New addition to the family. New M&P9 (Lots of pics)

New addition to the family. New M&P9 (Lots of pics)

This is a discussion on New addition to the family. New M&P9 (Lots of pics) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As some of you may know I have been buying a S&W M&P9 for about a month now. At least it feels that way. Well ...

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

New addition to the family. New M&P9 (PICS)

As some of you may know I have been buying a S&W M&P9 for about a month now. At least it feels that way.

Well I took the day off today and drove down to Buds Guns in Paris Kentucky (just outside of Lexington). Not a bad drive, about 80 miles. The weather was bad, but other that not bad.

Bud has a nice shop and nicer prices.

I got to the counter and it was right to business. I knew what I was after. The price for the M&P9 was higher, but the sales person had no problem giving me the internet price. As a matter of fact he mentioned it before I did.

I completed all paperwork and then picked up my new toy. Along with the purchase of a new gun you get free range time. I had brought along 250 rounds so off I went to try her out.

I have to say I am very impressed with S&W's M&P package. Included for 400.00 was the M&P9 along with 2- 17rd mags, 3 grips (small med and large) and finally a gun lock. Very nice.

On to the shooting.

The first thing I noticed was how the gun felt in my hand. It fit well and had a more molded feel than the XD or Glock. To me the XD and Glock frames have a generic feel to them. This one fit your hand well and has three different grips so you can change the way it fits in your hand.

So I loaded the mags and I have to say that when you get 12 or 13 rounds loaded that mag spring really gets stiff. I had to fight to get all 17 rounds loaded. Ok, it wasn't that bad, but I am used to .45 single stacks.

I ran the target out to 21 feet and proceeded to take the first shots. I have to say I was impressed. a real nice group. Especially since this is the first time I had shot the M&P.

I'm not to technical, but let me say that I like the trigger pull and the quick reset on the trigger. The take up is a little long , but it did not affect my shooting.

I really like the way the M&P9 feels and shoots. 250 rounds and no FTE's or FTF's. It performed flawlessly.

Like I said not a very technical review.

On to the pics.

All the large targets are at 21ft and the small bullseye was at 30ft. Not a tight group at 30ft but all were on target.

Lastly, I was talking with some of the other shooters today and I had the opportunity to shoot the XD9 in a 3inch and a 4 inch. Both guns shot extremely well. I would call them tack drivers. I would have done well to purchase a XD and I may just have to add one to my collection.

Now it's off to find a holster.

Sorry Sixto, your not getting this one.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by BIG E; May 5th, 2007 at 01:24 AM.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Nice write up...I love mine!!!!

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    shiny....nice shooting also...
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Glad your happy with the new purchase. Now just contact one of the custom holster makers on here and get that holster ordered up.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    Glad your happy with the new purchase. Now just contact one of the custom holster makers on here and get that holster ordered up.
    Mike
    Yea, I have been looking real hard at the Comp-Tac's. I like the design and the fact that you can change the mode of carry.

I also need a OWB rig and I think i'm going to K&D for that.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I like the look and feel of the M&P also. I have shot a M&P 9mm like yours and I also was impressed.

I may add one to the ever growing collection at some point. I really like the look and feel of the compact version of both the M&P 9 and M&P .40

Nice shooting too.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It's a sweet gun. I shot the M&P 45 a couple of weeks ago at the S&W range, and at 75 feet out, it put all shots in the black.

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds like one happy camper!! Good news.

When I handled eagle5's M&P compact 9 I was impressed with trigger feel - it was very acceptable but what I found surprising was, it was real hard to detect any reset. I think I would like that as it suggest reset is relatively early and so good for rapid fire.

I have yet to shoot one but hope to try eagle5's out sometime if we get to range together.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Sounds like one happy camper!! Good news.

When I handled eagle5's M&P compact 9 I was impressed with trigger feel - it was very acceptable but what I found surprising was, it was real hard to detect any reset. I think I would like that as it suggest reset is relatively early and so good for rapid fire.

I have yet to shoot one but hope to try eagle5's out sometime if we get to range together.
    Yes, you are correct. The reset is very short and very unnoticeable.

The trigger on the M&P9 is nice. It is set up so that the first shot is DA. After that it is SA. The feel actually changes after the first shot. I have read where this may take some getting use to, but I had no problem.

It will be interesting to see how it carries.

I just need to find some cheap rounds now.

My anniversary is next weekend. Hmmmm.

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Assistant Administrator
    The DA/SA transition is what some folks worry about - and of course it varies gun to gun but ..... I have found with SIG's and SW99 that quite simply, it is just practice that is needed.

I use my 228 for IDPA and these days really do not notice the change-over any more. My old P95 has a near ridiculous difference on travel between DA and SA but - even that can be accomodated with practice.

IMO grip is a biggie - get that right and be competent with trigger finger and all else is easy.

"Cheap rounds" ?? Good luck - all I see is price hikes!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I bought mine at Bud's too (I drove north about the same distance). Nice folks, nicer gun. I went there to buy a SW9VE, and walked out with the M&P. Cleaned it for the first time today, and it could be easier. Disassembly was easy, but the take-down lever was a pain when putting it back together. I guess it will get easier after I do it a few times. It was still easier than the 1911. I guess my PA-63 has me spoiled. It takes about 5 seconds to field strip/reassemble.

Links