Excellent CCW weapon..... - Page 2

Excellent CCW weapon.....

This is a discussion on Excellent CCW weapon..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by pogo2 I also have a G23 and admire the gun's many fine qualities, but I would dispute your statement that a G23 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Excellent CCW weapon.....

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I also have a G23 and admire the gun's many fine qualities, but I would dispute your statement that a G23 is thinner than a Kimber 1911. I have measured the width of both guns, and the Glock 23 is about 1.0 inches thick in the slide and 1.1 inches thick in the grip. A Kimber or similar 1911 is 0.9 inches thick in the slide and just over 1.0 inches thick in the grip, if you use thin grip panels.

I will admit that the G23 has no sharp edges and is smooth and rounded at the corners, like a used bar of soap. This helps in comfortable carry.
    My bad, I looked at the width of the grip on the websites, not the width of the frame.....either way the G23 is lighter and is more comfortable to me. You have to admit that having almost twice the capacity and essentially the same width overall is pretty impressive, to say the least.

Great gun.

Glad to see another happy Glock fan, especially of the Model 23.

I bought two Model 23's a while back, both had the factory night sights installed from the factory. Gave one to my 22 year old son and kept one for myself. We have a good time at the range together and he is getting to be a very proficient shooter.

We both have CHL's, but carry differently. He prefers IWB, I go with OWB. I bought us both some good shoulder holsters as well, probably have to wait until next winter to try them out.

Some of the prices folks have mentioned seem high, but I guess the location makes all the difference. Here in north central Texas, I paid $489.00 each for the two Glock 23's, Both were equipped with night sights and the gun shop included three extra 13 round mags for each gun. I thought it was a good deal.

Equipped both with the Glock rail lights last month, working on Crimson Trace Lasers now. Already have one on my 23, searching e-bay for another good deal so I can get one for my son.

I also concealed carried a Kimber Ultra Carry II, I am much more comfortable with the reliability of Glocks.

RB
    as an alternate or BUG, do NOT try a Ruger SP101
    whatever you do, do NOT try one

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    Glad to see another happy Glock fan, especially of the Model 23.

I bought two Model 23's a while back, both had the factory night sights installed from the factory. Gave one to my 22 year old son and kept one for myself. We have a good time at the range together and he is getting to be a very proficient shooter.

We both have CHL's, but carry differently. He prefers IWB, I go with OWB. I bought us both some good shoulder holsters as well, probably have to wait until next winter to try them out.

Some of the prices folks have mentioned seem high, but I guess the location makes all the difference. Here in north central Texas, I paid $489.00 each for the two Glock 23's, Both were equipped with night sights and the gun shop included three extra 13 round mags for each gun. I thought it was a good deal.

Equipped both with the Glock rail lights last month, working on Crimson Trace Lasers now. Already have one on my 23, searching e-bay for another good deal so I can get one for my son.

I also concealed carried a Kimber Ultra Carry II, I am much more comfortable with the reliability of Glocks.
    My gun shop here is a bit higher than most but he has a huge selection and gives a nice trade price if you bought the gun from him in the first place. I like supporting his shop....lots of guns to handle although I wish it was also a range.

I also think prices on everything are going up....supply and demand especially on the hi-cap stuff. just look at ammo prices lately......

I'm a GLOCK fan too. Had not thought much of them, UNTIL I tried one. Now I own four, G19, G 26, G 23 & G 27. Can't have too many GLOCKS it seems. Mine all have NIGHT SIGHTS and the smooth triggers ( about wore off the tip of my trigger finger with the standard grooved triggers ) I've also got a Glock combo laser/light. I keep that on my G23 for a home defense gun. The G26 & G 27 usually come along with me. G19 gets lots of use on the range., as 9mm ammo is cheap.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Glocks are not for me ( or at least any one i have shot to date ) . That being said congrats on finding a handgun you both like and have faith in . As far as the thinner thing ( vs any 1911 ) i dont believe it but a glock does carry well for its size and likely more comfortable . You have selected a fine handgun which will likely serve you well even with abuse , just dont ask me to fall in love with it LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    If it works for you its a keeper. Enjoy.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Carried all day yesterday and today........I love this gun, except I'm afraid I have become quite the "Glock enthusiast".

I love it.

It's hard to own just one Glock. My first was a 19. Then a 17, 26, 23. Had to sell the 17 and 26 . Picked up a 27 and a 36. Minor issue with the 36 so a 30 took its place.

But the 23 is definately a good carry gun. High capacity of a good round. Lots of luck with it.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links