P-3AT Warranty Replacement, WOW

This is a discussion on P-3AT Warranty Replacement, WOW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About a year ago I purchased a "new" first generation P-3AT from a local shop. And I have had nothing but problems with it. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P-3AT Warranty Replacement, WOW

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)

P-3AT Warranty Replacement, WOW

About a year ago I purchased a "new" first generation P-3AT from a local shop. And I have had nothing but problems with it. The thing would fail to eject the spent shell 1 out of 6-10 times. As you can imagine this was not an acceptable failure rate for a gun I purchased for CCW use.

I tried everything from extra oil to no oil, other shooters, and every type of ammo I could find, and still the same problem. After exhausting every other option, I took it back to the shop I bought it from and asked them for help. They checked it out and they got the same result. The only other option was to send it back to Kel-Tec in Florida.

Then started the waiting game... The shop had no idea how long it would take before we heard anything, but thought it should not be more than 2-3 months.

When I purchased it, I was a little leery of the quality. The gun just seemed like a "toy" and I expected it would lack in its performance. That is the reason why it took so long for me to return it; I just did not expect much and was not surprised when it malfunctioned all the time.

Last Friday, after only 5 weeks, I get a call that said it was back. I picked it up today to find out it was NOT my gun. It was a NEW 2nd Generation P-3AT, with my original serial number.

Included was the following letter (I typed it word for word):
    P-3AT Warranty Replacement

Thank you for returning your P-3AT pistol for service.

We have replaced your First Generation P-3AT with a Second Generation model using your original serial number.

This replacement is not an option, recall, or upgrade that is available to the First Generation P-3AT owners. This is a new design of P-3AT, which is currently in production. Replacement of the First Generation P-3AT's is only possible in the event that it is determined necessary by a Kel-Tec service technician for warranty purposes.

Because the replacement of your P-3AT was for warranty purposes only, no charges are due.

Sincerely,

Kel-Tec Service Department
    1475 Cox Road
    Cocoa, FL 32926
    I have heard a lot of folks giving bad reviews of the Kel-Tec, and until today I would have agreed but not anymore. The service I received has blown my mind. I was told Kel-Tec had a good warranty program, but this went beyond my expectations.

Don't wait like I did. If you have a Kel-Tec and it is giving you problems I recommend sending it back. They may not replace it with a new gun like mine, but if they fix it who cares. I should have sent mine back a long time ago.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like A++ service!! Steve48

I love to see good reports on service like this :)

I own 2 KT pistols, a P11 and a P3AT (2nd gen). It's good to know they stand behind their products.

They do indeed look and feel like a cheap toy. The triggers are awful, plastic casting is crude, metal work is rough, and the metal finish is poor.

None of this means a thing, as long as the darn thing goes bang every time I pull the trigger, and both of mine do. IMHO, there is nothing on the market that compares in size, weight, and firepower to the P3AT. There are several firearms that compare favorably in one or two of these categories, but all three together? Nothing comes close.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Good to know, although I haven't had any trouble with mine. Knock on wood.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Yes, KelTec service is great!!!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Just increased my faith in my own P3AT!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I'm looking at buying a P3AT locally. Every gunshop in Pittsburgh has at least one. Now how do I recognize the difference between a 1st generation and 2nd generation? Thanks.
    "Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

The easiest way to tell is by looking at the extractor. The first-generation guns have a traditional-looking extractor on the right side of the slide, whereas the second-gens have a longer extractor that sits sort of diagonally between the right side and top of the slide, the new-style extractor actually sort of resembles the belt clip that comes with the Kel-Tec P-series guns.
    "Terrorists don't seem to be too afraid of stern language. But I do notice, that while the fear of death does not seem to deter these people, the fact of BEING dead does significantly decrease their operational effectiveness. "
    - Bill Whittle

I've read of this type of service before. When/if you shoot your pistol beyond the 6000rds average service life and break something, I've heard they'll replace with a new pistol with your original serial number. This is amazing. Like I've said before, they are not range guns. It starts to hurt after 100rds. Long trigger pulls and super light weight makes for punishing range trips. They are however, ment to be carried. I love mine!
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar

Thumbs up

Now go out there and shoot that puppy.(no don't shoot a puppy, just the pistol!) Let us know how well it performs now!

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by HollowpointHank View Post
    Now go out there and shoot that puppy.(no don't shoot a puppy, just the pistol!) Let us know how well it performs now!

I did that in the back yard today, and it shoots great. And no I did not shoot our 125lb puppy er.. full grown dog.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

VIP Member

The one on top is second generation. Bottom is first.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I had problems with my P3AT out of the box and called Kel-Tec. The next day they had UPS swing by my house to pick up the gun, and a few weeks after that I had a repaired pistol back in my hands. It's worked well since then, I'm very pleased with their service and products.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I have my Glock I carry. But you can also bet yer bottom Dollar I have my Kel-Tek on me as well. Wouldn't leave home without either one of them.
    Thanks for the Great Post
    I dont have a P3AT Mouse Gun
    or a G23,,,

Or do I ?

Kel-tecs have the best service department around. Recoil springs and pins that wear out they will send out to you for free!

Glad your P3AT is back.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links