Votes: 61 32.1%
  • Taurus PT145

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • other

Votes: 68 35.8%

Compact .45

6K views 37 replies 37 participants last post by  sass20485 
#1 ·
I am wondering what would be the best bang for my buck.

There is a price difference between the three. Is it really worth the money to pay more for the Glock or XD or would I be happy buying the Taurus?

#4 ·
I have owned the XD, the glock 27 (not the 30 but pretty much same size), and the pt-145 and I have to say the pt-145 beats them all hands down in terms of trigger, grip, accuracy, and carry comfort. I cannot speak to longevity beause I have but about 2500 rounds through each of them. I sold my XD to a friend, gave the 27 to my brother as a gift and I still own the PT.

IMHO it is not worth paying more.

#5 ·
I have a Kahr P45 on Lay-Away.

For me, I like Kahr. They have always been reliable and the Trigger is IMHO the best out there for a DAO Autoloader. I have a PM9 at the present time that I use as a second BUG. If the P45 is anything like the PM9 it's a winner.

I used to have a Glock 36, but it was the most unreliable 45 I ever had. My EDC, off-duty, is an N-Frame 4" Barrel .45 ACP Revolver. I have "Six For Sure" and five more in the J-Frame before I have to start thinking about a reload, or going to the second BUG.

I realize that not everyone wants to carry a BUG, or two. I personally prefer to do that. I've seen enough that I don't carry one handgun, unless it's dictated by policy.

I know it's a little on the exspensive side, but I would look at Kahr if you are seriously considering a .45 ACP for CCW.

Biker :tumbleweed:

#7 ·
For a compact .45 I have always preferred the S&W 4516. All stainless steel, 8 rounds including the one in the chamber. They made models 4516, 4516-1, 4516-2 and 4516-3. Mine is a 4516-2 Special Model which means the "decocker-safety lever" will only decock the hammer. It has no "safe" position, it springloads to the ready to fire position. The pistol is always ready to fire just like all my other pistols.

#8 ·
Had to vote for the G-30. I carry it all the time. Probably one of the most accurate handguns I own too. Just picked up a G-36 and so far has been reliable. I want to get a couple hundred more rounds thru to make sure.

I was surprised at the difference in thickness at how much better I can hide the 36. Even riding in a holster meant for the 30 , I can put it iwb just about anywere and not worry about it printing.

I am not a big fan of the XD's. Nothing against them,they shoot well and are gaining a reputation fo reliability, but I don't see the point in a grip safety on striker fired guns. Just seems like one more thing to go wrong. And believe me, Mr. Murphy and I know each other well :rolleyes:

The Taurus does have my interest though too. I thought it was a neet little gun when it came out. Wouldn't mind trying, the 145 or the 645 (?).

#10 ·
I think it's a pretty close tossup between Glock and XD, but I'd throw my vote to Glock. I like their grip angle better... I feel like I have better control and recovery time with it.

#11 ·
I'll take glock over the others any day.My experience with tarus was anything less than good.I own a springfield too just not xd.I just look
around and see how many law enforcement agencies carry glock
over all others.Cops are the hardest customers on any products
so that why I take glock.

#12 ·
All the pistols you brought up are great handguns. I love my Taurus, it's only a PT140, but it's the same platform. Glocks are great, just not my cup of tea. I'm also a huge fan of the XD. What feels best in your hand? What are you most comfortable with?

#16 ·
I think it depends on priorities. The Glock 30 (& the lighter, thinner G-36), Springfield XD45c, & even the S&W, are larger guns.

The XD45c, Glock 30 & 36, & S&W's are really compacts compared to the Taurus & Kahr. The Taurus Mil Pro PT145 & the new Kahr PM45 are sub-compacts compared to the rest.

Sprinfield Armory XD45c: 7.25" long, 1.25" wide, & 29.25 oz.
Glock 30: 6.77" long, 1.27" wide, & 23.99 oz.
Glock 36: 6.77" long, 1.13" wide, & 20.11 oz.
Taurus MilPro PT145: 6.125" long, 1.25" wide, & 22.2 oz.
Kahr PM45: 5.67" long, 1.01" wide, & 17.3 oz.

As far as personal experience, I have a Kahr PM9, Taurus MilPro PT145, & a Glock 36. All have been reliable. During break-in, I had a couple problems with the G-36 & PT145, but that was because of ammo issues. My Dept. gives me ammo for both practice & carry. Sometimes the practice ammo is old or of inferior quality, because of cost cutting. Thankfully, they don't skimp on duty ammo.

I use the PM9 more, but if I feel I need a .45, I carry the PT145. The PT145 is shorter than my old G-26, slightly wider & heavier, but it also holds 11 rounds of .45 compared to the 26's 11 rounds of 9mm.

The PM45 may have some teething problems, but like their PM9 & other models when new, they'll figure it out.

When the PM45 proves itself reliable, I think your two top choices for a "sub-compact" .45 will be between the PM45 & MilPro PT145. The PM45 is the lightest, shortest, & thinnest, but holds 6 rounds total. The PT145 is less than .5" longer, nearly .25" thicker, & nearly 5 oz. heavier, but holds 11 rounds total.

#17 ·
Not A Total Glock Fan...

I usually EDC a Kimber Ultra, but I do like and also carry the Glock-36...smaller grip...

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#18 ·
Despite my particular Kahr P45 having some teething problems, I understand recent guns are a-ok.....I have no doubt that my Kahr will be as good as those.

I've heard great things about the Bersa Ultrawhatever .45's.

I have a Beretta Mini-Cougar 8045D; outstanding gun, as is my (oldie-but-still-an-oh-so-goodie) Star PD.

#19 ·
I voted for the G30. I have one that Glock sent me when I was having problems with my G36. I would rather have had the 36 because it was pretty slim. But the 30 is still a great gun, with good capacity. I'll carry it again in the cooler months.

It usually rides in a bianchi pancake with a 13 round G21 mag on the weak side.

#20 ·
I am looking at ordering the XD45 Compact in the near future. I shot a friends XD45 service and was very impressed. With the compact you get the best of both worlds. A shorter frame for carry or the longer if you prefer it. And this comes from a Glock junkie
Mike

#22 ·
I do not like Taurus , as I had a incident with my PT140. I hear kahr has some problems from internet reading and gun shops. The choice is ultimately yours, and what you like /dislike and wish to pay for a pistol.

#26 ·
The best bang for the buck concept is not the best solution. All the guns in this poll plus many more will work for you. Get out and figure what works best for you. Money should not be an issue. I have guns by Springfield, Glock, Sig Sauer, and S&W and all feel a little different but I can shoot them all well. I would be hard pressed to say which is best. The main concern is that all of these weapons would serve me well if I neded to defend my life or the life of others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.