Just picked up an XD at the FT Worth show this weekend

Just picked up an XD at the FT Worth show this weekend

This is a discussion on Just picked up an XD at the FT Worth show this weekend within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=68 I really like the look of the OD Green frame. I went looking for this one and was getting dissappointed until about halfway through ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up an XD at the FT Worth show this weekend

Thumbs up Just picked up an XD at the FT Worth show this weekend

http://springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=68

I really like the look of the OD Green frame. I went looking for this one and was getting dissappointed until about halfway through the tables I came upon "the one". This dealer had great prices on just about everything actually. I got the xd40sc with a standard mag, an extended mag, the 2 holsters, a mag speedloader, lock, and case for $450 + tax. That's the best deal I have seen on a new XD40sc. Probably not the best one that's been had out there but I felt real good about it.

Put 100 rounds through it day of the purchase and took it home and cleaned it. It shot great but I definitely have a little learning curve. I wouldn't say I'm "used" to anything as I haven't shot pistols enough to be used to something...but when I have shot recently it's been a Kimber 1911. Different sights and trigger pull, so I just need to learn.

This will be my EDC when my CHL comes in, so I guess I'm on the holster hunt now that I know exactly what I will be carrying.

Thanks for the posts on here and the helpful feedback about all the different pistols to be had out there. It was much help in making my decision.

JP
    XD-40 SubCompact with OD Green frame

Congrats, that is a good price. Shoot often, and know your carry weapon inside and out.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Nice purchase.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Congrats! I love my XD subcompact and carry it most days.

As for holsters, Crossbreed is definitely worth checking out!

And don't miss out on the great community at the XDTalk Forum as well!

Mojoski
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Congrats!
    I love both of my XDs (.45 Service and 9 SC). Still trying to get used to the 9 as I have giant hands.

Avi
    "I would like to die in my sleep like my grandfather did - and not like his screaming passengers!" - unknown
    -------------------------------
    XD .45 Tactical
    XD 9MM Sub Compact
    Taurus .357 Mag Revolver
    Colt AR-15 A3 .223
    Vector AK-47 7.62

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Good choice.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Avi8tor, If you haven't gotten the Pearce grip extension for your shorter magazine, definitely do! It helped immensely for me. I have large hands as well and that gave my pinky a solid edge on the grip.
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Without a doubt, the XD line is one of the best, so I think you made a great purchase at a very good price. I had a Walther P99 .40 with the green frame, and thought it was very cool, but my XD is a much better performer, so I am happy even if it is all black.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Ft Worth had a gun show this past weekend? Dang thats two I've missed. Ok I'm having gun show withdrawls. Nice find.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    Thats a good price. I paid &499.00 a few weeks ago for mine. Its taking a bit of practice to get use to as far as drawing and hitting well with it. I've only got about 350 rounds through it. I can hit good with it when doing target shooting.
    Its a sweet gun..You'll love it.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    great choice and purchase. I have a xd45 and xd9.
    as for holster choice, I really like my Max Con V. it is IWB, and conceals great and undeniable comfort. I would also recommend a solid OWB like the def con or others. The one that comes with it isn't good for much. Remember that a good belt is really the key to any good holster. Quality holster usually come with a wait time, so it is something you should be thinking of now before your CHL comes in.

Have fun practicing with the xd, for me the hardest thing to get used to compared to my 1911's is the ''take up '' in the trigger and to pull the trigger straight back to the rear. I was consistently pulling my groups to the left because my trigger pull was in straight back, just food for thought...give us an update on your practice and holster choice.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Thanks for the replies everyone. I felt pretty good about the purchase before and it solidifies it with good feedback. My work environment is mostly business casual...and most of the time I can go untucked. But, I need to be very careful with concealment and leave very little opportunity to be made at work. We have clients in and out and are at clients as well, so whatever I decide needs to be flexible for those things. Seems pretty common to have the trade off of concealment and accessibility.

I am very curious about the "tuckables" like the Tucker Answer, the Crossbreed SuperTuck, etc... Seems to me the tucked in shirt would bunch but perhaps not. The other problem for concealment is my build is I would say "athletic" and I usually wear clothes that fit...so that will be a little challenge with printing and seeing things poke out of my shirts. What I think I will be looking for is a holster that will let me carry at about 4 oclock or so, that lets me tuck in shirts when I need, and doesn't make me look funny when I walk or something.

snowdoctor - I think I was experiencing pretty similar habits on the range with the XD. I'm curious if you could describe the pull straight back method in a little more detail as I hadn't really thought much about it. I tried very hard to not anticipate with the longer trigger pull.

Also, here's a question for everyone...is it bad to keep the trigger at about half pull? Or should I pull the whole way the entire time? Seemed to me I could control it a bit more by not going through the dead spot in the trigger everytime. Didn't know if it was bad for the pistol or not though.

Thanks for the pats on the back and the advice. Much appreciated.

JP
    XD-40 SubCompact with OD Green frame

JP- Nice work on the XD, I saw a great deal on an XD at the Dallas show a couple weeks ago. If you ever want go shoot sometime there a several great places in Dallas.

BH

Quote Originally Posted by Mojoski View Post
    Avi8tor, If you haven't gotten the Pearce grip extension for your shorter magazine, definitely do! It helped immensely for me. I have large hands as well and that gave my pinky a solid edge on the grip.

Nice! I'll check those out. Was thinking that I needed to buy another high cap mag for it as those feel good.

Thanks again!
    Avi
    "I would like to die in my sleep like my grandfather did - and not like his screaming passengers!" - unknown
    -------------------------------
    XD .45 Tactical
    XD 9MM Sub Compact
    Taurus .357 Mag Revolver
    Colt AR-15 A3 .223
    Vector AK-47 7.62

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I often am in business casual in the office, but do not carry in the office. but since this is my dress attire most of the week, it is difficult to conceal all the time. I went to a 642 j frame .38 for that type of carry and use the XD or kimber ultra for everything else.
    It gets awfully hot in TX, so a cover garment isn't going to do. I do use a smart carry and really like that. it comes with a money back guarantee, so no harm no foul. One nice thing about it is you can actaully turn it to 3-4pm carry position and kind of wear it is a IWB holster too....and it helps keep your shirt tucked in through out the day. for the money, I wouldn't be without one. Also it is great for when you are out doing things. I use mine all summer in Michigan...(2-3weeks LOL) when I am camping, hiking, mtn. biking, etc. in shorts without pockets, sweats, etc..... just a thought.
    IMO it is exactly what you are suppose to do with the XD trigger. Take up the 'slack' and focus on pulling enough to fire with a short release to reset the trigger. what I was trying to describe is gripping the firearm and trigger and squeezing the trigger which will make you jerk your shot pattern to the left, instead of taking up the slack, and practicing pulling the trigger straight back. it has to do with your finger motion....like flexing your finger at the middle knuckle more than the bigger fist (fist) knuckle...does that make sense? it has to be a training response over many rounds, because when your flight or fight instincts kick in, it has to come second nature. Let me know if that makes sense.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links