Kel-Tec P3AT .380 - Page 3

Kel-Tec P3AT .380

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec P3AT .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have not had a failure with my 2nd gen 3AT. It has become a toss-up whether I carry it or my 442 w/CT lasergrips. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kel-Tec P3AT .380

I have not had a failure with my 2nd gen 3AT. It has become a toss-up whether I carry it or my 442 w/CT lasergrips. The 3AT goes better with dress pants & also with tighter shorts.

I tried the PocketSlipper laser on my 3AT, but it affected my grip too much. The 3AT shoots well enough @ 5-7 yards that I can use point shooting if my old eyes fail me.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I shot a buddys 1st gen p3at and hated it , werid rudimentry sights , sharp checkering , sharp recoil , the dammed thing felt like an exploding master card in the hand and wouldnt relyably hit a coffee can at 10 yards for me. With that being said a while back i took in as boot ( not much ) a 2nd gen p3at on a trade . This little sucker still has almost no sights ( but they are convintional sight pic ) the checkering is much less anoying , and the dammed thing just eats anything i can fit in the mag . As far as accuracy goes it will hit a pop can at 15 yards ( a new to pistols buddy has no problems doing this ) its a great little .380 ..... but lets get something straight , imho it is not a primairy gun at least for me . I will occationaly carry my ppk/s for primairy but then at 15 yards it will relyably hit 12 ga hulls , not just a soda can , if your looking at a small primairy carry please step on up to the kahr or the R9 personaly mine is a kahr since i cant justify the price of the R9 to even myself much less my wife lol but if you can i understand they are great little guns. We will just have to wait and see how well kel-tech does the single stack 9mm since it appears to be the love child of the p3at and the p11 , it could just be something even tho it would be the largest of the " micro 9s " lol

There is nothing wrong in carrying the P3AT as a primary gun. I can tell you that most gunfights are not what you see on TV. Most guns fights are one to five rounds fired total for both sides. And I have not seen or been in many gunfights with five rounds fired. You will not see the sights in a gunfight, you will point your finger and shoot. It is point and shoot. Get a gun that you will carry on your body every day. Not a gun that you will leave in the car and/or at home after several days/months of carrying it. It can become a pain in the butt carrying a big gun all day (I known this after 26 years on the job). Yes I have a big gun somewhere closed, but I always have a “BUG” on my body. Also find a gun that will shoot. Most guns will not do this right the box; you will have to work on them. I carry a P3AT (2nd gen) as a backup to my duty gun. The P3AT replaced my S&W Model 60 and a Beretta .25 auto as the backup gun. Most peoples do not like a .25/380 auto/38 SP for defense. But I do not see any one volunteering to get shot by one. I have done some work on the P3AT, but not much. I work on all guns that I carry on and off duty. This way I know that the gun will shoot when I need it to shoot. I have been reading about Skyy. They are coming out this spring with a 9mm in the same size as the P3AT. I am going to get one, run it hard and see if it will make the grade as a carry gun.

Frankmako

I can tell you that I had a bad experience with the KT P3AT. My uncle purchased one and had to send it back to the factory because a pin in the frame kept on falling out. I guess it was what holds the trigger assembly in. After he got it back we went to the range to shoot many of his pistols. I fire 1 to 2 full mags through it. No malfunctions but the pin started to work itself out again even after it was sent back to KT.

Other complaints are that accuracy sucked and the damn thing nearly flew out of my hands and hit me in the forehead. But my hands were rather sweaty.

Had a P32 and regret selling it....Read so-so reviews on the P3AT when they 1st came out and stayed away. Kel tec has seemed to changed its design slightly to adress these problems with its 2nd generation. Rescent reviews have been steller. I think the saying "It is what it is" holds true to these little guns; they are point and shoot, light to carry, get-off-me pocket guns. I pick up my new P3AT tomorrow. Beauty is that is will fit perfectly in my old P32 holster since size increase is practically null.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I, also, have a KEl-TEC P3-AT. It is a nice sized pistol for summer carry. Can almost conceal it any way. I have pocket holster, IWB holster and ankle holster for it. So it gets a lot of use. Even in the winter I throw it in my jacket pockets a lot. Never had a problem with it at all. I use American Eagle Federal 95 gr for practice only. Bulk buys make the price reasonable. Carry low recoil 90 gr. Hydrashock. Never had a fail to feed or eject. I keep my pistol EXTREMELY clean. In addition, did a fluff and buff while I was breaking in the pistol. The KEl-TEC in my mind is a safe reliable weapon to carry and only needs more a tad bit more firepower.

I do carry a Kahr CW9 a lot. Like the firepower of it with CORBON DPX 115 gr +P. Both are outstanding weapons and I feel are worthy of being carried.

Mark

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i own a kel tec p3at generation one. I have had no problems with it. I carry it alot and shoot it 2-3 mags a month. It is not designed to shoot 1000's of rounds though or to plink with at the range, but IMO it is a great carry gun. I bought the +1 mag extension finger ext., and an uncle mikes rubber grip boot on it.
    Some fluff and buff may be required but www.ktog.org is a great place for info on the procedure or the gun in general
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    +1 on the j-frame airweight
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Gen 2 P3AT packer here too. Works great. Usually carried as a backup, in a pocket holster. It's pretty much the definition of un-detectable. I don't think it would print on a starving supermodel!

I have later model 1st generation P3AT I carry it as a bug to my Glock 30, I am very happy with it.
    Capt Jack

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I posted this earlier so i will just revisit this thread with the link to that post for the new guys , Stating if you do your part the little p3 will do its http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=9069
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I have one it is a FG. love the bug out of the box have no FTF.GO for it
    Geo

I've got a 2nd gen that's trouble free. I don't leave home without it.
    I also have the Bersa finger extension on mine, I find it helps alot with control.

New Member Array fortycaliberglock's Avatar

I've had the little .32 pocket gun for 3 years. It goes in my pocket when the G23 is simply too big for the day's attire. It's light for carry, easy to shoot and pretty accurate for a mouse gun. At $190, I can't complain.

Joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links