Sig SAS with Nills

Sig SAS with Nills

This is a discussion on Sig SAS with Nills within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The wood grips on the SAS are nice, but a little blocky. It didn't really bother me, but after reading a couple of threads here ...

Thread: Sig SAS with Nills

Sig SAS with Nills

The wood grips on the SAS are nice, but a little blocky. It didn't really bother me, but after reading a couple of threads here and there about Nills grips I decided to give them a try. I figured if I didn't like them it would be easy to sell them for what I paid. Well, I received them in the mail the other day and immediately, after a not so quick trip to Home Depot to get some star bits, but of course they didn't have a strip with all the sizes like they did for the phillips or flat head or that square one, NOOO, I had to buy a whole freaking kit. . . oh, sorry, where was I? Anyway, I removed the old grips, cleaned the main spring and frame and snapped on the new grips.

The difference is subtle, but significant, if that makes any sense what-so-ever. The Nills grips don't make it that much thinner, but enough to notice. The gentle palm swell gives just the right amount of contour that the gun now seems nestled in my hand as opposed to me gripping a block of wood. The checkering on the Nills is also more aggressive than the factory grips and so offers a better purchase on the gun while firing.

So, while the price of the Nills is steep I think it was worth it. I do fear I may have the new car syndrome with them though and will be diligently trying to avoid any sort of scratching or bumping until that first ding. Once that is out of the way I think they will hold up just fine.

Wood grips for Sigs

I experimented once with wood grips on a Sig P226. I bought some attractive Hogue cocobolo wood grips at a gun show and put them on the gun. Immediately I noticed that the wood grips were thicker than the previous stock grips, which were a hard black rubber or plastic. The P226 was pretty thick in the grip to start with, and the wood made it thicker.

I looked closely at the wood and compared them to the stock, and concluded that the "minimum thickness" you can achieve in wood grips and still maintain enough strength is more than the minimum thickness in plastic or rubber. So going with wood, which looks better, generally involves more grip thickness. That may not be an advantage for a CCW gun, depending on the size of your hands.

I've been using the stock P226 grips on the gun ever since, as they have a pretty good feel, in spite of looking rather plain.

Nice looking Nills, what wood did they use?
    Jack

Walnut?
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

I don't know what wood is used in the Nills, but Walnut sounds right.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Nice lookinggrips, but I must say I prefer the grain of the Sig grips...
    I have been known to use a surface grinder to thin down grips a bit before....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

While I do like the looks of the Nill grips (they look great on your pistol), they tend to be too thick for my small hands. I'll be selling the Elite grips from my P229 Elite as soon as it shows up and switching to the factory plastic.

Sponsored Links