Excellent CCW weapon.....

This is a discussion on Excellent CCW weapon..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may have been covered but I have found the perfect CCW weapon for me....a Glock 23. I started with a Sig P229 but that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excellent CCW weapon.....

Excellent CCW weapon.....

This may have been covered but I have found the perfect CCW weapon for me....a Glock 23. I started with a Sig P229 but that gun is over 40 ounces loaded, so I traded that in on a Kimber Ultra Carry II and found that gun, while very compact, was not extremely reliable. I decided to give the Glock a look and I am sure glad I did. It is thinner than the Kimber, lighter, has a higher capacity (.40 vs. .45 is not an issue to me) and will shoot every time no matter what I feed it. The polymer frame is naturally "melted" so the gun is very comfortable against my body as well. I had considered the Smith and Wesson M&P .40 as well as the Steyer A-1 and the HK but after all the looks the Glock won out. I wasn't a Glock admirer until I got one....I really like this pistol. Give one a look!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    There are a lot of Glock fans & it seems that the G23 is one of the favorites. I have two, one for me & one for my wife.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    How much? I need to take a look.

Mine was listed at $529 brand new, comes with case and 2 mags. I traded the Kimber and basically paid $39 (some of the tax and the $10 background check) BTW, mine has the 13 round mags vs. the 10 round.

Another thing I forgot to mention, the pistol field strips in seconds. Very "Sig-like". The Kimber I had was not difficult but was considerably more involved. I like the low maintenance-high reliability factor.

kpw
    Congrats on the new shooter. Hard to go wrong with a G23. Get yourself a bunch of ammo and shoot the snot out of it, you'll probably like it even more.

VIP Member
    Enjoy the new gun....
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I wasnt a Glock fan till I shot one. I bought a 26,love it! There WILL be more! Shoot safe and have fun!

My G23 is a part of me now. I hate to be without it. It's a great gun. Utterly reliable and simple.

I recently acquired a new G27 and it replaced my XD40 as my carry gun. What's even better is how many ways there are to configure and carry this gun. Flat base-plate for smallest config, mag extenstion w/finger groove for "standard" carry, or a G23 mag with grip extender for "large" carry. I could also get G22 mags with a different grip extender for 15+1...call it "super duty!"

I love my gun too.

I have a G27 and it is a great little gun. I like the 27 over the 23 because of the barrel length. I like to carry OWB and the shorter barrel makes it a little easier to conceal.

I have never had an issue with the gun. I've done everything to make it jam and nothing. It feeds anything that I've put in it. I've pretty much settled on 165 grain Golden Sabre's for my carry load!
    Tony

G23 thickness measurement

Quote Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
    I decided to give the Glock a look and I am sure glad I did. It is thinner than the Kimber.
    I also have a G23 and admire the gun's many fine qualities, but I would dispute your statement that a G23 is thinner than a Kimber 1911. I have measured the width of both guns, and the Glock 23 is about 1.0 inches thick in the slide and 1.1 inches thick in the grip. A Kimber or similar 1911 is 0.9 inches thick in the slide and just over 1.0 inches thick in the grip, if you use thin grip panels.

I will admit that the G23 has no sharp edges and is smooth and rounded at the corners, like a used bar of soap. This helps in comfortable carry.

I never thought I'd ever own a Glock until I shoot one. A month later I own one, and I'm thinking about another one by the end of the year.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Yep. You found out the CCW secret.

I think that the Glock 23 is the perfect carry gun. I love mine.

I went through a lot of carry guns in the 18 years or so that I have had a carry permit. I started with a Taurus PT-99, a huge gun for the 9mm round. Basically the same as the Berretta M9 but the safety is in a much better spot, on the frame vs. up on the slide. Then went to a Springfield 1911 in .45. I liked it but it had some reliability issues that I was never really able to resolve. Moved from that gun to a Rossi snub nosed 6 shot, .357 magnum revolver. Carried that gun for about 4 years and then decided I wanted more capacity and went to a Star Ultrastar which I still own. An inexpensive gun that is a .40 cal straight shooter and very easy to maintain. But, it still only has 8 rounds in the magazine so I went to the Springfield XD .40sc. I loved that gun and in fact liked the grip better than the one on my Glock 23. But I had a hankering for a different gun. I couldn't make up my mind and told my wife I may trade the XD in on either a Glock 23 or a S&W M&P .40. My wife went straight to the safe and claimed the XD as her own and proclaimed that it would not be getting traded in. She still carries it.
    As a result, I inherited her Sig P239 in 9mm and carried it for a few months before finally giving in and getting my G23 as a reward for loosing 120 pounds over the course of 10 months or so.

Now, I am a complete Glock fan. About the only thing I would really like to see them do to improve the design is to engineer into the design some interchangeable back straps like the M&P, the Walther P99, the FN, the new H&K and many other polymer guns out there now. If they did that, I could think of no reason to buy any other gun.

Enjoy that G23, I love mine and it just gets easier to carry over time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Carry Weapon

Selecting the ideal CCW is about a personal as "boxers or briefs" and there are many valid opinions on which is best, but I finally selected the G23 several months ago. Works for me but may not for others.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I agree that the "perfect" CCW is very subjective, & for me, it's not the G-23. However, I noticed a poster commenting that the G 23 was actually thinner than his Kimber.

I've notice on looking at dimensions of various guns that 1911 type guns "measure" wider than Glocks & many other guns. But many people note that the appeal of 1911 type guns (Single stack, I'm assuming), is that it's thin.

What gives?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links