Range Report Light Weight Commander

This is a discussion on Range Report Light Weight Commander within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took this Beauty out today at Firing Line in Manchester NH. This is the Combat Commander I traded my Chrome HK P7 for. I ...

I took this Beauty out today at Firing Line in Manchester NH. This is the Combat Commander I traded my Chrome HK P7 for. I brought the small torso Targets to give it a bit more challenge as they were small. I tried three different brands of ammo. Winchester SXT 230Gr, Federal 165Gr Hydrashoks, and 230Gr Win White box ball ammo. 100 rounds each to give it a good work out. I set all targets at 15 yds, loaded up 7rnds per mag. I then proceeded to fire several rounds two handed combat stance. I found the gun to shoot slightly low, possibly due to me not being familular with it, and the fact that Trijicons and my bad eyes were deemed to be part of it. <as I found this to be true a bit later> The first mag of 230gr Win SXT in pic one, found a little low, with NO FTF, and NO FTE. The brass flew high and to the far right, amost hitting the guy in the next stall. no TFT or FTE. Recoil was nominal, and time on target was minimal due to the custom work that has been done to it, as I mentioned earlier in another posting.
    The second full mag, with 165 gr Fed Hydrashoks found the gun hitting the same area of a differnt target. but with a fairly close group (pic 2)
    I then tried two full mags of 16 rnds, 230 gr Win ball White box, rapid reload into another target.(pic 3) I found that I was hitting a bit low, as a friend of mine also operated the weapon. His rounds were placed close to the center mass area, so I KNOW it was my eyes. <LOL and quite embarrassed>
    I then continued to mix up the ammo, in several mags, with ball,HP, Ball, HP, etc. I found this Colt to eat everything I fed it. NO FTF, No FTE, with no hangups at all. We both finished up with the gun eating 300 rounds of Federal 165gr, Win 230 gr SXT, and Win 230gr ball. I attempted to make the weapon jam, but it wouldn't stand for it! Thinking this over, I DO BELIEVE I have a winner of a weapon here!! I'll DEFINITLY be carrying this sweetheart of a gun! I also placed this under a Glock 30 45ACP, and it's not much bigger than the Glock, and a lot slimmer <just in case you were curious> THANKS to ALL my friends here, who helped me in making the right decision to buy this Colt!! I was at the right place at the right time to snag this one! PLUS, after figuring out the deal I did, I'm into this Colt for about $350.00 total. Now, that's a good trade. Hope all your trades go as well
    Attached Images

That's awesome. I love guns with "character", i.e. something that's not completely common and seems like it was made for its owner. Something that has "Soul", if you will. A gun you can look at and say "THAT is the real deal."

A truly fine gun like this one is as much a piece of art and history as it is a tool. That's a part of firearms ownership I feel I miss out on sometimes as nothing I own or intend to buy will be heralded as a "classic" or a "real gun" twenty years from now.

It makes me sad somewhat that the many subtle perfections of a gun like this go ignored by so many people.

Hi Euc
    When the guys at the range saw this gun, they thought it to be a high end custom. I showed to them, and they were quite surprised to see that it had a lot of nice enhancments, and that it still looked very "stock" retaining it's dignity! After my time at the range, as couple of guys asked me "how'd it go? show them the results, where they were quite inpressed. One guy had a really nice Les Baer, where he asked to try it.I obliged and sent him into the range with the gun.. after firing about 4 full mags, he had to ask me how much it cost me to do all the "custom" work. I told him I got it this way. He replied "I'd snap this up in a heartbeat if I had seen it" He estimated the work done to it and about 500.00 to 600.00........he said the "guy who sold this gun, took a bath on it" as there was a lot work done. I do agree, and it will be a "keeper" til I go in the ground.
    Bob

DC Founder
    Sounds like you got a keeper.

I didn't think you could really go wrong buying the Colt. The deal, the gun and the custom work all sound great. If you have a good printer, print off a couple of these targets and take them to the range next time. I expect that your shooting low was simply your not being familiar with that particular gun. Glad to hear you like it!
    Attached Images
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

THANKS BUMPER!
    I've downloaded the targets and will try them today! I was dry firing the weapon last night, and it's exactly what you and the target says I'm doing. Pushing down on the weapon as I squeeze the trigger. I'll break that habit for sure as I grow more familiar with the weapon!! The 16 Rnds in the last pic were to simulate a "stress fire" condition (8 quick rnds, and reload, and another quick 8 Rnds)
    I shot a little low on 8 rnds in the "9 ring" the other 8 rnds in the "10 and center mass area"., ( but I'm sure if the paper were a BG., the guy would be suffering from "Astro Ventilation"

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    That's awesome. I love guns with "character", i.e. something that's not completely common and seems like it was made for its owner. Something that has "Soul", if you will. A gun you can look at and say "THAT is the real deal."

A truly fine gun like this one is as much a piece of art and history as it is a tool. That's a part of firearms ownership I feel I miss out on sometimes as nothing I own or intend to buy will be heralded as a "classic" or a "real gun" twenty years from now.

It makes me sad somewhat that the many subtle perfections of a gun like this go ignored by so many people.
    I have an M1 Garand I bought from the DCM (Dept of Civilian Marksmanship) about ten years ago for just about $150. This Garand was probably carried by some soldier in Korea or MAYBE WWII at least it could have been. I think it was made by International Harvester. You know how I got it from Uncle Sam? Picked up as Registered Mail at the Post Office! ONLY our beloved "UNCLE" could or would do that.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator

Congrats CLASS3

Oh OK...Come On...Tell everybody on the forum....you listened to Good Ol' Uncle QKShooter and bought the Light Weight Colt Commander!
    Man O' Doggies ~ You sure did make the right decision.
    You now own (what I believe) is about the perfect, ideal, Personal Carry Firearm. Yea!
    Chalk another one up for the Little Colt Horsey!
    And what nice little "upgrades" it has. You are set to go!
    BAD GUYS ~ THUGS ~ THIEVES ~ & "Nare Do Wells" ~ Run & Hide!
    CLASS3 Is Packing them big fat Big Bullets In A Mighty Fine Firearm!
    Seriously...Congratulations on a great purchase of a fantastic defensive firearm!
    You done real good boy!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Yes Indeed!! Oh Guru QK,
    I listened to you, and Bumper, and the others here. <bowing down extending arms in praise to the Gurus here>
    You very much helped me make that decision <which I'll never regret> on the Colt. Yup.if I was takin down BG's with it the other night......they'd have some good gaping holes to brag about. I just need to get acustomed to the lightweight, as I have a steel Commander and a Gov't model too. I think I was trying to compensate for the muzzel recoil.
    Thanks again to all of you, for assisting me to make the right decision!
    Last edited by CLASS3NH; April 3rd, 2005 at 09:55 PM.

Senior Moderator
    Hey Class3NH...

Is that the Colt XSE ?

Ive got one in stainless...exellent little gun.

Its one of my two duty guns. It seems to get a lot of attention when I carry it.

Hiya Hotguns
    The Commander is a 80 series lightweight....I bought it used at a large dealer I know in Maine.. I picked up the gun, because it contained all the stock parts, including a Bar-Sto BBL, ext saety, beavertail, with LOTS of Chip Mc Cormick, Wolf's, Bar-Sto, Wolf's, Vedeccti, Trijicon sights etc, etc.. and a LOT of internal work done as well...I also got the Colt grips, and Coco Bolo grips as well......the price of the gun was 650.00 but I traded back a HK P7 in hard Chrome with Tirgicons for the Colt.. They gave me the Colt and 100.00 in credit for my deal.. BTW.I was into the H&K for 500.00...and I know that Colt had ovewr 500.00 in accys and work plus the gun itself was worth the $$.......

Links