Safe to Disclose Your Gun's Serial #?

This is a discussion on Safe to Disclose Your Gun's Serial #? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why/why not? The reason I ask is because I've seen a few people obscure them when they post pics of their guns......

Thread: Safe to Disclose Your Gun's Serial #?

Safe to Disclose Your Gun's Serial #?

Why/why not? The reason I ask is because I've seen a few people obscure them when they post pics of their guns...

2. Remove Ads

Usually done so that no one can claim it was stolen or run a search on the # to find where you live

VIP Member
    Think of it as giving out your car's vitals such as VIN on a public forum. Along comes someone unscrupulous who describes the gun and the serial number reporting it stolen. Now you the rightful owner are in a spot where you need to prove you are the rightful owner. That is the reason I received when I asked about it a number of years ago.

Probably just an urban legend, but I do obscure the serial numbers when I post a gun photo just in case.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Assistant Administrator
    I also obscure or alter SN's on my pics ........ it's one of those things that might cause a problem tho unlikely.

If you like - for those of us who cover it up - it's a CYA manouver Better safe than sorry maybe.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Really it's likely not ever going to be a problem...but, we gun folks are normally extra wise, private, and cautious by nature so I guess that explains why I conceal my serial #s on my firearm pics.
    I don't really see it as being a huge never~do~nono though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Better safe than sorry - don't give out any info that might come back to bite you.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

It's basically a good idea to obscure for "operational security" purposes. Once you post it, you have no control over who sees it and what they might do with it. There are archives out there that seek to preserve and catalog everything on the net. Our government agencies are getting better about "opsec" since 9/11 but it is amazing how much personally identifying or otherwise sensitive information people still post! I have mentioned owning various weapons on this sight, but I will not say if those are all of the weapons I own or not. You all have heard about the CAGE unit in Illinois, If the wrong person gets elected President I would not put it past some of them to have some part of the D.O.J. start a data mining operation in the interest of "national security". If you have a post that shows a serial number that connects you to that specific weapon. It shows you had it in your posession at one time. If the "jack booted storm troopers" come to your door to collect your arms, you can bet that one will be on their list. Now, if you bought all of yours from a dealer and all the paperwork is in order, they will know about you anyway. If however you bought any from a private seller, without paperwork, as is or at least was legal in many states the papertrail ends at the original owners door. Posting that pic with a number could bring them to yours.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Really it's likely not ever going to be a problem...but, we gun folks are normally extra wise, private, and cautious by nature so I guess that explains why I conceal my serial #s on my firearm pics.
    I don't really see it as being a huge never~do~nono though.
    I agree, but I still wouldn't do so unless required by law.

Quote Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
    Why/why not?
    It's more about common sense, than anything else. Well, "common" being a bit different than what it used to be.

Info and identify theft being what it is, who knows exactly what can be done with a few of the "keys" to the kingdom. By far, it's best to take some simple precautions, such as:
    • ID -- have a POBox as the address, not your home address. Why? If a BG gets hold of the driver's license or CHL, he now knows two things: where to find your family, and the fact that you're not there. Think about it. Sadly, Oregon state law requires the physical addr be there, despite the obvious risks to one's immediate security.
    • Your car's ID's -- It's simple enough for someone to find that stuff while the car's parked somewhere, sure, but a person at a parking lot doesn't really know who you are. But if you publish the license and VIN over the internet, who's to say who now has access to that info, or what else they've got in-hand to combine with the new data?
    • Copies of your cards -- How long would it take you to recover your driver's license, CHL, credit card(s), Medicare card, SocSec card, birth certificat, and so on? What about account numbers you've got on loans, the mortgage, etc.? Got copies offsite, secure? Most do, at least for some of the above; but many don't for the common stuff (like ID cards). Keeping a photocopy offsite can dramatically streamline the recovery process of getting replacements, if you can actually prove you're who you say you are.
    • Paperwork -- Got shredder? Got burn barrel? No? Are you sure you know where your identifying names, addresses, SSN, serial numbers, account numbers, bank balances and other data goes once it has hit your trash can fully intact?
    • Bank balances -- In the age of online banking, you can configure alerts to notify you of large transactions or low balances; you can check your balances or look for strange activity. Simple steps.
    • Computer userid/password combinations -- Got copies of these offsite? If not, could you quickly replace them all? If not, what would that do to your accounts/transactions?
    • Times/places -- In a rut? If you regularly take the same routes at the same times, you're a predictable target for someone who's chumming for opportunities. Mix it up, a bit. Vary the times, take the other car, go a slightly different route.

These and a few others are minor changes, easily implemented, that can make a big difference to the difficulty of crafting a plan to take what you've got. While not foolproof, these steps are easy to do and are merely a minor inconvenience.

You think any of the above isn't likely or doesn't happen, regularly? If so, then you need to speak with your local/regional law enforcement officers assigned to ID theft cases. It's gone from bad to hugely risky, for everyone. The above are minor steps, easily done, with little inconvenience other than small changes in how you go about doing the same old thing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links