642 Review

This is a discussion on 642 Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great review and pics. I don't own a wheely --- yet!!...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 642 Review

Great review and pics. I don't own a wheely --- yet!!
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up

Mine should be here by this weekend! I can't wait to get it to the range and shoot it!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post
    Mine should be here by this weekend! I can't wait to get it to the range and shoot it!
    Have fun with it. Your going to love it.

As I said in an earlier post,I planned to use my 642 in idpa ,and did..about 100 rounds is too much in one night!My hand was a little sore the next day.But I did well.3 of us used j frames,and I came in 1st in the bug group.Man,I love this gun.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

I have a 642 and shot NRA master in the past.You should take your show on the road with targets like that at 21'.Mine are no where near that.The action will get better with time, but I opened up the side cover and blew out the machining debris first.The trigger is heavy and the "sights" are completely non functional for my 53 year old eyes. Crimson trace is on order. Bottom line is that the 642 will really grow on you after you get the hang of accurately firing it. That will take some effort as it is probably the hardest weapon to shoot accurately that I have ever fired (standard loads).The Mika pocket holster will be the best $20 you ever spend.All in all probably one of the best snubbie available. I even like the lock.I find it handy to not have to unload the gun every time I put it away and still feel like it is safe. Chuck.

I guess I am part of the club now.

I've had a 442 Airweight for years and love it, its loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135+P, this little guy just disappears in a pocket until you need it. When you do carry it in a pocket, I suggest that a good quality pocket holster is used, several have already been suggested.

"First rule of a gun fight is to have a gun"

A 38 in the hand is much better than a 45 in the gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by 40FIVER View Post
    You guys that keep saying the 642 just hides in your pocket must be kin to Goliath. Or else you've got a smaller version than what they're selling down here.
    I've been wanting one for a long time, but every time I go look at em and stick one in my pocket, the grip's hanging out. The only way it will fit in my front jeans pocket is to stuff it in at an angle, and then it's hard to retrieve.
    I am able to conceal mine in a nemesis pocket holster. I added the larger Hogue grips fro better control and accuracy. I can shoot hundreds of rounds and not feel like I have been abused by a hand cannon. I do wear the deeper pocketed jean shorts and cargo type shorts. This will not fit in my typical jean pockets. i am considering getting a IWB holster for it and potentially buying some crimson trace grips. The gunshop had a 642 with the laser grips and the grips felt great. I just didn't have the extra 250$ fro the laser light show!

Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

I'm part of the club too now! As of this afternoon. Looking forward to shooting it!

“They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

have had a 442 for years and love it. nice review and great pics.
    Deer huntin' is a hole in the swamp where i spend my wife's money....

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    The only negative I've found with the 642 is the finish on the frame. It has a coating that will come off with wear. I had a 637 (642 with a hammer) and carried it constantly and wore a lot of little spots off the frame, especially along the backstrap. So if you like pretty, you'll have to treat it right and baby the finish. But if you through it in a fishing vest pocket or forget and put keys in your pocket when pocket carrying, you will get some spots where the finish comes off a bit. Boils down to whether it's a tool or a show piece. As for carrying and shooting, I love mine and replaced my 637 with it.

God Bless
    Gideon

Thanks for the great review. The 642 is definately on my wish list for my next purchase. I'd use it for either pocket or ankle carry as a BUG or lightweight Primary weapon.

Well, here's a bad review.

My wife has a 642. Every time we shoot, after about 20 rounds, when the gun is good and hot. The thing just locks up. Can't pull the trigger, and can't open the cylinder.

After letting it cool off, it's fine for about another 20 rounds. Guess that makes it an okay weapon if you don't plan on reloading it in a SHTF situation.

I put Barami Hip Grips (with the optional finger grooves) on it, and use Galco's pocket holster (the expensive one). It fits in slacks, and cargo pants pockets, but definatly not jeans.

BTW, the grips are nice, and the holster is one of the nicer ones i've seen.

Here is a pic of the holster.
    Last edited by TerryD; July 11th, 2007 at 05:32 PM. Reason: added pic
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Strange

Quote Originally Posted by TerryD View Post

My wife has a 642. Every time we shoot, after about 20 rounds, when the gun is good and hot. The thing just locks up. Can't pull the trigger, and can't open the cylinder.

After letting it cool off, it's fine for about another 20 rounds. Guess that makes it an okay weapon if you don't plan on reloading it in a SHTF situation.
    Thats strange. I push 50+ rounds through my 442 each time I go to the range. It never gets too hot and has never locked up.

I have experienced a HOT snub with my dads old charter arms (no lock up). Just thought it was the difference of materials. Maybe thats the case with the 642?

Quote Originally Posted by TerryD View Post

Very strange, that's not "normal" Maybe you should contact S&W. I shoot about 70 rds per session (50 WWB & 20 +P's) sometimes shooting 10-15 rds fast while practicing reloads and have zero problems.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links