My Glock story.... Good enough for me - Page 3

My Glock story.... Good enough for me

This is a discussion on My Glock story.... Good enough for me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; thanks for the service ziondog and great story. got a question for you... how did the iraqi cops carry their G19s? did you give them ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Glock story.... Good enough for me

thanks for the service ziondog and great story.

got a question for you... how did the iraqi cops carry their G19s? did you give them holsters? how did the "iraqi ammo" perform terminally?

thanks. semper gumby.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Wow,,, great story. I wish more stories like your came out of Iraq. Thanks for doing your time over there. I spent many days at sea off the coast of both Iran and Iraq during my 20 year career in the US Navy.

I'm seriously considering adding the G19 to my collection this year. I need to go to the range sometime in the next month and take one out for a little test ride - so to speak.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I love my 19 and my 26. We always hear everyones opinion but it is nice to hear in from somebody that has seen it in use.

Thanks for the Glock info and thanks for your service.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike from Texas View Post
    I just bought my first Glock over the weekend. Up until now I had refused to buy one strictly out of pure ignorance of the way they actually worked.
    When my brother brought one home while he was in the army, he showed it to me and I totally didn't like it. The major thing (for me at the time) was, "Oh my god, it doesn't have a safety?! (a manual one, I mean)

Some time after that (when I came to be buying guns of my own) I did a total turnaround. Now I prefer a gun that has only "passive" safeties. I don't believe in any safety but how I use the gun. Safe use is my safety. And GLOCK is what I carry for reliable, durable protection.

CAUTION this post contains opinions (laughing)

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    thanks for the service ziondog and great story.

got a question for you... how did the iraqi cops carry their G19s? did you give them holsters? how did the "iraqi ammo" perform terminally?

thanks. semper gumby.
    They carried their 19s mostly in their waistbands. We didn't have enough money at the time to buy them any holsters. First it was uniforms. Then we gave them AK's as their primary weapon (dug up in caches or confiscated). On a side note, we worked in the area that was the former HQ of the Republican Guard Armor Corps. Once the war kicked off and the Iraqi populace saw that the old government was no more all of the arms were sold/looted/stolen. The general populace had them. Man did I see some sweet weapons floating around out there. Beretta and H&K SMGs, WWII Russian drum fed SMGs, really nice Russian milled reciever AK's of all sorts of variations. Lots of junk, too. I could go on and on...

Next we bought them Glocks(It was the only choice given to us). Then we were given squad cars to give them. You know what they gave us? Chevy f***in Cavilers!! No joke! There must have been a payoff somewhere to convince someone to buy thoes. They all broke withih a couple of months. And where in the hell are you going to find Chevy Caviler parts in a war torn third world country?

The glock passive safe action really does work. The Iraqis had no concept of "muzzle awareness" or don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot. I would drill them over and over on these basic safe gun safety skills. It didn't stick very well. Regardless, not any ADs (acidental discharges). A lot of shoot before you know what your shooting at, but no go off on accident type stuff. Most of these guys with weapons was like if you would give then unsupervised to about a 9-year old. So the simplisity of the Glock system was good.

As far as the terminal performance of the Iraqi 9mm ammo? It still killed people dead as anything! It worked good, but I would never use it. I would say, as crappy as it was it worked 99%+ of the time. Remember, this stuff was also buried loose in the ground in a wooden ammo box for who knows how long. Worked fine, but I'll never store my ammo that way. Great queation, thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links