P12-45 question

This is a discussion on P12-45 question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay guys...... Im not a Para guy but am very 1911 familiar. A friend of mine bought a used P12-45 for somewhere in the neighborhood ...

Thread: P12-45 question

P12-45 question

Okay guys...... Im not a Para guy but am very 1911 familiar. A friend of mine bought a used P12-45 for somewhere in the neighborhood of $700. He was told that the pistol was slightly used (100 or so rounds thru it). Nice looking gun on the outside. He took it to the range and could get a box of 230 ball thru it without a FTE every 3 or 4 rounds. Yep same thing I'm thinking, limp wristing. But I told him I would look at the gun and take it to the range for him to see if it does the same for me. Well I get it last night and immediately break it down. hmmmm that in itself was an issue, the gun was filthy first off and I couldnt get it apart like a normal 1911, by depressing the plunger and rotating the barrel bushing. The bushing just wouldnt budge. So I just popped out the slide stop and broke it down that way. But like I said the gun was FILTHY! AND more than slightly used, there were alot of scratch marks inside the slide and the barrel/feed ramp were WELL WORN. It looks like someone did a "home" feed ramp polishing and really did a job on the feed ramp edges. They were rounded over not sharp and crisp like my 1911. I'm gonna take it to the range tonight to check its useability, but in my opinion there is no way this gun was worth the 700 he paid for it. I know that words cant give any of you a good picture of what I saw, and when I break it down tonight after the range I will take a few. Any opinions from you Para guys in the mean time? Any help would be appreciated.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

2. Remove Ads

Ok Alex, I own and shoot a stainless steel Para 12.45 LDA. I bought mine used for considerably less. Mine did the FTE/FTF thing too like your friends. Once those small problems are taken care of, he will have a pistol that is a tackdriver and is reliable. I know I love mine. Heres what to do. Replace the extractor immediately, with a heavy duty version. Also replace the bushing/spring assy. I got my replacements thru Brownells.
    When he is finished. I would see how 230 gr. hardball shoots thru her at about 7 to 8 yards. My para shot that ammo 8 o'clock low. So I switched to 200 and 185 grainers, and BINGO ! Instant tackdriver.
    Anymore problems and I'd look into the magazine.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I had a P12 LDA that had FTE and FTF and sent it back to Para. They did a good job but I traded it off because I could not "trust" the reliability of the gun. Steve48

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    I had a P12 LDA that had FTE and FTF and sent it back to Para. They did a good job but I traded it off because I could not "trust" the reliability of the gun. Steve48
    Which brings up another point....
    If this is a "range" only gun, then not that big of a deal....
    However, I would not use this hg as a defnsive weapon anytime soon....
    As far as the bad deal goes, that's unfortunately a painful and not easily forgotten lesson... Hopefully he will learn from it and steer clear of such dealings in the future....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

P12

I have one. It is my daily carry. I have NEVER had it fail to eject. If I let it get dirty, It will fail to feed. I use 185 gr. hp's in mine. It is very accurate for a short barreled pistol. To take it down, you have to push the plug down and turn it almost 180 degrees with a screwdriver. It is a little more trouble than with a Colt, but not that big a deal. I would not, however, give 700.00 for a used one. IME, 500.00 would be more in line for one in the condition you describe. If you keep the ramp and chamber clean, it should give no problems.

P12-45

Good used guns are getting hard to find, in Mass.
    But I found one at a gun show about 4 years ago. It has adjustable night sights the wrap around grips.
    I cannot believe how accurate it is for a short barrel gun.
    I keep it clean and it never has had an issue.
    It used to be my carry gun, know it sits on the night stand. I now carry a para LTC a lot eaiser to conceal. And a little lighter.
    As far as I am concerned they make a fine weapon.

Thanks Guys...... I did get it to the range yesterday afternoon and it was flawless for me. Ran thru 100 rounds without a burp. I did get my gun guru's to verify what I saw inside. Crappy feedramp polishing. not worth 700... perhaps a good 400 dollar gun, so it felt good that my diagnosis was accurate. I also told him to replace the extractor. BUt this is one of those bullets that must be bitten cause he will never recoup the $ he spent on it so he might as well keep it. I cleaned it up again...... rubbed some miltec on it and offered him 300 for it! lol THANKS Again all.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

I paid $575 for my P-12 in 2005. The gun was used (200 rounds?) and manufactured in 2000. I replaced all of the springs and the magazine catch. The weapon is fine now...
    Tony

I hope you have better luck with your P12 LDA than I did. It was an accurate gun but just did not want to trust my life to it. Steve48

Links