Choose One: SIG P229R DAK, H&K P2000 LEM, KAHR T9 - Page 2

Choose One: SIG P229R DAK, H&K P2000 LEM, KAHR T9

This is a discussion on Choose One: SIG P229R DAK, H&K P2000 LEM, KAHR T9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Springfield EMP...

View Poll Results: After reading my post, which gun would you choose?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • SIG P229 DAK

48 51.06%
  • H&K P2000 LEM

34 36.17%
  • KAHR T9

12 12.77%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choose One: SIG P229R DAK, H&K P2000 LEM, KAHR T9

VIP Member
    Springfield EMP

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar
    I can't speak for Kahr because i have never fired one. I have however fired many a round with both SIGS and HKs. As far as reliability is concerned, the HK wins hands down. I put a lot of lead down range with 229, 226 and p2000, USPc and USP. IMO the trigger on the SIGS is much smoother. I also think the SIGs are sexier. However, they have had a tendency to FTE with me on several trips when they haven't been cleaned. I haven't ever had an HK jam. I put over 1200 rnds through my USP without cleaning, at times, without so much as a hiccup. Probably an isolated experience, and I feel both the 229 and p2000 are both the pedigrees of the field, but I would also like to add that the others are right, you may also want to give Glock another look, they are extremely rugged pistols, and will probably fill your needs well.
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

My Sig P220 Carry is a sweet shooter. It's single action only. I don't care for the transition of a trigger from DA to SA. So give me DAO or SAO. The SIG DAK trigger is a pretty sweet set-up. The next gun I buy will probably be a 229DAK (only because they don't offer a carry sized SAO in 9mm).

+1 for Sig

I am so happy at the number of responses I have already received. I DO plan (when I get my next paycheck) to go to the range and shoot the 3 in my list, and also a springfield xd and s&w M&p 9 ... but again nothing beats the words of experience and I thank you guys.

I have to add, one thing that is REALLY important to me in this decision is the fact that this may be the only gun I ever have a chance to buy I live in a city run by ...uh... a bunch of liberal douchebags and I fear that my city may go the way of San Francisco and do away with my 2nd ammendment rights. Couple that with my personal idea that Los Angeles is a city where we need more intelligent armed CITIZENS, but the city's biggest influences are PETA, Pelosi, Rosie "Fat Mouth" O'Donnell, and the environmentalist "religion"

It is really a horrifying feeling that the city I was born to is turning into such a nightmare. Anyhow that is some background into my decision.

-JT
    Last edited by glasslobster; May 7th, 2007 at 01:36 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something

Administrator
    I would say the 229 for a first gun. Kahrs are great, I love mine, but they are not a good learning gun at all. They are really meant for those who have a little experiance under their and can follow directions. (break in)

The HK is an OK gun, but you might find it tough to outfit the gun with holsters etc.
    "Just blame Sixto"

pax
    You've done all your homework and know the sort of thing you want. That's excellent.

The final decision shouldn't be up to a public-opinion poll (although it's a good way to discover other factors you may not have discovered yet -- smart move there too!)

But your deciding factor should not be the outcome of the vote. The deciding factor should be whichever one fits your hand the best.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Tough between the SIG and HK, but I chose the former.

Also consider the SIG Pro.....cheaper, but VERY similar to the SIG P229.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

My choice is simple, SIG. Got my 229DAK in .40 back in december, so far ~3500 rounds downrange. Not a single problem with the gun, trigger is so smooth now its sexy. Oh, plus its an intimidating hunk of steel if you ever need to show somebody what they're messing with.

The deciding factor should be whichever one fits your hand the best.
    Yup. So long as your selected gun meets your criteria for reliability and concealability, it should be the one that has the chance of becoming a simple extension of your own arm, not a tool that requires much thought to manipulate. That really comes down to how well it points, how natural it feels, how well you can shoot with either hand, how simple the controls are, etc. And those aspects you can only get via some saddle time at the range.

Another for consideration: The CZ 75 series of pistols. The 75B, 75D PCR, 75 Compact, P01 and 2075 RAMI are all excellent guns. Known for their reliability. They each are fairly simple to operate with either hand. They are accurate. Many people speak the Glock 19 and the CZ 75 line in the same breath, and that's saying a lot. I've got a CZ P01 and love it.

Keep in mind that a simple trigger/action job (~$150) on any carry gun is a worthwhile investment, to ensure that it's as reliable and smooth out of the gate as you can get it.

Further, if you know what you want and can afford to wait through a few trips to the gun shows, you can usually find your selected pistol used, for a significant discount off the shop prices. Something to consider, if you're open to a trigger job, refreshing the springs, etc. With some guns (ie, a well-worn Combat Commander), a gun that's broken-in can behave even better than a new one, swallowing any ammo you feed it. Not all guns do that. In fact, most don't.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    I have both - Sig 229R DAK and H&K P2000 LEM. I like both. The only drawback of the H&K P2000 for me is my grip interferes with the slide lock and prevents it from locking the slide back on the last round. I consider that a minor problem. But, I absolutely love the ambidextrious mag release on the P2000.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I am biased as I only have the Sig 229 DAK. I don't particularly like the looks of the HK and a friend of mine was issued the HK P2000 and has had several failures with it. I have had no experience with the Kahrs. For a one and only handgun I like the Sig. I have several thousand rounds through mine without an issue. I carry it everyday and shoot it almost every weekend. It is accurate, reliable, good looking, a nice size for a combat handgun, and the trigger is smooth. I vote for the Sig.

Trust me, I am going to the range next payday and shoot these 3 guns until I spend about $100 on ammo. I just wanted to do this poll to make sure that all the things I read about these pistols are true. It seems to be the case as I already had a good idea that the SIG would be the way to go. Thanks again for all the great responses, I could not have found a better group of people to ask their opinions.

-J.T.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Of the three you listed, I'd say the Sig. You should also consider an XD or a CZ (or its clone).

I have fired both a sig and an HK. I have the regular version of the 229 and a friend of mine has a HK USP. Both are great gun to fire. I really enjoyed firing each.

Since I have more range time with the Sig, that would be my choice, as I have put close to 1000 rounds down range with out cleaning or anything and never had a problem. I was going to see how many rounds it took to get a jam, but I have a problem with having a dirty gun, so I had to clean it.

As it has already been said. Find a gun that will fit YOUR hand.
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Have Fired all 3 by manufacture name. Carried a 229 for a while and an HK. You said I could make an alternative recommendation. For the Price of 1 HK 2000 LEM you could buy one G17 used from CDNN, and one brand new G19 or close to it. Parts and Mags GLOCK has all the others beat hands down. 10 bucks for a very reliable Magazine vs. 39.00 for HK, and 30-40 for the Sig and Kahr Mags. For the money your spending and the reason's there all very reliable, but if you want the best bang for you buck and you can shoot one. GLOCK.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links