Glock 27 vs Glock 23 Concealability

This is a discussion on Glock 27 vs Glock 23 Concealability within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's a quick question for my Glock lovin' brethren. For summer carry is the G27 easier to conceal than the G23? I've looked at the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 27 vs Glock 23 Concealability

Here's a quick question for my Glock lovin' brethren. For summer carry is the G27 easier to conceal than the G23? I've looked at the numbers on the Glock website, but I'd like to hear your experiences if you'll share.

I owned a G26 for years but only kept in in house or vehicle. Sometime later I got a G23 and carry it most of the time. I haven't tried the guns side by side to see if it makes any difference in light clothing.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

With the Glock 27, you can go pocket carry (with a pocket holster) or ankle carry. You could go ankle carry with a Glock 23, but not likely. However...I've seen a guy hide a full size Beretta 92 down there!

The Glock 27 may "carry" better, but the Glock 23 "shoots" better!

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Well, dimensionally, the G 26 & 27 are the same. There may be a slight weight difference. So, you can easily test it out for yourself with your 23 & 26. The only issue you won't be able to test out, is recoil. But as to your question of concealability, you have what you need.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

As I see it, the only difference between the G27 and the G23, as far as concealability goes, is the length of the grip. This is what is going to be the hardest to conceal. In this regard, the G27 should be a bit easier to conceal. That said, IMHO, if you take a G27 and add the grip extension or the plus one extension, you may as well be carrying the G23. There will not be enough of a difference to make one more concealable than the other.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

I've got a G23 currently and it's what I carry primarily. I would very much like to add a G27 (or two) to the collection. My thought, like yours, is that they would be more concealable.

I generally carry my G23 in a paddle holster and keep it covered with a shirt tail. It seems to work pretty well, and I've never seen anyone give me so much as a second glance. But it always feels to me like I have to be extra careful to keep it covered. I've been thinking that a G27 w/an IWB holster would be the ticket for daily carry. I'm fairly new to the daily carry idea though, so feel free to poke holes in my logic.

Brian

The 27 is easier to conceal in lite clothing. But, the 23 is much easier to fire accurately.

It's a wash.....go with the one you like the best. I carry a 23 all year round. I can conceal my 23 with just a T-shirt and I am not a big guy. 5 foot 8, 158 pounds. I have been called scrawny. Pretty nice considering I used to weigh 275 pounds and was big time fat just a year ago.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sorry I didn't clarify about the 26. I used to have the 26 but got rid of it months before my G23. So I cant try them side by side.

I have a customer who bought a new G27 w/ the OD frame and night sites. He's a lefty and for whatever reason didn't like it and said he'd sell it to me for $350. He only fired 18 rounds through the gun and couldnt take the recoil.

So I thought- Hmm, I'll bet that would conceal better... and I brought it here to see who had experience with the two. If it is noticable- I would do it. if not then- I love my 23 and I'll try to keep it covered in summer.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

I have and carry both. The 23 goes IWB and carries and conceals nicely for me. The 27 with the +1 mag (glock 7151 mag) goes in a front cargo pocket or in smart carry for the summer.

In fact, I picked up a bunch or woolrich shorts and pants/shorts combos (not the elite series) that have front cargo pockets. The 23 w/ extension fits and carries in there so easily, I may be going exclusively pocket for the summer months. IMO, the 27 is just too thick to pocket carry unless you have a cargo type pocket.

If you are going IWB, stay w/ the 23. If you get the 27, you will probably feel uncomfortable getting a good safe purchase on the handgun (due to the short grip). If you can get good cargo front pockets, you might want to try the 27 with the extendeg grip.

Note: I am meeting Jamie Young at a shoot next month and plan to buy the elite series of pants and shorts to try out for pocket carry of the 27.

As others have stated, the 23 shoots easier than the 27.

I can't add to the good advice given above, I can only second it. I've got both guns. The stock G27 is about 1/2 shorter in the barrel/slide and grip. Add anything on the mag, and you are right back to G23 size. Grip length affect concealability more than barrel lenghth. With the longer barrel, more weight and larger grip, the G23 is easier to control. I have no problems shooting either. I prefer to carry the G27. I use the stock mag in the gun. By the way, $350 is a steal, buy it & sell it IF you don't like it. Can't have too many GLOCKS !

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    ...By the way, $350 is a steal, buy it & sell it IF you don't like it. Can't have too many GLOCKS !
    With only 18 rounds through it, darn right! If you can swing it, get it just because those kinds of deals don't come around every day (at least for most of us ).

I use this method of carry with very light clothes in hot weather such as wearing pocketless gym shorts and a lightweight (oversized) T-Shirt.

Deep Concealment Holster from: http://www.gunnersecurity.com/holsters-Home.html

The velcro shoulder straps help support the whole rig for all day comfort! You can easily conceal your G23 or G27.

I use mine for G23, Ruger Speed Six, Ruger SP-101, Para P-12.

See Picture Below:

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

me
    +1 Muzz

$350 it would trade for better than that ata gun shop if you decided you did not like it.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    I have both and technically since the 27 is smaller, of course it is easier to conceal.
    Practically though, itís not a huge advantage. It really depends on how and where you carry!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    First, buy that 27. Thats a steal.

Second, I used to have a 19 and 26 years ago (same dimensions as the 23 and 27 respectively). I personally found the 26 annoying and no more easier to conceal than my 19. So when a department trade in came up, I was able to trade my 26 and a $100 for a brand new 23 with 3 LE mags (the ban was in effect at that time). I have never since looked back at the 26/27 and I have had no problem concealing a 23 year round. I typically use an IWB shirt tuckable pancake holster, and I can even get away with a t-shirt in that rig.

But I would never say no to a virtually brand new 27 for $350.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    At that price, it's a great deal. As to carrying it, it depends. If you're the kind that'll want a full grip, you might as well keep your 23. If you don't mind the shorter grip, it is shorter (length & height). You can pocket carry it, too.

I used to pocket carry my 26, although it was quite snug in jeans, but in cargo pants it'll work.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links