Pocket Carry 9mm

This is a discussion on Pocket Carry 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw the M&P 9c and liked the feel of it, but wonder about front pocket carry. I liked the looks of the Kahr pm9 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry 9mm

Pocket Carry 9mm

I saw the M&P 9c and liked the feel of it, but wonder about front pocket carry. I liked the looks of the Kahr pm9 but the price was out of range. I have investigated carry options, and my lifestyle and pocket carry is the best option. Anyone carry the M&P in their pocket or have a suggestion on another micro 9mm?

2. Remove Ads

suggestions ??? Look at the Kel-tec 9mm (theres two models) and theres SKYY Industries 9mm also. All are sub $300 firearms I believe.
    Last edited by artz; May 7th, 2007 at 01:44 PM.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Administrator
    Keltec, and look at the Kahr CW9, its a lot less than the PM. You might also want to keep your eyes open for a used PM9, people tend to sell them cheap because they think they dont work.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    The PM9 is great in the pocket nine roll.....I carried one in that capacity myself for a while.

I'm sure the various Kel-Tec 9mm's (and inexpensive) are also stellar in that role as is the Taurus 905 9mm revolver.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

kle
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    I'm sure the various Kel-Tec 9mm's (and inexpensive) are also stellar in that role as is the Taurus 905 9mm revolver.
    I've got a Keltec P-11 (9mm, 10+1) in my pocket right now with a no-name elastic pocket holster (I'm dressed up with my shirt tucked in so I didn't want to freak out my boss and I didn't want to go unarmed, either).

My Taurus 905 is a good revolver (9mm, 5 rounds), with its quick reloading (via the star-clips) and its small size. Dry-firing is no-no (broken firing pin...). I'm not sure how I'd like it as a pocket pistol, though: my Keltec is far more compact, not having the width of the cylinder or the length of the grip to contend with.

---

I've been looking for an even-slimmer 9mm pistol for pocket carry, though, something that uses a single-stack. Keltec's PF-9 or a Kahr would probably fit the bill quite nicely. I've heard a lot of good things about Kahrs, and I've had a lot of broken parts on my well-used Keltec (2 broken firing pins, broken ejector, broken slide-stop). So I think I know where my money's going next...

I have posted this picture several times, but here it is again. I think these are some of the best pocket protectors available. Rohrbaugh 9mm, Kahr 9mm, J-frame .38spl and a Kel-tec .380.

Ron
    Look into the Walther P99c. Bob Mika made a pocket holster for mine. It completely covers the trigger, and draws smoothly with the holster staying put. I am able to carry comfortably all day in cargo shorts or pants or Dockers. Sure you can tell there is something in my pocket, but it does not print gun. It looks like it could be a wallet, cell phone in a case, eye glass case, etc. The only type of pants it does not work well with are dress pants, where the pockets tend to be less deep, and the fit a bit tighter. But, since I am retired, I rarely dressup, and when I do then I carry my S&W J frame 642.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

For pocket carry, its one of these. The P32 and the new PF9 are much easier though. The PF9 is a 7+1, 12.7oz 9mm. Simply amazing!! Its VERY thin and light.

Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

kle
    Quote Originally Posted by ak-kev View Post
    For pocket carry, its one of these. The P32 and the new PF9 are much easier though. The PF9 is a 7+1, 12.7oz 9mm. Simply amazing!! Its VERY thin and light.
    How does the firing mechanism work on the PF-9? Is it striker-fired (like Glocks) or does it have an internal hammer (like the P-11)? I've heard it had the striker, but the pictures I've seen of it indicate that it had a hammer...so I'm curious.

It is not striker fired. It is a 6 pound, DAO, hammer blocked firing mechanism. I dont know what a hammer blocked firing system is, but Ill say its loads better than my P11. Its got a long but smooth 6 pound pull. I like it.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

I have a Kahr PM9 that I infrequently Pocket Carry.

For the pocket I prefer a J-Frame "Snubbie". I find it easier to draw and positions better in the pocket than the PM9. Also, for Coat Pocket Carry, The Revolver can be shot through the pocket without worrying about "jamming".

As far as what to carry, if you don't want to carry a Revolver, I would look at a used PM9 or save money for a new one. Tha Kahr CW 9 would also be a good choice.

Biker

I just bought a Kel Tec PF9. Really nice size, 7+1 in 9mm. You can pocket carry pretty easily if you wear jeans with larger pockets like I do. I put 100 rounds through it, no problems. Shoots to point of aim at 7 yards.

However, I locked the slide back to break it down for cleaning, using a 9mm shell casing to pull out the assembly pin, just like the manual says to do. Snap! A chunk of the assembly pin broke off. Thinking that I couldn't hurt the assembly pin any more than that, I tried to pull it out with needle-nose pliers. No luck.

Back to Kel Tec it goes, first thing tomorrow. I love the size and feel of the pistol, but darn it, I expect guns to work correctly, no matter how much they cost. So, it's back to a S&W 638 for pocket carry. I had an unreliable Kahr PM9, too, so I'm starting to think that there's no such thing as a completely reliable pocket 9mm.

It's probably better to dress around an effective gun than to try and find a gun that you can conceal while wearing a speedo and a muscle shirt. Although I like to tuck my shirt in like a big boy, my Glock 26 in an inside the pants holster under an untucked shirt hides very easily, and sure gives me a more confident feeling than a 5 shot snubby.

Too bad Glock doesn't make a single stack 9mm pocket pistol. I'd buy 2 of them tomorrow!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post

Too bad Glock doesn't make a single stack 9mm pocket pistol. I'd buy 2 of them tomorrow!
    Maybe they will eventually. Id buy one too. Im sorry for your bad luck with the PF9. At least they have a lifetime warranty and you wont have to pay anything. But I know what you mean, it can be frustrating.

Thanks for your info, I hadn't heard of the KT pf9. How does it compare to the m&p9c or the PM9? I guess my hold back about the kahr is the local price is $700+ for a gun I can't test(can't find anyone with one to shoot). The M&P feels better in the hand, plus the sub $500 price, but the thickness worries me. Any field reports on the pf9?

M&P 9c

I have the M&P 9mm compact.

Haven't carried it in the pocket. Tried it at home and don't see it
    as being an option, unless the pants/pocket are huge. Cargo MIGHT work, but even that is iffy.

My thoughts: great gun, not for pocket carry.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links