My Glock story.... Good enough for me

This is a discussion on My Glock story.... Good enough for me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Used to hate GLOCKS! Looks and function. That is until I used one... While in Iraq I was issued a M9 like everyone else. That ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Glock story.... Good enough for me

Used to hate GLOCKS! Looks and function.
    That is until I used one... While in Iraq I was issued a M9 like everyone else. That is until we were tasked to start up and train IPs (Iraqi Police) in our area. My platoon was given 150 G19s to transfer to the Police Chief there. (Can you imagine rolling around with 150 GLOCKS in the back of your vehicle?)
    What really started to sway my opinion of these firearms was the lack/type of maintanance performed on them. They were mostly tucked into their belt, or pocket, tossed on the seat of their vehicle, or carried around in hand. Some guys would spend time cleaning them. With water. A group of guys would gather theirs up and pour buckets of water from the canal onto them to wash the sand off. Next they would dry them with their shirts. Then they would lube them. With motor oil out of the diesel generator. There was no Glock armorer, any armorer, or even gunsmith to work on these pistols.
    The "Slug Plugs" that we love so much. They used cut up shirt, balls of notebook paper, whatever. And the ammo. Can you imagine the s___t that these guys fired out of their weapons. I gave these guys 9x19 that we found out of a cache that was buried loose in an old wooden mortar crate. To begin with this stuff was cheap Iraqi ammo. Not Russian or Eastern Bloc surplus, but crappy Iraqi ammo. These guy shot their weapons a lot. There could be no better example of "shoot first and don't even both asking questions".
    I saw the Glock perform day in and day out almost flawlessly. I commented to the police chief what great handguns the Glocks were turning out to be. He then let me borrow one of the Glocks for the remainder of my time there. I just messed around with it for a while and then decided to carry it. It just kinda grew on me.

This story is not embellshed either. Just the God's honest truth,

Oh yea... I now have a G23 and G30. I have never even fired them yet. Just a lot of dry firing at night before bed. I am getting out of the Army in another month and moving back to Vegas. These will be my CC weapons.
    Last edited by ziondog; May 3rd, 2007 at 07:51 AM. Reason: me no spell good

It sounds like they hold up well under harsh conditions. Thank you for your service to our country!

kool !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Great endorsement for Glock.

Thank you for military service!
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Yea, it reads like an endorsement doesn't it. I am sure that other pistols could withstand a beating like that but I don't know about all of 'em.
    I still don't really even like Glocks, they just work. I didn't read about it, someone didn't show me, I lived it.
    While I'm here telling gun stories I've got another good one. In Iraq, when you reenter the FOB, you stop by a clearing barrel and clear your weapon. We did this like we did every day, stopped our HMMWV's got out, cleared, then mounted back up and headed to the fuel point. I was the second vehicle in our patrol, so as I was watching the vehicle in front of me, I saw they had something bouncing off of the road as they drove. I called them on FM radio and they stopped and looked. It was the vehicle commander's M9 Beretta which had fallen out of his holster and was being dragged by the laynard. You can imagine how scuffed up the pistol was, but it still worked perfectly. Didn't break off the sights, saftey, nothing. I was impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ziondog View Post
    I still don't really even like Glocks, they just work.
    +1

I will go one further. I HATE GLOCKS. They have all of the beauty of a flat tire. They are not "sexy" like my 1911. Also, I have never been partial to Tupperware.

But guess what? There will be a Glock 19 in my future as my main carry gun as soon as the Finance Director (She Who Must Be Obeyed) says its OK.

Why? Because as you said, they work! Under stress, no bells and whistles to contend with, just point and shoot.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

thank you for your service first off , and thanks for the report on glocks the g19 is by far one of my favorites
    Well hell yes its dangerous if it wasnt i wouldnt be carrying it!
    Beretta PX4 40sw
    SR9
    PF9
    Sig mosquito 22
    Keltec p3at

Thanks all... Truly, I am proud to serve our great country.
    I'm fortunate, I made it back in one piece. Please keep in your hearts and prayers all the Soldiers/Saliors/Airmen/Marines who are still over there. The daily sacrifice they make is hard to comprehend.

On a lighter note...They teach in all branches of the military that one of the things you do is "defened thoes who cannot defend themselves". Well in my humble opinion it nice "to help thoes who help themselves". It is nice to see citizens who take the protection and defense of themselves, their family, and presumably strangers so seriously.
    If you have never read this:http://hobbes.ncsa.uiuc.edu/onsheepw...sheepdogs.html please take a few munites to do so. It sums up why I carry.

Administrator
    Glock is an ugly dog, no doubt about it. If I were going back to the desert, I would pick a G19 to go with me over anything else.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I guess I don't quite understand the 'dis' Glocks get. I don't buy the Glock 'perfection', but I just keep finding they're hard to beat.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Great report on Glockl 19's, and ziondog, you have my thanks and admiration for your service and a job well done.

Your 'boots on the ground' reporting of what you personally experienced is a far cry from what the media wants us to see and believe.

I carry Glocks for two reasons..... they work, and I like them.

Love'em or hate them, but the bottom line they are a very durable. I always thought they should remake the old Timex commercials using the glock instead.

Glock was in my top 3 running for my CCW, but just didn't like the feel.

I just bought my first Glock over the weekend. Up until now I had refused to buy one strictly out of pure ignorance of the way they actually worked. I had an opportunity to spend some significant time at the range with a G17 and walked away very impressed with it. I can honestly say that I feel they are just as safe as any weapon on the market in the hands of a mildly competent gun person. And their functionality and reliability can't be argued.

Yeah, it's not as pretty as my Kimber, but it doesn't jam like my Kimber either.

And it's available in 10mm.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

I don't love Glocks, but as you found out, THEY WORK!

If I could have only one handgun it would be a Block. Oops, I meant a Glock. I have not found a more durable and reliable handgun, and I've tried.

I'll continue to carry my wheelguns, but will also reserve a spot for a Glock or two in my safe.

Biker

kpw
    I've been sold on them for a long time and took a lot of ribbing for it too. I'd rather hear reports like this over the torture tests people do anyday.
    Thanks for your service. It is much appreciated here.
    My brother in-law is back for his 3rd tour. He's in Baghdad now and he keeps telling everyone not to worry. Of course we do but don't let him know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links