Help with .45

Help with .45

This is a discussion on Help with .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have decided that the next new purchase will be a .45 but I am having a little trouble finding the right gun. Here is ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with .45

Help with .45

I have decided that the next new purchase will be a .45 but I am having a little trouble finding the right gun. Here is what I am looking for: the gun will be for concealed carry, .45 caliber, no external safety and suitable for someone with small hands. I have tried the Sig P220 and the HK Usp full size both were to blockish. I currently carry either a S&W snubby or a Kahr K9. I have considered the Kahr p45 but am concerned about recoil and also haven't been able to find one to shoot. The obvious answer is a 1911 but I don't want a safety. I will continue my search of the local gun shops and see what I can come up with. So far the best feeling gun I have found is the Taurus 24/7 but I am concerned about reliability and the external safety. I am open to any suggestions. thanks in advance for your ideas.

Ed
    US Navy Retired Silent Service

The real test of a man is not when he plays the role he wants for himself, but when he plays the role destiny has for him.
    Vaclav Havel

With small hands, you may want to think about going with a gun with a semi-staggered magazine rather than a full double stack. Take a look at the HK USP Compact with their LEM trigger (a light DAO trigger with no external safeties) or the S&W M&P, which also comes without an external safety.

Quote Originally Posted by fsufanaz View Post
    I have decided that the next new purchase will be a .45 but I am having a little trouble finding the right gun. Here is what I am looking for: the gun will be for concealed carry, .45 caliber, no external safety and suitable for someone with small hands. I have tried the Sig P220 and the HK Usp full size both were to blockish. I currently carry either a S&W snubby or a Kahr K9. I have considered the Kahr p45 but am concerned about recoil and also haven't been able to find one to shoot. The obvious answer is a 1911 but I don't want a safety. I will continue my search of the local gun shops and see what I can come up with. So far the best feeling gun I have found is the Taurus 24/7 but I am concerned about reliability and the external safety. I am open to any suggestions. thanks in advance for your ideas.

Ed

I just picked up a Taurus 24/7 45cal. I only have about 50 rounds through it but so far, feels real good. Conceals easily and shoots accurately. What don't you like about the external safety?? This seems like a good gun for the price, ($385.00).

William
    Colorado

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    If you're worried about whether the new Kahr PM45 is reliable (& I can understand you feeling they might have some "teething" problems), I'd suggest looking at the Glock 36.

I have one, along with a Taurus Mil Pro PT145. It's thinner & slightly lighter than the Taurus. Mine's been 100% reliable & it, along with the PT145, are the most accurate handguns I own.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I have a Springfield Micro Compact Bi-tone that works well for me at 28 oz. Steve48

New Member Array geerickeyimsorry's Avatar
    I suggest picking up an XD 45 Compact. Feels great in the hand, no external safeties, except the grip safety, and is a tack driver. 110% reliable performance. IMHO...

The reason I don't like external safeties is all my other guns have no safeties and I want to keep it simple. I don't wan to have to think about and train differently with different guns. When things go make I want to pull the trigger and hear a bang. If I have a safety it is something else to think about.
    Not sure if I am concerned about the Kahr's reliability so much as the recoil and control.
    I have shot the XD service in 45 and like it quite a bit but I am just starting to look so I wanted to get more suggestion.
    Thanks to all for your suggestions and please keep them coming.

Ed

The real test of a man is not when he plays the role he wants for himself, but when he plays the role destiny has for him.
    Vaclav Havel

My .02. Please don't take it offensively. I want to give constructive critisicm:

If you are worried about "thinking" about an external safety then you are not training enough with your cc piece. You will end up having to use it in a high stress situation, you should practice enough with the weapon to where no matter what the safety device or lack thereof is you are one with it and there is no "thought" process involved. There will not be much time to think about your piece anyway in a high stress situation. You will be focused on the BG and threat recognition and believe me it will be focused.

My advice is to get a weapon that is reliable, fits your hand, and you are comfortable with. Then train with it until the external safety is no more than your training kicking in in a high stress situation.

That being said: Glock :)

Taurus 24/7s can be safely carried 'one in the chamber' with the safety off.
    YMMV.

VIP Member
    Find something that fits your hand, do not worry about the external safety. For ex: if a baby eagle was what you liked, then carry it with the safety off, the 12 lb trigger pull will be safe to do so.
    Last edited by nn; May 8th, 2007 at 05:39 PM.

I said YMMV as the 24/7 doesn't have a typical trigger, I think they call it a SA/DA (second chance on an unfired round , but for in reality it can be carried as a DA.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    My .02. Please don't take it offensively. I want to give constructive critisicm:

If you are worried about "thinking" about an external safety then you are not training enough with your cc piece. You will end up having to use it in a high stress situation, you should practice enough with the weapon to where no matter what the safety device or lack thereof is you are one with it and there is no "thought" process involved. There will not be much time to think about your piece anyway in a high stress situation. You will be focused on the BG and threat recognition and believe me it will be focused.

My advice is to get a weapon that is reliable, fits your hand, and you are comfortable with. Then train with it until the external safety is no more than your training kicking in in a high stress situation.

That being said: Glock :)
    To AZ: All the handguns I have I own are DAO or the equivalent and they have no external safety. I want to keep it that way. I do train with my guns and I don't want to have to remember which I am carrying the one with the safety or the one with out. Because if I have to think then I am in deep kimchi. Although I have not tried the G36 I have tried a G23 (my wife's fun) and I find the grip to large for me.

To .02: What happens if the safety gets engaged while removing the gun from the holster. I pull the trigger expecting it to go bang and nothing. I may not get another chance. These are the reasons I want NO safety.

Ed
    Last edited by fsufanaz; May 8th, 2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Vaclav Havel

+1 for the XD .45 compact.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Quote Originally Posted by fsufanaz View Post
    To AZ: All the handguns I have I own are DAO or the equivalent and they have no external safety. I want to keep it that way. I do train with my guns and I don't want to have to remember which I am carrying the one with the safety or the one with out. Because if I have to think then I am in deep kimchi. Although I have not tried the G36 I have tried a G23 (my wife's fun) and I find the grip to large for me.

To .02: What happens if the safety gets engaged while removing the gun from the holster. I pull the trigger expecting it to go bang and nothing. I may not get another chance. These are the reasons I want NO safety.

Ed
    Well then try one of DAOmodel Sig P220's

Take a look at the Glock 21 SF ( slim frame ).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links