Installing Aftermarket Sights on XD

This is a discussion on Installing Aftermarket Sights on XD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How difficult is it to install aftermarket night sights such as Tru-glo TFO or the XS Big Dot 24/7 Tritium night sights on an XD9sc? ...

Thread: Installing Aftermarket Sights on XD

How difficult is it to install aftermarket night sights such as Tru-glo TFO or the XS Big Dot 24/7 Tritium night sights on an XD9sc?

It appears when ordering the OD XD9sc from Springfield, the gun shop I called can only get the standard sights and told me that sight change in the XD is not as easy as on the Glock...

Any thoughts or comments regarding this?

I really don't want my new XD spending a lengthy time in Springfield's Custom shop if I can just purchase the aftermarket sights directly and have a local gunsmith install them without much effort.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have an XD, but I haven't changed the sights on it yet. The sights are simply dovetailed into the slide, but the fit is extremely tight. I'm absolutely sure a gunsmith could install them. If you're handy with tools, you could do it yourself with a small screwdriver, covered with cloth or duck tape, and a hammer (but don't blame me if you scratch or break something).

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I would strongly recommend enlisting the services of a competent gunsmith. Not only do you risk damaging your slide by using the wrong tools or techniques, but getting your sight alignment correct isn't as easy as it may seem. There's a reason they're called "fixed" sights. Most gunsmiths would consider this a quick and easy job (for them), and shouldn't charge too much.

VIP Member
    I'm glad you started this thread. I checked into putting night sites on my XD40SC. I could'nt find anywhere that said the nightsights would fit my gun.

I have tritium TFO's on my XD40 service and Xd45 service the gunshop where I shoot installed them took him about 45 mins. and some words to do it LOL. The y are a tight fit but if you look at the top of your slide you'll see alignment marks at the front and rear sight and both of my pistols are aligned there and shoot POA, all in all I'm happy with the TFO's I got green front and yellow rear and the contrast is just right for me.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I like the idea of TFO sights, but what I'm really considering are Suresights.

My smith has put 2 sets of sights on my XD. I started out with Meprolights but POI was about 4" below POA no matter what I did. I had them change them out to TFOs and I love them. He did say that they are a b^&%h to put on though.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Thanks for all the input. Your opinions are helpful!

I ordered the OD model XD9sc Today! $430 for officer price so now to pick out some sights to go with.

New question... Has anyone personally had an opportunity to compare the XS Big Dot tritium sights with the Tru-Glo TFO sights?

I'll start a new thread for that question.

Again, thanks to everyone who replied!

Stay Safe!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sponsored Links