Defensive Carry banner

Kahr P40 Range Report

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  SIXTO 
#1 ·
I went to the range after work today with my Kahr P40. I wasn't very pleased. I know that Kahr recommends a 200 round break in. I previously owned an MK9 that went through the first 450 without a problem.

I fired 333 rounds (just happened to work out that way). 200 rounds of American Eagle 165 gr .40 S&W by Federal and 133 rounds of my duty ammo, Federal Hydra-Shoks also in 165 gr.

Within the first 200 rounds I had 17 FTFs. 15 of those were with the Hydra-Shoks. Some of the FTFs just needed a tap on the mag to send the round into the chamber. Others needed a rack of the slide in addition to the tap. One time the slide did not go completely into battery.

I would say that out of those 200 rounds, 5 or 6 times the slide felt like it didn't go forward with authority even though the round went off. I have never experienced this with any semi-auto before.

The next 133 rounds which should have been past the break in period produced 6 FTFs. 2 of those were with the Hydra-Shoks.

I followed the instructions that Kahr gave by cleaning and lubing the gun prior to shooting it. This gun is pretty accurate. Most of my shooting was from 10 yards, although I wanted to test the accuracy at 25 yards and I was able to hit 8" groups without using a rest. Not bad for my first time shooting this gun. The recoil was not bad at all.

As far as the FTFs, I know that I wasn't limp wristing. I've been shooting pretty good for over 11 years. I'm thinking that the feedramp needs to be polished. I was going to bring it back to where I purchased it. Will this void my warranty with Kahr? I did purchase the gun NIB.

What do you guys and gals think? Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd polish the ramp up, and stick to FMJ for the re-break in. Go back to the range and work with the gun some more.

You may have been limp wristing.... I shoot about a case a month out of my Sigs, and I will still limp wrist once in a while when I switch to a Glock 23. The P40 is a lightweight snappy pocket rocket, it take some time and skill to get it right.

#6 ·
Thanks for the responses. I spoke to Kahr customer service today. I will be sending my Kahr to them tomorrow. The rep told me that they will polish the feedramp, put in a new recoil spring and possibly a new mag. He was very helpful.

Sixto, I'm pretty sure that I wasn't limp wristing. I shoot mostly Glocks which are also lightweight guns and never had a problem. But I will break it in again with ball ammo first.

NN, ball ammo is good for the range but not self defense. So I want it to work well with hollow points.

Holy Roller, I am aware of the 200 round break in period. But the malfunctions continued after that.

Njeske, I'm pretty sure that polishing the feedramp will work. I hope so, anyway.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.