Anyone Carry a .44 Magnum or Above?

This is a discussion on Anyone Carry a .44 Magnum or Above? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah, yeah...I know it would be overkill. I'm just curious for entertainment's sake... By the way, the question is regarding concealed carry, not for defending ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Carry a .44 Magnum or Above?

Anyone Carry a .44 Magnum or Above?

Yeah, yeah...I know it would be overkill. I'm just curious for entertainment's sake...

By the way, the question is regarding concealed carry, not for defending against bears, etc.

2. Remove Ads

sure i have carried a 44 and if i could find a good holster for it would probably carry my smith carry comp

?Have also carried my 500 4" to prove to disbelievers it could be done in shorts and t shirt

I use to carry my 4" Anaconda when I travelled, although it was usually loaded with Hornady XTP specials ... wish I still had that gun
    Jack

Senior Moderator
    I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

i too have carried a 44mag a S&W 29 with 4" brrl also carried my 500 and 460S&W's just to prove it could be done.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

In the past I carried my 5 shot L-frame S&W in .44spcl quite a bit. used a 255grain swc loaded to Elmer Keiths specs with 2400. Good for bears or men. Carried cci 200 grain gold dots in it most of the time though. Sold it, nice profit and nice gun if you can find one.
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be Happy" Ben Franklin

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    i too have carried a 44mag a S&W 29 with 4" brrl also carried my 500 and 460S&W's just to prove it could be done.
    I only have one question: How was your quick draw?

I have a 3 inch 629 that I carry once in a while. Gets pretty heavy unless it is in the seat of the truck. Steve48

I've carried my Ruger Super Redhawk .44mag with a 7.5'' barrel a couple of times just to see if it could be done. It's not all that uncomfortable at first. But I found that after an hour or two I began developing a "gangsta" limp from the 3.4lbs of steel hanging on my left side.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

VIP Member
    Yep. I have a 3" S&W 629 and a 3" S&W 29 and also a 3" S&W 624 and a 3" S&W 24. I have the S&W OWB holster that fits them and they do get carried. I carry the 629 and 624 the most.

We were at the gun club comparing carry guns and my VP showed his PPK. I said it was very nice but as the ever well dressed President I preferred something with a bit more power. I showed my 629 to the approval of many because most hadn't a clue I was even carrying.

I am usually considered fairly well dressed as I wear a sport coat or blazer most of the time for work. So concealing a bigger handgun isn't an issue for me.

My friend has carried his 4" 500 Mag concealed. He says it does get heavy after awhile though.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

If I were to carry a revolver, it'd probably be an N-frame, most likely a 610 chambered for 10mm auto.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

My favorite one after the BG got himself beat up to make it look like Harry did it was: Clint: "Anyone knows I didn't do it"
    Boss: "How's that Harry?"
    Clint: "Because he looks too damn good."
    XD9SC, S&W 637
    Taurus 85, SKS
    Nevada CCW
    Utah CCW

Yes, a 3" 629 in an outside the waistband holster, but it has to be cool weather since I'm little and it takes a coat to cover it up. I have also played around with a Ruger Vaquero in 44 Mag, just to see if I could get it IWB (not easy). I'd say I carry a 44 a few times a month and mostly around my place rather than "in town."
    The biggest drawback for me is the weight. They don't seem heavy in the morning but they sure do gain weight all day!

Nope.

Is that answer too short? Train like you fight- fight like you train. I'm sure somebody on the forum has legitimate reasons. I would have to buy a carry rig to conceal it, and its heavy, and its not what I train with.

I'm also thinking of the legal issues of using a cannon.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

I have two favorites. One is:
    A man has got to know his limitations.
    From Magnum Force.

The other is:
    CALLAHAN: We're not just gonna let you walk outta here.

ROBBER: Who's we, sucker?

CALLAHAN: Smith, Wesson, and me.
    From Sudden Impact.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links