Compact .45

Compact .45

This is a discussion on Compact .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wondering what would be the best bang for my buck. There is a price difference between the three. Is it really worth the ...

View Poll Results: Best compact .45 for the money.

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 30

37 19.47%
  • XD45

61 32.11%
  • Taurus PT145

24 12.63%
  • other

68 35.79%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compact .45

Compact .45

I am wondering what would be the best bang for my buck.

There is a price difference between the three. Is it really worth the money to pay more for the Glock or XD or would I be happy buying the Taurus?
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

I'm a big fan of my XD45C.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Have only owned the PT145 and I like it.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I have owned the XD, the glock 27 (not the 30 but pretty much same size), and the pt-145 and I have to say the pt-145 beats them all hands down in terms of trigger, grip, accuracy, and carry comfort. I cannot speak to longevity beause I have but about 2500 rounds through each of them. I sold my XD to a friend, gave the 27 to my brother as a gift and I still own the PT.

IMHO it is not worth paying more.

I have a Kahr P45 on Lay-Away.

For me, I like Kahr. They have always been reliable and the Trigger is IMHO the best out there for a DAO Autoloader. I have a PM9 at the present time that I use as a second BUG. If the P45 is anything like the PM9 it's a winner.

I used to have a Glock 36, but it was the most unreliable 45 I ever had. My EDC, off-duty, is an N-Frame 4" Barrel .45 ACP Revolver. I have "Six For Sure" and five more in the J-Frame before I have to start thinking about a reload, or going to the second BUG.

I realize that not everyone wants to carry a BUG, or two. I personally prefer to do that. I've seen enough that I don't carry one handgun, unless it's dictated by policy.

I know it's a little on the exspensive side, but I would look at Kahr if you are seriously considering a .45 ACP for CCW.

Biker

New Member Array a1huntingsupply's Avatar

Arrow

Best bang for the money........its hard to beat the XD45.

For a compact .45 I have always preferred the S&W 4516. All stainless steel, 8 rounds including the one in the chamber. They made models 4516, 4516-1, 4516-2 and 4516-3. Mine is a 4516-2 Special Model which means the "decocker-safety lever" will only decock the hammer. It has no "safe" position, it springloads to the ready to fire position. The pistol is always ready to fire just like all my other pistols.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Had to vote for the G-30. I carry it all the time. Probably one of the most accurate handguns I own too. Just picked up a G-36 and so far has been reliable. I want to get a couple hundred more rounds thru to make sure.

I was surprised at the difference in thickness at how much better I can hide the 36. Even riding in a holster meant for the 30 , I can put it iwb just about anywere and not worry about it printing.

I am not a big fan of the XD's. Nothing against them,they shoot well and are gaining a reputation fo reliability, but I don't see the point in a grip safety on striker fired guns. Just seems like one more thing to go wrong. And believe me, Mr. Murphy and I know each other well

The Taurus does have my interest though too. I thought it was a neet little gun when it came out. Wouldn't mind trying, the 145 or the 645 (?).

Quote Originally Posted by g3036 View Post

I am not a big fan of the XD's. Nothing against them but I don't see the point in a grip safety on striker fired guns. Just seems like one more thing to go wrong. And believe me, Mr. Murphy and I know each outher well
    The grip safety has served the 1911 through numerous wars and skirmishes

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I think it's a pretty close tossup between Glock and XD, but I'd throw my vote to Glock. I like their grip angle better... I feel like I have better control and recovery time with it.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I'll take glock over the others any day.My experience with tarus was anything less than good.I own a springfield too just not xd.I just look
    around and see how many law enforcement agencies carry glock
    over all others.Cops are the hardest customers on any products
    so that why I take glock.

All the pistols you brought up are great handguns. I love my Taurus, it's only a PT140, but it's the same platform. Glocks are great, just not my cup of tea. I'm also a huge fan of the XD. What feels best in your hand? What are you most comfortable with?
    God Bless America!!

I have no Idea what one cost now, but I have been very Happy with my Cold Defender. But then I am a 1911 type person. Needless to say I checked other.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I have no Idea what one cost now, but I have been very Happy with my Cold Defender. But then I am a 1911 type person. Needless to say I checked other.
    I'll second this. Three years with mine so far and I have been very happy with it.

O.K. Here's an "other" vote for the Sig P245. Super accurate. Totally dependable. Thin enough to conceal well. Versatile in that it can sport an extended (8 round) mag if one wants a full length grip and the standard 6 round butt disappears under a shirt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links