642 Review

This is a discussion on 642 Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 40FIVER You guys that keep saying the 642 just hides in your pocket must be kin to Goliath. Or else you've got ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 642 Review

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by 40FIVER View Post
    You guys that keep saying the 642 just hides in your pocket must be kin to Goliath. Or else you've got a smaller version than what they're selling down here.
    I've been wanting one for a long time, but every time I go look at em and stick one in my pocket, the grip's hanging out. The only way it will fit in my front jeans pocket is to stuff it in at an angle, and then it's hard to retrieve.
    Nope, 5'6" and 150 pounds. Maybe it's the jeans you are wearing. They might not have a deep enough pocket. Try regular Docker type pants, or better yet, cargo shorts or pants. I guarantee that you will not have that problem.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

Good review and great pics.

SY

Quote Originally Posted by 40FIVER View Post
    You guys that keep saying the 642 just hides in your pocket must be kin to Goliath. Or else you've got a smaller version than what they're selling down here.
    I've been wanting one for a long time, but every time I go look at em and stick one in my pocket, the grip's hanging out. The only way it will fit in my front jeans pocket is to stuff it in at an angle, and then it's hard to retrieve.
    Also try a smartcarry holster... In the summers of Texas I find myself using the smartcarry with the 642/637 alot....

My wife has a 642 (w/Crimson Trace). We spent about $40 and had a local gunsmith smooth it out and add a different spring kit. While it lightened it up slightly (not enough to add any danger), the best outcome was the smooth pull.

With my model 36, at 5 yards, using an IDPA target, I draw and empty the cylinder as fast as I can shoot, pointing and not aiming--it's amazing how well I hit.

Enjoy that light little snubby!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by clipse View Post
    642 Review

(ps sorry for the grainy and fuzzy photography. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to take pictures and my batteries went dead. I'll get better pics when I get new grips. )
    I'm curious as to what new grips you are getting for the 642. The 642 is one of my favorite guns and I just ordered the crimson trace 105 grips for it.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I replaced my rubber grips with wood grips. I found that the stock grips would grab my shirt tail and expose my rig.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I think I've commented on my 642 before, but it's worth saying again. I sold all my revolvers when our agency switched to autos. Then, the 642 came out and I read a gun ragazine article. It made so much sense that I bought one, and haven't looked back. Like somebody else said, if you ever carry a gun, you need one of these. I have an UM pocket holster that works-the only cheap holster I've ever had that works-and two or three grips for it, two ankle holsters, speedloader, speed strips, and a small horde of Nyclads for carry. I put bigger grips on it and shoot it every once in a great while when I shoot a Q course. I'd like the action to be smoother, and keep threatening to get a spring switch kit. I've tried to make the front sight more visible, but wound up with black Sharpie as the only cheap and workable answer. I like it because I can carry it anywhere, all the time, even in shorts and a tee shirt. It is not a shotgun or 1911, but it is always there with me, at least!
    What Would Gumby Do?

Great review! My wiffe bought me a 642 for xmas, and I really love it. I, too am surprised at how accurate it is. If anyone is contemplating this gun, get it. It is truly a fine fiirearm.

Quote Originally Posted by samtechlan View Post
    I'm curious as to what new grips you are getting for the 642. The 642 is one of my favorite guns and I just ordered the crimson trace 105 grips for it.
    I want wood grips with a Tyler T-grip. I don't know why for sure but I love the looks of it. These hard rubber grips are okay but I really like the look of wood. :)
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Ron
    I have the CT model 405 grips for my 642. They work very well. Absorb a bit of the recoil and don't add any height to the grip.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    I love my 642 and can shoot it well. I probably have 900 rounds through it. People I shoot with dont like shooting it, but I love it. . I also love the way it conceals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I have the CT model 405 grips for my 642. They work very well. Absorb a bit of the recoil and don't add any height to the grip.

Ron
    I originally considered the 405 grips but changed my mind after shooting a friend's 642 with the 405's. I have small hands and the covered backstrap was making me reach too far to the point where the recoil was hitting the inside side of my thumb rather than the web. I have no such issue with the stock grip so I opted for the ct grip with the uncovered backstrap.

I have never shot a 642 but did spend 15 years with a close relationship with a S&W 37. I carried very often with a Barami Hip Grip and stuck in my waistband at about 1:00. It carried as if it was not there, got me out of possible life threatening situations twice and was 100 % reliable.
    I also found it to be very accurate.
    I don't have that gun anymore due to a sad situation but I do have an old S&W 60 and a Taurus 85. I have tried both of them in my pocket and find them too heavy and bulky. The 442/642 might carry better but I would have to try it first.
    Any ways S&W J frames are great guns and will always have a warm spot in my heart. Maybe a 642 will be in my future!

Ron
    I originally considered the 405 grips but changed my mind after shooting a friend's 642 with the 405's. I have small hands and the covered backstrap was making me reach too far to the point where the recoil was hitting the inside side of my thumb rather than the web. I have no such issue with the stock grip so I opted for the ct grip with the uncovered backstrap.
    Got to go with what works best for you. Sounds like you made the right choice.

Ron

J. R. R. Tolkien

I love my 642. just orderd a pocket holster from HighNoon.

Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links