Adjusting to the Glock grip angle?

This is a discussion on Adjusting to the Glock grip angle? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering going over to the dark side and getting a Glock for my EDC. I've been thinking about going to a double stack .45 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting to the Glock grip angle?

I'm considering going over to the dark side and getting a Glock for my EDC. I've been thinking about going to a double stack .45 and after a bit of research, it seems like all of them have one shortcoming or another. For the Glock, the biggest obstacle for me seems like it would be adjusting to the grip angle. Guns with the classic John Browning 1911 grip angle point very naturally for me, but whenever I pick up a Glock, I always end up pointing it high, rather than where I want to aim it. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's made the transition from a 1911 type grip angle (as seen on the USP, M&P, Hi-Power, XD, and many others) to a Glock grip angle. How hard was the adjustment? Does the gun point naturally to you? Once you've learned both do you switch back and forth between guns with different grip angles?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I know the 9mm Glocks point naturally for me, but all the other Glocks do not. If I do buy more Glocks, they will all be in 9mm (17, 34, and the 26). Glock started out making 9mm, and thats what I'm sticking with.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

kpw
    It's all muscle memory. Shoot it often and shoot it a lot and it will become natural. It won't take long. 1911s point a bit low for me now.

I adjusted by not buying the rental glock I tried, and buying an XD instead. Problem solved.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

+1. Get an XD

Administrator
    Good Luck. I could never do it. Adjust that is.
    Most Glocks do not point naturally for me at all.
    I've been able to tolerate the Glock (single stack) 36.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

For me a gun that dosn't point naturally doesn't come home. Why choose a gun that you have to adjust to what happens if you take a different one out for a walk will you have to adjust to it, get a gun that points naturally.

Senior Moderator
    I personally don't have a problem with the grip angle, and I'm not sure why. I regularly transition from the very guns you mentioned - USP, M&P, Hi-Power, XD, in addition, Beretta 92fs, PX4, and 1911s. I simply don't have a problem. I average between 200 - 300 rounds a week and do draw and fires, slow fire, rapid fire, one-hand, etc. I seem to be able to shoot Glocks and non-Glocks side by side and neither shoot the Glock high nor the non-Glocks low.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

After a few hundred rounds, it'll feel as natural as breathing.

Interestingly enough, if you practice knife or stick thrusts, the Glock will fall right in line for you. The 1911 comes on-line with a sweeping draw: you draw, and basically bring the levelled gun up until it parallels your line of sight. The Glock will point better if you draw, close in, then push it towards the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Interestingly enough, if you practice knife or stick thrusts, the Glock will fall right in line for you. The 1911 comes on-line with a sweeping draw: you draw, and basically bring the levelled gun up until it parallels your line of sight. The Glock will point better if you draw, close in, then push it towards the target.
    That's an excellent point! My best fast shooting with my Glock is with a draw and punch approach.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I never really thought about it, but that's probably why I shoot my Glock 36 so well. It might be the grip width, too, but it seems to point differently than my other Glocks.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I picked up a G26 for EDC and I was used to Sig, XD, and my old 1911. Within 2 days of dry firing (maybe 1 hour each) I was used to it. I haven't noticed a problem going back and forth yet but it is possible. Regardless, picking up the Glock grip angle shouldn't take much time at all. IMO, I don't mind spending an hour or two to make an adjustment for an EDC. After all, if I chose it for an EDC, there was a reason. In my case, the G26 was the smallest and most reliable of everything I tried (more reliable than Kahrs IN MY EXPERIENCE and smaller than XD, 1911, Sig, M&P, etc.). Something I noticed about the Glock grip angle is that it promotes locking your wrist as well. I'm not sure if that's the cause of what but within 150 rounds, I was grouping 1/4-1/2" larger than my P226 at 10 yards.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I personally like the Glock grip angle, but it's personal preference. If you really don't like it, definitely +1 on the XD. They're great guns.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

I do not find the Glock grip as odd as many, but I shoot a variety of differant handguns. They all hold a bit differant and with a few rounds down range I find them all to be right where I need them. I do not put much worry into perfect fit or feel, a bit of practice and you can get the feel of the gun and make it work.

As mentioned above, with the Glocks I own, the 26 & 19 both seam to cause my wrist to lock into place when the sights line up. I also draw and shoot with the same aproach as above. Draw tight, picking up support hand on the push forward, this works great for me.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links