I saw the devestating effects first hand and up close. Not on animals either. We captured an AIF (Anti-Iraqi Force) soldier after he was shot in the thigh bone and could not escape. He was air medivaced to the rear so he could be interragated and given treament. A couple days later one of the docs brought back a copy of his x-ray showing his shattered bone (femur I think) It was snapped in half with splinters everywhere. Very distructive.

I only carried Kimbers...until I found the G-36, now I'm getting to take it with me more and more...I feel guilty sometimes...
    My Kimbers get sad too...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Awesome downrange reports. Nothing beats frontline usage as opposed to lab tests or manufacturers tests. Thanks Zion.

A Glock, to me is a very utilitarian gun. One must just pull the trigger. With my 1911, which I like very much, I have safeties to spare. A Glock is very much like a revolver. Just load and shoot. My 1911 I must carry cocked and locked and it cannot be decocked with a lever on the side. There is something to learn about my gun and less about the Glock. That is good for neophytes. I still like my .45 cocked and locked.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links