Kel-Tec P3AT .380 - Page 2

Kel-Tec P3AT .380

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec P3AT .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; VERY NICE littlw gun ya got there! I can wait for one if need be..........I looked at the web site and they ARE impressive! how ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec P3AT .380

VERY NICE littlw gun ya got there! I can wait for one if need be..........I looked at the web site and they ARE impressive! how much of a price can you place on your life? and the reliability and conceilability of your weapon "priceless" LOL

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Bumper I agree with you , but I don't .

Yes these are all better guns, but they all have much better prices.

Putting a KelTec next to a Kahr... that's just not fair! Poor little KelTec!
    LOL, you may be right, Euc, but I dunno, they are not really that much higher when you compare it to my other gun purchases. We had a guy at work buy a KelTec a few months ago and he took me out to his car to show it to me. I looked it over pretty good and handed it back to him and was stalling until I could think of something positive to say about it. All I could come up with was "Cool".

I dunno, maybe it's just me with one of my quirky little biases but I, personally, would not have trusted that gun to protect my ex-wife's life, and I don't even like her. I like steel guns and although I can appreciate Glocks, the XD40 (I loved mine) and other polymer guns, a little gun like that in plastic just does absolutely nothing for me. Just my opinion....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Actually I think I see you eye to eye on this one. I don't like tiny plastic guns either. They are pretty slick looking but... I just can't bring myself to buy one when there's Charter Arms Undercover Specials, Rossis, and NAA mini revolvers to be had at the same price point, and these guns are all metal.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Actually I think I see you eye to eye on this one.... Charter Arms Undercover Specials....
    Now, all this agreeing is getting scary , I haven't thought of Charter Arms in a long time. There was a time that I really wanted a Bulldog. Charter Arms used to be a pretty good revolver (if I remember right), do they still make good guns?
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

The old Charter Arms, before they went under, made some pretty decent stuff. The Undercover Specials and Bulldog to be specific. No frills but very serviceable and inexpensive. Perfect boot guns. If I could ever find an old Bulldog I would snap it up.

The new Charter Arms, Charter 2000, seems to have very mixed results. Some people report they're not all that and a bag of chips but they do function reliably, where others have claimed they'll fall apart after a few boxes of ammo. I looked into one of them because they're making one of the few .44 Special offerings on the market, but I think I'll pass.

CLASS3NH-
    Yes the P-10 was designed to use the strippers to load the internal mag a-al Broomhandel style and I use to cut a stripper at the 10 round point and roll the cut end to keep the rounds from sliding out. I just don't any more, as a BUG it is really unlikely I would need them and when it is the only gun it is in situations that any need is very slim and then 10 rounds should (I hope) do it, I know, you never know when TSHIF, but ya pays your money and takes ya chances.

BUG Guns

>>I have a number of nice BUG guns, including a pair of 9mm Rohrbaugh R9s...one with sights, the other without. I love these guns...!! You won't find a better made gun in this class...mine are reliable, accurate, and a breeze to conceal...TW<<

Assistant Administrator
    Hey TW!!!

Good to see another double R9'er around!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Kel-Tec s

My primary carry gun is the Kel-Tec P-11 in 9mm. I have had it for several years and will admit that I have done considerable research on it on the Kel Tec Owners Group web site. I also did the "fluff & buff" as suggested on the KTOG site and made some other modifications suggested there. My P-11 is extremely reliable, very accurate for such a small pistol, and very comfortable to carry using the optional belt clip.

I just recently purchased a 2nd gen P3AT. I have done nothing to it. I did order two spare mags with the one round magazine extensions. This little pistol is great. I have no problem making head shots with it out to 10 yards. It is suprisingly accurate. So far I have had no reliability problems with it. I have however only put 300 rounds of various ammo through it. It carries really well in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. It also works well in an ankle holster. Makes a great BUG. In the summer I will probably carry it some as my only gun. I like them!

erh
    I have both (2nd Gen.) K-T .32acp, & .380acp (& lots of other stuff!) I don't like plastic guns normally but despite that; I like both of these & they work very well. No problems w/ either w/o "Fluff & Buff."
    My .02 cents..

(erh)
    Last edited by erh; March 19th, 2006 at 10:46 AM.

If your looking for a 380 the bersa thunder is hard to beat. Half the cost of a ppk and a much better trigger. I had one but got hard up for $$ and had to sell if it wasnt for that id still have that gun today. I got uncle sams money and replaced it with a skyy 9mm and really like it so far. I got it because it fit all my criteria for a summer carry piece and uses a more powerful cartridge than 380. And I have other 9mm so I dont have to keep a dozen different calibers on hand. I looked at the kel-tecs and to be honest the skyy had a better fit and finish with a lifetime warrenty to boot hope this helps. Have a great day Sixgun.

Not to slam Kel-Tec, but I have to say, the Kel-Tec .380 I had was one huge disappointment in a small package for me- even after a trip back to Kel-Tec for a factory "fluff and buff". (I must admit, however, their customer service tried to be helpful with a relatively fast turnaround) Even so, I still continued to have FTF problems regardless of what I fed it. I know others have had better results, and lord knows I wanted to- after all,I love the concealability factor, but with all the continual issues I experienced I eventually lost all faith and ended up purchasing a S&W 642. Obviously more dinero and not as easily concealed, but at least I feel assured the 642 will go BANG every time I pull the trigger.
    "Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice; ammo is cheap, life is expensive."

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    I was at a small shop yesterday, and I noticed a Rossi 2in stainless 357 revolver. It caught my eye, cuz I thought it was a full lug J Frame Smith model 60.......I asked to see it, and it really felt good in my hands.. the fit and finish was pretty good, and the grips were similar to the round butt 60...... it was 200.00........You might want to look into something of that type, where you could carry 357 mags, or 38 +P's in it.. the ruger SP101 2in might be a choice, BUT last friday night, while at a local range, I noticed a couple of guys sharing a ruger SP......he fored it single action, and had several fialures ro fire. <Must have been something in the firing pin assembly, or the transfer bar system, cuz it wasn't striking the primer> this kinda thru me off, as i didn't think a Ruger would have that trouble
    The guys avove are right on the money with their input as well. You shave a lot of good input so far. I think I'd stick with a Kel-tec 32, if you're stuck on a kel-tec, as their more reliable than the 380 Kel-tec. Just my 2 cents
    Sounds like someone's done a little home smithing on that pistol. Maybe cut too many coils off of the main spring while trying for a lighter trigger.

My little 2nd generation KelTec P3AT has been a dependable gun for me even without a fluff and buff. I do have to qualify that statement a bit.
    1. When I first shot it, I had FTF, FTE's with every mag. I was told by a friend that I might be limp wristng. I normally don't put much stock in that suggestion, but I tried again with firmer wrist. It shot perfectly!! Every time!!
    2. With my 59 year old eyes, I could not simultaneously focus on the rear sight groove and the nubbins of a front sight and the target. I painted the top and rear edge of the rear sight and the back ramp of the front with a glow-in-the-dark yellow paint. Now I can make out the rear sight with the front sight fixed on the target.
    3. I don't have a lot of confidence in the 380 round. But, when no other carry is possible, or as a backup, it is perfect.
    I've put 500-600 rounds of various brands and types (HP, FMJ) without a problem. It fits beautifully in a Nemesis packet holster or ankle holster. It makes my S&W 642 seem genuinely bulky. It is a fabulous backup gun.

It should be noted that the NAA 380 is much larger and heavier than the KelTec, and in my opinion, has worse sights! In fact, I can see no reason to carry one when a J-frame type gun, S&W or Taurus, carries more punch, is the same size, has much better sights, and is lighter.

Ron

I got a second generation P3AT. Out of the box had it had some problems (jams) with 30+ years old FMJ ammo. The ammo was mix U.S. and overseas brands. Did some "fluff and buff", but not the fully amount. Clean up the feed ramp. After that I shot approximately 300 rounds of Remington UMC FMJ, 50 Gold Dot, 25 Hydra-shock and 100 rounds of some overseas FMJ that was hot. The gun worked great will all except the Gold Dot. Don’t know why, unless at this stage of the game the gun was very dirty. I carry Hydra-shock in the gun and it is with me as a backup to my duty backup.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links