642 Review

642 Review

This is a discussion on 642 Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 642 Review I love the revolver. I don't know why. I have a few simi-auto handguns but the ones that get used the most are ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 642 Review

642 Review

642 Review

I love the revolver. I don't know why. I have a few simi-auto handguns but the ones that get used the most are my revolvers. My problem was, my only CCW revolver was a Ruger SP101. While it excels well as a CCW revolver, it still won't fit well in a pocket. :) So, a while ago I did some research on a small lightweight gun that would fit well in my pocket. I found it in the 642. Unfortunately since I have a little one on the way, I didn't have the money for a new one. I scoured many places looking for one (used).....That is difficult at best. Then it happened. I don't really want to go into details (long story and sad) but, I got a like new 642 for a very good price. I was a bit suprised at first. I thought it would have been lighter. I had read reports about the recoil with such a light gun being really bad. Not at all. Granted, I could tell they were they but they were very managable. (I'll elaborate more on that in a minute)

I've had this little guy for quite a while just sitting in the safe. Finally I got a day off for President Trumans Birthday. So, to celebrate I made my way out to the indoor range. I spent an hour shooting this little guy with three different loads. The WWB 100 round 130 gr. FMJ Target/Range ammo, WWB 125 gr. JHP Personal Protection ammo (my carry ammo), and some 148 gr. double ended wad cutters on 3.5 grains of bullseye with CCI small pistol primers. I was have some problems with my hand loads. Actually I was have problems with my powder measurer. It was a bit inconsistent. Either way, I omitted my handloads from this review.

Shooting the gun was enjoyable and easier than that I thought it would be. The trigger was heavy and long.....and gritty. My Ruger SP101 is silky smooth in comparison. I did alot of dry firing and it seemed to smooth out some. Or I just became used to it. Either way, its better than it was. All of my shooting for the day was done at 7 yards. That seems to be a common agreement on combat distance. I started out with the Target/Range ammo. I ran about 70 rounds through the 642. I was very very suprised at the accuracy of this little guy. I couldn't have asked for a more accurate little pocket gun. The following picture depicts a typical group at 7 yards.

Next was the Personal Protection ammo. At first I was concerned that flinching was going to be a problem. So, I loaded 4 live rounds and one spend case. Gave the cylinder a few turns while I was looking up and then closed it. I was surprised that the recoil was as bad as I expected. It was noticeable but more than manageable. I went through 50 rounds. Again, the following picture depicts a typical group shot with the Personal Protection ammo in my 642.

So, this is all fine and good if you are shooting slowly and controlled. So, what about shooting under stress and quickly. Well I can't recreate the stress that a SD situation would have but I can shoot quickly. I loaded two of my speed loaders and the gun. I shot every shot as quickly as I could pick up the front sight (less than a second between shots) and reloaded and repeated until I killed 15 rounds. Here is was I came up with.

So, how does it carry? Well,......really well actually. The only holster I currently have for it is a cheap Uncle Mikes IWB holster. I bought this for pocket carry but with the IWB holster it conceals very very well. I've also used the IWB holster as a pocket holster. It works better than I imagined. And in a pocket this little gun goes completely unnoticed. This little thing just might be the perfect CCW gun IMHO. :)

(ps sorry for the grainy and fuzzy photography. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to take pictures and my batteries went dead. I'll get better pics when I get new grips. )
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Good review, I carry a close cousin a S&W638 , Ya gotta love those
    J frames.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

WOW! Every time I see one of these little guys, and read an AWESOME review like yours - it makes me want one more and more! Good job!

And I thought your photography was incredible! MUCH better than I could have done!

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Have you looked into the Speer 135gr +P Gold Dots for short barrels? My wife carries them in her 642 and loves them. I am picking up a 442 and will most likely carry them in that as well.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Have you looked into the Speer 135gr +P Gold Dots for short barrels? My wife carries them in her 642 and loves them. I am picking up a 442 and will most likely carry them in that as well.
    I've looked into them but I shoot the WWB PP ammo really well and it is cheap enough to practice with once in a while.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Ron
    Nice review. I, too, have a 642 and love it. You might want to look into a Mika pocket holster. Works great with the 642, and gets rave reviews. Enjoy the gun.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Great review. Sounds like your experiences with this little gun mirror mine. I didn't buy it to be a tack driver or range gun but was pleasently supprised how accurate it can be. The recoil is a bit snappy but find that I actually enjoy shooting it partly because of the snappiness. Any time I go to the range I allway squeeze off a few cylinders
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Senior Moderator
    Good review, I have often thought about getting a 642
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I cc a 642 also(pocket carry)
    the other night at IDPA,we had Course of fire where we used my 642 as a back up gun.The scenario was,your gun runs dry,so you go to your BUG(the 642)We were at about 20 feet or so.Everyone was clean w/ the little guy.I got to wondering why I shoot the big horkin' .45 when I can shoot the 15oz gun so well.. ....I think next week I'll use the 642 all night.....
    I use the 135 gr gold dot too BTW..
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Good review.

I also carry the Speer 135+P's in my 642. They are perfect fo rthis little gun.

I would also suggest that you tray a Mika's pocket holster. I use one frequently for pocket carry and really like it.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a new belt and a 642 pancake holster to match it. I will post pics when it arrives.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Great review and even better shooting. It's nice to see someone prove that the little J-frames are capable of such accuracy. A lot of people write them off as inaccurate since they do not possess the skills needed to shoot them well.

VIP Member
    Excellent review... thank you!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Good review, I have often thought about getting a 642
    Just do it! After 20 years of being a semi auto guy I bought a 442 and love it. Now my daily carry in a Kramer Pocket. If you buy one I don't think you'll regret it.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    congrats. Every year when the weather gets nice, I put away the ultra carry and get out the 642. I really love this little revolver also. I installed CT grips and it still disappears in the pocket. I bought a cheap pocket holster and it just sits nice in shorts, jeans whatever....and when I don't wear pockets, like sweats, or gym type shorts....it goes in the smart carry....perfect summer ccw gun....
    I have to agree that if you are a lifetime carrier like most of us are...this is a must have firearm....much like a ruger 10/22 or a lever action 30/30....

Hey check out those flat stripper reloaders...they are real easy to use and fit great in a pocket....regular speed loaders are nice at the range...but pretty bulky to carry...i know www.midway.com has them.
    Last edited by snowdoctor; May 10th, 2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: another thought
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

You guys that keep saying the 642 just hides in your pocket must be kin to Goliath. Or else you've got a smaller version than what they're selling down here.
    I've been wanting one for a long time, but every time I go look at em and stick one in my pocket, the grip's hanging out. The only way it will fit in my front jeans pocket is to stuff it in at an angle, and then it's hard to retrieve.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links