Kimber Ultra

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All, I have been reading prior post concerning the Kimbers. It seems the Kimbers with the external extractor is not as realiable. Can someone please ...

Thread: Kimber Ultra

Kimber Ultra

All,

I have been reading prior post concerning the Kimbers. It seems the Kimbers with the external extractor is not as realiable. Can someone please explain the difference between a external extractor and internal extractor.

I am sure this is a ignorant question for must of the readers of this site but I would really like to understand.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The internal extractor on most Kimber models is one single piece of steel secured on the inside of the slide that hooks and extracts brass from the chamber.

The external extractor in Kimbers is a delicate weave of a spring with a plug and an extractor featured on the outside of the slide.

Because it is on the outside of the slide and held in place only by spring tension a good amount of dirt and grime can build up under the extractor and push it out to the point that it no longer hooks the brass in the chamber and fails to extract it, leading into some pretty serious jams. Also, springs can wear and weaken faster than a single steel rod can.

Many manufacturers have external extractors on their firearms and they work fabulously and flawlessly. Kimber did not do the greatest job in designing their external extractors and they have had problems. They realized their error and switched back to internal extractors and that seemed to cure the extraction problems they were experiencing.
    Last edited by limatunes; May 7th, 2007 at 12:07 PM.

Administrator
    I dont think anybody could have explained it better...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Picture???

If anyone has any pictures I would appreciated it.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by moverton View Post
    If anyone has any pictures I would appreciated it.
    LOL.. I've been combing google for about twenty minutes looking for pictures to help you see the difference (I'm a visual learner also and I need pictures or at least hands on experience to really get it so I like to provide pictures).

You'll find plenty of pictures of the extractors from the outside, but not any of what the extractor looks like when it's removed.

I don't own a Kimber with an external extractor but I've worked on at least two of them where I work. If no one has provided you a picture before tomorrow night I'll take my camera up to work and take pictures of an internal and external extractor side by side so you can clearly see the difference.
    Last edited by limatunes; May 7th, 2007 at 12:39 PM.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    If you go on Kimber's site, you'll see models with internal extractors. You pretty much don't "see" anything on the outside.

For a close-up look at an external, check out this link. It's not a Kimber, but you'll see it, anyways:
    www.1911forum.com/dw_001_01.shtml

Hope this helps.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Pictures Found ???

I think I found a pctures that shows me the difference. Look at the last post on this thread.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...mber+extractor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    LOL.. I've been combing google for about twenty minutes looking for pictures to help you see the difference (I'm a visual learner also and I need pictures or at least hands on experience to really get it so I like to provide pictures).

You'll find plenty of pictures of the extractors from the outside, but not any of what the extractor looks like when it's removed.

I don't own a Kimber with an external extractor but I've worked on at least two of them where I work. If no one has provided you a picture before tomorrow night I'll take my camera up to work and take pictures of an internal and external extractor side by side so you can clearly see the difference.
    Hey Limatunes. I think we're all going to benefit from you working at that gunshop. :)

Senior Moderator
    Okay.. here they are...

Top... Internal Extractor.

Top... external extractor.. Bottom.. internal extractor...

It's one pain in the but to get them back together too.

Hope this helps!

JD
    Administrator
    Well that explains why they changed back to the internal.

Well, the problem with the External Extractors was Kimber decided to chince on them making a low quality part and it came back to bite them. What I mean is, they didn't put a very good quality extractor in there gun's when they changed them and they were so far into them that there was no turning back and going to the drawing board again as the customer lost faith and Kimber (IMO) had to save face and go back to what worked in the first place. Anyone ever here the saying, don't fix it if it ain't broken?

The Team Match II still uses the External Extractor, but it is a heavy duty well designed quality part that is also in one of their most expensive models so the cost is passed on to the consumer. The Team Match II set up works and works well and has proven itself for a long time now. If Kimber would have thought in the same mannor with their other gun's as they did the Team Match we would not be talking about this today or at least any problems would be so few that it would be moot.

My opinion is they should have never tried to fix what wasn't broken in the first place and just left things alone. I think they have learned their lesson.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Links