Bushing or Bull Barrel?

This is a discussion on Bushing or Bull Barrel? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can someone give me a basic pro/con rundown of these two options, I am looking at a 4 and a 5 inch Kimber Raptor, this ...

Thread: Bushing or Bull Barrel?

Bushing or Bull Barrel?

Can someone give me a basic pro/con rundown of these two options, I am looking at a 4 and a 5 inch Kimber Raptor, this will be a carry and range/shooting gun, so I am kinda wondering what one is better in terms of longevity, wear, reliability, etc.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Thumbs up

No real problems with wear.
    The bushingless barrels are especially helpful with short barreled firearms as the firearm can cycle much easier.
    If the barrel is properly fit with no "play" at the muzzle - then go for it.
    Just my personal opinion.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    No real problems with wear.
    The bushingless barrels are especially helpful with short barreled firearms as the firearm can cycle much easier.
    If the barrel is properly fit with no "play" at the muzzle - then go for it.
    Just my personal opinion.
    Yup. What he said.
    In a gov't or commander sized gun, I see no need for it. Something magically (or demonically) happens below 4.25" and things start to get a little wierd. There's where you start seeing a lot of bulls, exclusively proprietary springs and FLGRs used to lend the greatest assistance possible to the struggling cycle.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

VIP Member
    +2.

The farther you get from the original Browning design, the more likelihood that potential problems may creep into the mix. I personally prefer the barrel bushing system (standard, not match) for serious work; I feel that "match" and "target-grade" stuff is for the range. YMMV, of course!

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    When you get to the 4" barrel size a bushing is not really a option, the slide is short enough that if a bushing were in the mix things wound hit when the slide recoiled. If the bull barrel is fitted right you should not have problems. I have pistols in both flavors, and they all work alright. You take some of the bushing pistols down with a wrench, the bull barrels most take down with a paper clip. The 3" ones you mostly just hold the slide back while you remove the slide stop.

i prefer a bushing setup because i dont like guide rods and you have to use one with bull barrel

decisions decisions...My next purchase with be with Bushing...I own both btw. For me it's a more convenience thing. My old colt...I can field strip in a matter of not more than a few seconds. The kimber on the other hand (bushingless), I have to do the paperclip routine. If you're in a rush at the range or in the field and need to do a quick strip whether for emergency maint or whatever... I'll stick to the old design from now on. Learned my lesson.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Links