Grand Raptor or Trophy Match?

This is a discussion on Grand Raptor or Trophy Match? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I'm finally going to bite the bullet (so to speak) on my first full size 1911. I've been reading about and drooling over the ...

Thread: Grand Raptor or Trophy Match?

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar

Grand Raptor or Trophy Match?

So, I'm finally going to bite the bullet (so to speak) on my first full size 1911. I've been reading about and drooling over the Springfield Trophy Match, and I went to the gun shop today to take a look.

The store owner (a very bright guy in my estimation) said, "well, if you want the Cadillac of 1911's, then the Trophy Match will do, but if you want the Lamborghini, then you need to get the Kimber Ultra Raptor. It's the BEST out of the box 1911 you can buy in this price range."

I had heard a lot about extractor problems on the Kimbers, but the shop owner said he felt most of that was related to "do-it-yourself gunsmithing" and that the current extractors Kimber uses are great.

He also told me Kimbers are American made and Springfields are made in Brazil... not that it's a big deal for me, since I have a couple of foriegn-made guns... but still.

So, once I again, I need the guidance of the experienced members of this board to send me in the right direction.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have not kept up a lot with which extractor goes with which gen of kimber , but will say that a bud of mine has a raptor that is the equal of any 1911 i have ever shot for between 50 and 100 rounds . after that reliability falls off but accuracy does not . It is an external extractor , and has never had any smithing done to it ( home or not ) . Its a nice pistol , but like the early ar15/m16 must be kept extremely clean and properly lubed to function . Not an issue for him since he uses it as a " range queen " He has another kimber with an internal extracter that he uses for a carry gun and it goes " i have no idea but over 1k rounds " without clean or lubeing with reloads . I hear that the external extracters kimbers can be made to run well , but since its not a real issue for me i have not bothered to find out how .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

The springfield for my money out of the 2

I agree with Bud. I have the complete Raptor series ( 4) and they are sweet guns but if I was gonna buy one it would be the Springer, my wife gave me the Raptor series for our 25th anniversary and I only gave her 3 carrots ( carats ) so I think she still came out ahead. While I relly like the Kimbers I personally think they are just a tad overated not that they dont shoot extremely well but they are so tight that just a little dirt and reliability goes away nothing serious but maybe a failure to completely return to battery or a stovepipe once in a while and while thats not a problem for a range gun it would never do for any of my carry pieces. My .02
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Get the Kimber...

I've got to plug the Kimbers...I have two, and have never had difficulty with either!

With hundreds of rounds through each, I would carry either...but I favor the Ultra CDP II...the only other carry piece I use is my Glock-36...but that's another story...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I'd go with the Springfield too.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Grand Raptor

Funny you should ask! I just bought a Grand Raptor Saturday and have fired 200 rounds so far.

It has not malfunctioned once yet. I shot 100 rounds of 230 gr. fmj on Saturday and 100 of 200 gr. lead semi wadcutter reloads today. With the semi wadcutters it will drill the bullseye every time if I do my part. I didn't even have to adjust the night sights at all.

It has been a pleasure to shoot and the most accurate production 45 I have ever shot.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!!

The new Kimbers don't have external extractors.

I would bet, like any pistol, it will respond to how well it's taken care of. I personally love the tightness of the Kimber and have possession of my buddy's .40 Pro Carry and have loved it. No issues at all and he doesn't clean his very well.

Personally, spending the money you are, I would get what you just really like and would love showing off. The prouder you are of it will make you want to carry and shoot it more and take care of it better.

Go with your gut. I think those raptors look bad ace.
    XD-40 SubCompact with OD Green frame

Go Kimber! -- but you won't go wrong if you buy the SA. As jpdeuce said, pick what's most appealing to you. It won't be your last 1911 (guaranteed!), so don't worry too much.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Get the Springfield!! Steve48

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I think I'm gonna go with my gut... the Springfield. Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll be really proud to show off that Trophy Match.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Links