Has anyone played with a S&W 1911DK pistol?

This is a discussion on Has anyone played with a S&W 1911DK pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok some of you here have probably gathered that I am not exactly a 1911 worshiper. However, I have been thinking about a .45 for ...

Thread: Has anyone played with a S&W 1911DK pistol?

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar

Has anyone shot a S&W 1911DK pistol?

Ok some of you here have probably gathered that I am not exactly a 1911 worshiper.

However, I have been thinking about a .45 for multi-gun competition.
    I ended up holding one of these the other day.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...09&isFirearm=Y

I have to admit that I liked it a lot, and it now is making me consider this instead of some other pistols that I considered.

What really turned me on was the sights that came with this. Absolutely gorgeous sights for competition shooting. All ready stock on the pistol. And the trigger was great too for an out of the box gun.

So what I want to know is, have any of you shot one of these, and what do you think?

I don't want to hear about kimbers, taurus, springers, or any other 1911 out there.

I am interested to hear from anyone who has had experience or a friend with S&W 1911's and specifically this particular target 1911.

Thanks.
    Last edited by SonofASniper; May 9th, 2007 at 04:03 PM. Reason: edited after dman pointed out - thanks for the private discussion
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Get it

I have never played with that particular one, as a matter of fact, I don't PLAY with any gun, I have shot them, used them, worked with them, tried them out, but never played with them.

When I try to teach someone new about gun safety - I work hard at making sure any language I use reinforces the necessary care and safety that must be used when handling and using firearms.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I just bought a S&W 1911 and love it. I bought mine with combat sights though. I would imagine this would be a great gun too.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=24741

SOS,

I have a S&W 1911DK and would highly recommend it from my experience with it. It is quite possibly my favorite 1911 to shoot, and is outstanding. One of the things I was really impressed with was that in spite of being a very "tight" pistol from a fitting standpoint, it has never had even one misfeed/failure for somewhere between 6500-7000 rounds of misc ammunition (some target, some defense, etc). I love the block trigger, which helps me avoid wrapping my index finger during rapid fire and keeps my trigger squeeze straight. The sights are good, and I have had no desire to change out anything on it other than the grips (mostly personal preference...I got some micardis canvas grips). The thumb safety has more of an arc to it than a flat surface, which I thought was odd...but when drawing quickly and clicking off the thumb safety, it is easy to disable, even with a less than perfect grip on your draw. I'm sure some racegun afficianado would have some criticism of it, but I can definately say that the 1911DK is a better 1911 than I am a shooter...and I don't foresee the day that my accuracy is better than the pistol. The only thing I was dissapointed with was that I waited as long as I did before I bought it. It has been better than other 1911's that I have that were several hundred dollars more. Hope it helps.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Thanks for the feedback koolguynet and snoozedoc.

Snooze, I think I will have to get arrange a side by side with a Sig 220. After your feedback, I am strongly leaning to that Smith 1911. I have to admit, stock out of the box it has everything I want. The 220 I would have to spend time tweaking.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Links