Adjusting to the Glock grip angle? - Page 2

Adjusting to the Glock grip angle?

This is a discussion on Adjusting to the Glock grip angle? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone with experience with the new Glock 21SF think it would be easier for a HK shooter to adjust to than the regular 21?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adjusting to the Glock grip angle?

Does anyone with experience with the new Glock 21SF think it would be easier for a HK shooter to adjust to than the regular 21?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I personally don't have a problem with the grip angle,
    I think the same; however, some handguns come on tgt faster than others. But is on tgt pinpoint or within 3 inches either side for a quick shot?

There are just too many very good guns that fit my hand and which have trigger systems I am used to for me to be bothered having to 'adjust' to a Glock.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I personally don't have a problem with the grip angle, and I'm not sure why. I regularly transition from the very guns you mentioned - USP, M&P, Hi-Power, XD, in addition, Beretta 92fs, PX4, and 1911s. I simply don't have a problem. I average between 200 - 300 rounds a week and do draw and fires, slow fire, rapid fire, one-hand, etc. I seem to be able to shoot Glocks and non-Glocks side by side and neither shoot the Glock high nor the non-Glocks low.
    +1....
    I have found the amount of adaptation a human is capable of nothing short of amazing....

Give it a go, you may find you are able to adapt quite easily and one less triviality to get hung up on....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I had a G23 for 14 yers and never could get fully comfortable with it. When the XD 40's came out, I picked one up and immediately sold my Glock. I now have 3 XD's and my EDC and home defense guns are XD's.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

I have multiple 1911's, which is the handgun I started out with when I first started shooting; but due to Glock's reputation for making a very good 10mm production pistol (the Glock 20), I decided to get one and try to make the adjustment to the grip angle. At first, I found the same thing as many people have who built their shooting mechanics on 1911's...that the Glock always seemed to be pointing high. I did some research and found a couple interesting (at least to me) points. Browning seemed to have designed the 1911 with the absolutely perfect grip angle to point the weapon accurately with a nearly neuteral wrist...similar to punching someone in the martial arts where you focus on neuteral alignment of the wrist and focusing power in the knuckle of the third/middle finger. It gives a strong position/alignment and comfortable forearm muscle mechanics which helps many people shoot comfortably and control recoil well. Glock, however, seems to have used the concept of "point shooting" in designing their grip angle; in which if you close your eyes and point your index finger at a spot, it tilts your wrist forward. If you do a similar movement with a Glock, you will find the Glock points very naturally and aligns well with a target. The forward tilt of the support hand tends to be the more severe, which makes many people use their support hand less and start wrapping thier palm around the fingers of their master hand instead of getting good contact with the handgun grip (which changes their shooting mechanics and makes it easier to wrap the index finger during their trigger pull and pull shots to the left). Once I understood and noticed this difference, I am able to switch back and forth between my Glocks and 1911's without much trouble. Hope you are able to make the adjustment, because both are great weapons and are fun to have and shoot.

Snoozedoc,
    That is awsome. It is very true as we are all setting here doing the very thing you described. This is a very interesting observation.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

I adjusted to the grip angle by selling my Glock. Why force yourself to adjust when there are other guns just as good with a more neutral grip angle?
    Hk P2000sk- have one, very easy to transition to after my 1911s
    S&W M&P- really impressed with a buddy's
    XD
    P99- had one, only sold it becuase I needed some cash, awesome gun....
    Hoplophile

The Glock has a differant grip angle and it is not for everyone. However I think that too many people pick up the Glock at a gun show and it feels differant so they shy away. Many others have simply heard it said and are repeating the same opinion. Other have shot them and do not like them. Thats fine as well. I think there are a lot of great guns out there. Several in the same market level as the Glock that are just as good. Several that are a bit higher and really nice and a lot of lower priced stuff that works real well. Nobody should be stuck with just one option, if you do not like it then by all means do not buy it.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

There are a couple of gunsmithing shops known for doing "melt" jobs on Glocks, to adjust the grips to the preference of the owner. I'm sure that a melt could focus on one part of the grip, enough to slightly alter the angle.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My issue with the Glocks has always been the darn finger grooves, my fat fingers just don't fit into them! Then last night while I was sighing over a P2000 ($900!) at my local shop, one of the counter guys handed me a 2nd gen G17. Ye gods it actually fits my hand! I am currently trying to accept that I just might go GLOCK after years of joking disparagement (traditionally a 1911 guy here). I am now strongly considering a G19 for my EDC.

The above observations about stick fighting seem 100% accurate to me. The grip angle has never bothered me, it was just that I couldn't actually hold the thing that turned me off. I have 12+ years experience in medieval-style martial combat, the Glock does actually point like a sword.
    Highwayman Rider

"An armed society is a polite society."
    -R.A. Heinlein

One should be able to use the same grip for different platforms, or at least one that's comparable. With the Glock, I use the very same grip that I would use on, let's say, a 1911, with the biggest difference being the degree of arm extension used when firing the weapon. That is, with a steeper grip angle, many people find they must extend/straighten their arms a bit more to level the slide. I know that I became really used to having my arms straightened to a certain degree when shooting 1911's, and for me it does require some time to transition back to the Glock. Just different.

The biggest gripes I have with the Glock (and I shoot one on occasion, mind you), is the terrible little hump on the backstrap and the fact that my hands are a *tad* small for its circumference. My gun is prime candidate for a grip reduction. :)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I am not a glock guy . I feel they are fine , robust pistols , just not for me for several reasons the least of which is grip ( imho the grip angle almost duplicates a square frame S&W revolver, or a 1911 with a short trigger and arched mainspring housing and i can deal with that ) . With that being said , there are several companys out there that offer " grip reductions " on glocks , all of them involve epoxy after some plastic is cut off , and that can be tuned anyway you want it . Why would you tho since you would spend much more on the glock while ruining its resale value if you ever changed your mind and no longer wanted it . There are other cheaper options out there. If you are dead set well just google " glock grip reduction gunsmith " and play in the results .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links