Kahr P40 Range Report

This is a discussion on Kahr P40 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the range after work today with my Kahr P40. I wasn't very pleased. I know that Kahr recommends a 200 round break ...

Thread: Kahr P40 Range Report

Kahr P40 Range Report

I went to the range after work today with my Kahr P40. I wasn't very pleased. I know that Kahr recommends a 200 round break in. I previously owned an MK9 that went through the first 450 without a problem.

I fired 333 rounds (just happened to work out that way). 200 rounds of American Eagle 165 gr .40 S&W by Federal and 133 rounds of my duty ammo, Federal Hydra-Shoks also in 165 gr.

Within the first 200 rounds I had 17 FTFs. 15 of those were with the Hydra-Shoks. Some of the FTFs just needed a tap on the mag to send the round into the chamber. Others needed a rack of the slide in addition to the tap. One time the slide did not go completely into battery.

I would say that out of those 200 rounds, 5 or 6 times the slide felt like it didn't go forward with authority even though the round went off. I have never experienced this with any semi-auto before.

The next 133 rounds which should have been past the break in period produced 6 FTFs. 2 of those were with the Hydra-Shoks.

I followed the instructions that Kahr gave by cleaning and lubing the gun prior to shooting it. This gun is pretty accurate. Most of my shooting was from 10 yards, although I wanted to test the accuracy at 25 yards and I was able to hit 8" groups without using a rest. Not bad for my first time shooting this gun. The recoil was not bad at all.

As far as the FTFs, I know that I wasn't limp wristing. I've been shooting pretty good for over 11 years. I'm thinking that the feedramp needs to be polished. I was going to bring it back to where I purchased it. Will this void my warranty with Kahr? I did purchase the gun NIB.

What do you guys and gals think? Thanks in advance.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'd polish the ramp up, and stick to FMJ for the re-break in. Go back to the range and work with the gun some more.

You may have been limp wristing.... I shoot about a case a month out of my Sigs, and I will still limp wrist once in a while when I switch to a Glock 23. The P40 is a lightweight snappy pocket rocket, it take some time and skill to get it right.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Gun wants ball ammo

Kahr says there is a 200 round break-in for all their pistols. All the forums Ive read on it confirm this.

my CW9 definitely needed the 200 rounds break-in. i also noticed some rounds hanging up on the feed ramp. just polishing the ramp made that go away for both ball and HP ammo.

Thanks for the responses. I spoke to Kahr customer service today. I will be sending my Kahr to them tomorrow. The rep told me that they will polish the feedramp, put in a new recoil spring and possibly a new mag. He was very helpful.

Sixto, I'm pretty sure that I wasn't limp wristing. I shoot mostly Glocks which are also lightweight guns and never had a problem. But I will break it in again with ball ammo first.

NN, ball ammo is good for the range but not self defense. So I want it to work well with hollow points.

Holy Roller, I am aware of the 200 round break in period. But the malfunctions continued after that.

Njeske, I'm pretty sure that polishing the feedramp will work. I hope so, anyway.

Thanks again.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Administrator
    Hang in there, dont give up one it. Kahr's take some time and know how, they are not a "every mans" gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links