I Chose Walther P99c Over M&Pc 9, Here's Why

This is a discussion on I Chose Walther P99c Over M&Pc 9, Here's Why within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a new Walther P99c in 9mm insted of the M&Pc 9mm. I wanted the M&Pc in 9mm, however, M&P's sold in Massachusetts ...

I recently bought a new Walther P99c in 9mm insted of the M&Pc 9mm.
    I wanted the M&Pc in 9mm, however, M&P's sold in Massachusetts must have a 10 lb. trigger (per Attorney General).

I just don't think I would have been happy with a 10 lb. DAO trigger on the M&P. The Walther P99c has a DA/SA 8.8lb/4.4lb. trigger and a decocker which is sweet.

I am very happy with the walther, extremly accurate, only 18+ oz. empty, but, it doesn't feel as good in the hand as the M&P, and the mag. release takes some getting used to.

I would (under the Mass. 10 lb. trigger circumstances) definatley buy the walther over the M&P if I had to do it all over again, however, I would really have to think it over if it weren't for the Massachusetts requirements.

Oh Yes, I almost forgot, You can't buy new Glocks in Mass., so, I had to rule out those.

Sigbear

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    You could have bought an M&P and had a trigger job. The trigger weight requirement applied to the OEM. What you do to the gun afterwards is none of Coakely's business.

The P99 is definitely a sweet pistol, but don't let the Mass trigger stop you from getting an M&P if you want one. There are definitely ways around your state's ******* regs.

VIP Member
    I haven't put a compact M&P in my hands yet; but I do have a P99C AS....love the gun; you'll get used to the mag release and find you can do lightning quick mag exchanges without shifting the gun in your hand.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    As long as you are happy with the handgun that you can buy due to your state enforced compromise statutes congratulations on the new gun .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Ron
    You made no mistake getting the P99c. I have one. It is a sweet gun. I love it. Do you have the AS trigger?

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

AS Trigger Indeed.

Hi Ron,

Yes, I do have the AS trigger and really like it .

Sigbear

Lead Moderator
    The P99 series is a nice gun. getting "around" state law may not be the best idea, if you need to use your gun to defend yourself.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by sigbear View Post
    Hi Ron,

Yes, I do have the AS trigger and really like it .

Sigbear
    Great. That is the way to go with the P99. Enjoy the gun.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I have a P99 QA which is really nice. Glad you like your Walther!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    You could have bought an M&P and had a trigger job. The trigger weight requirement applied to the OEM. What you do to the gun afterwards is none of Coakely's business.

The P99 is definitely a sweet pistol, but don't let the Mass trigger stop you from getting an M&P if you want one. There are definitely ways around your state's ******* regs.

I agree fully - but pratically must be looked at - if used in a self defense situation, in Mass (and any anit 2A state) it is best to have stock weapons that have not had alterations to make their function different. i.e. changing the trigger pull when regs specically state that when new it must meet certain requirments. (I don't think changing grips or sites is a big deal) Why? because the prosecuting attorneys will zero in on this and turn you into the Bad Guy, and civil suits will say the real BG needs to get millions because you didn't play the victim like their society ideals dictate.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

P99 after market stuff

I put a Sprinco guiderod/spring kit in my P99 and WOW sweet but hard as hell to rack. Really strong. spring works in both directions and is stainless steel I believe. Also put Tritium sights on it and a company from Canada makes a magwell that is pretty nifty.
    RVN 68-69 101st Abn. Div. D Co. 101st Avn. Bn.

Mr. Sigbear,

May I be so brash to ask what you $pent on your new P99c ? I'm vacillating between the Walther and a CZ 2075. I too am a proud owner of a Sig (229 SAS .40), Sometimes it's to big for me the for concealed carry.

T-
    S&W M&P .40 Compact
    Para Ordnance 18.9 9mm
    Wesson Mod 15 .357
    Ruger GP100 .357
    Remington 870 Express 12ga

Walther P99c

TheK9

I paid $569 for the Walther P99c in 9mm. I have the Sig P220 and the P226 and love them both, however, this little P99c conceals nicely and the weight 18oz. empty makes this little guy comfortable for all day carry.

I can't get over how accurate this gun is.

Sigbear

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by sigbear View Post
    TheK9

I paid $569 for the Walther P99c in 9mm. I have the Sig P220 and the P226 and love them both, however, this little P99c conceals nicely and the weight 18oz. empty makes this little guy comfortable for all day carry.

I can't get over how accurate this gun is.

Sigbear
    That is a very good price. Anything under $600 is acceptable.

And, speaking of all day carry, I had Bob Mika make a pocket holster for My P99c, and I am able to pocket carry very comfortably in cargo or docker shorts and pants.

J. R. R. Tolkien

Links