Steel vs Stainless Steel - Page 2

Steel vs Stainless Steel

This is a discussion on Steel vs Stainless Steel within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your comfort level when carrying any particular weapon is a very individual thing. I can handle carrying a steel framed 1911 and I'm roughly the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Your comfort level when carrying any particular weapon is a very individual thing. I can handle carrying a steel framed 1911 and I'm roughly the same size as you (similar weight just much shorter). I much prefer carrying my aluminum framed pistol however. The biggest thing you can do to make a carry rig comfortable is get a good, wide belt. The best I've found so far is the 1.75" wide Wilderness Belt. You'll quickly find that it's a never ending search however. Best of luck to you.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Stainless is about 18% heavier than steel....

dwolstein - you are pretty much on the money except the last part. hardening magnetic stainless will significantly improve the corrosion resistance. Soft & magnetic, not so resistant.

"crappier grade" is not always the case though - there are many tradeoffs. Some alloys are made for high corrosion resistance (316), some resist high corrosion at incredible temps(440), some are easily welded(316L), some are easily machined(303), some are easily rolled into sheet(304), some can be made more hard (416)

For a firearm, stainless would primarily have to be easy to cast/forge/roll (depending on specific part & manufacturer's chosen technique).

Administrator

Funny that I have never been able to get a Stainless firearm or barrel to show rust.
    Even a firearm totally wet in a holster outdoors for 3 days.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QK, a firearm is a finished product. Stainless and passivated or oxided / carbonitrided.

You wouldn't want to leave some unfinished stainless flavors to the elements. 416 for example will certainly develop that brown bloom in short order.

I am looking for a great piece I read on the physical effect of hardening and how it increases corrosion resistance by altering the crystalline grain boundries, but I'm not able to find it.

Let me close with:
    - firearms are made well and aluminum/stainless/alloy/polymer will hold up fine if you follow the mfg's recs on loads (+P in alumiunm, etc)
    - don't compare "mill" material properties with finished good quality, processing in the middle to change those properties (intentionally by the mfg, for the most part)
    Last edited by Shizzlemah; May 7th, 2007 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typo- oxygen, carbon, close enough 'eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    "crappier grade" is not always the case though - there are many tradeoffs. Some alloys are made for high corrosion resistance (316), some resist high corrosion at incredible temps(440), some are easily welded(316L), some are easily machined(303), some are easily rolled into sheet(304), some can be made more hard (416)
    I was just thinking about the restaurant business since the other poster had mentioned that. There, I'm thinking the stainless is mostly in sheet form, used for tables, appliances, etc., so I'd think that corrosion resistance is the only really important trait here, not things like ultimate strength or hardness.

In guns, the properties needed would be vastly different due to the stresses involved.

heres stainless for ya....

" Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    heres stainless for ya....

So you carry a stainless every day? How is it, I do have a small frame though, so...

Actually I don't carry it everyday.... and that ain't the holster I carry it in. I use one of K&D's cochise defenders' when I do.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Hmmm... i have a para that is 'stainless'. it has a bit of rust in a couple of spots. mind you it has not been gently taken care of, guess you might even say i have on times been negligent in its care. still it is a nice piece even though i was surprised at the rust. now i have a old blued beretta that has not shown any rust with the same treatment for many more years. go figure.
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    Wipe the rust off and apply some good ole car wax.

That'll usually keep it from rusting.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links