Compact .45

This is a discussion on Compact .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II...

View Poll Results: Best compact .45 for the money.

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 30

37 19.47%
  • XD45

61 32.11%
  • Taurus PT145

24 12.63%
  • other

68 35.79%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Compact .45

In .45 ACP

Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II

2. Remove Ads

Glock 36
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Biggest bang for the buck is subjective since it varies for almost everyone. I may be happy driving a Dodge SUV because it fills my needs, while for someone else, an econo box or high end Infinity will only fill their need.

My advice is to decide what you need first and what sort of gun will fill those requirements. Then, look for models that fill those requirements. If you find two guns that will work for you, and all other things are equal but one sells for half the price of the other, the biggest bang goes to the one who fill the need for the least amount of cash.

On the other hand, don't buy a gun that's used for self-defense because it's either the least OR the most expensive. Just remember while the highest price doesen't always mean the highest quality and reliability, there is a certain truth in the saying you get what you pay for. The real truth is usually somewhere in the middle!

BTW, my personal favorite compact 45 is a Bersa Ultra Compact 45 (though I actually prefer the UC-9 and own 2 of them as well as the 45).
    Last edited by rachilders; May 7th, 2007 at 02:13 PM.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Never shot a polymer framed .45 but I would like to.

I own a Colt Officers and a Para P-12. There are times I wish I had gotten alloy frames on those as the steel frames are heavier, but they do soak up recoil nicely so I have no serious regrets.

I haven't carried those since getting the Glock 23 since our sheriff's dept. requires G22 or G23. I am very impatiently waiting for my XD9sc to arrive for my new BUG.

The State Trooper who works part time at the gun shop I bought the XD from was carrying a Glock 30 in OD green. He loves it!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'd have a hard time finding a better compact .45 than the Springfield Micro Compact. I'm not a 1911 fan, as such, but it's about the best mix of size and power that I've seen. Yes, it's a $1K gun. Yes, it's a bit soon to know its long-term reliability. But it fits, it's concealable, it points well, the controls can all be easily manipulated. I can't say that about many .45's.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    XD 45...hands down the best...i used to own a taurus, never owned a glock. but I just don't think you can beat the XD.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I bought a new PT-145 Pro about 6 months back. It was the updated version with the rail. After sending it back to Taurus three seperate occasions, I decided it was time to give it up. It loved to misfeed, jam, light strike, and just simply wasn't as accurate as other comparative guns. I blame it on the poorly done standard rifling. You could visibly see that where the rifling starts in the chamber, not every line was even with the rest. It appeared they were different lengths and not cut very well. I lost $100 selling that POS! I don't think I'll ever trust my life to a Taurus product again unless circumstances are dire.

I recently had the compact big-bore bug bite me again (say that three times fast), and ended up buying a Kahr P40. It fits my hand much better, is a good bit slimmer due to the single stack magazine, and is probably 300% more accurate. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger and actually has a few good sight options available, unlike the Taurus.

Kahr makes a very nice .45 in a similar design, just a hair bigger than the P40 and it holds 6+1 as well. The only reason I didn't get it is because I never had the chance to hold one before I purchased the P40. I would ask around and go look at some before making your final decision. :)

My .02¢, take it for what it's worth. :)

You'll just have to compare for yourself and try them if you can. How do they feel in your hand? Everyone will have an opinion good or bad on each gun you mentioned. Just like asking about a Ford, Chevy, Dodge or Toyota. You find some with a blessing and another with a horror story on each. What's best ?? the one that suits YOU.

That said, I'm partial to my Glocks. But, that's just my opinion and experience.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links