Para Ordnance P16 10mm auto conversion?

This is a discussion on Para Ordnance P16 10mm auto conversion? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've been looking to get a concealed-carry capable 10mm auto pistol, and my options seem to be either a Glock 20/29, or a 1911. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Para Ordnance P16 10mm auto conversion?

So I've been looking to get a concealed-carry capable 10mm auto pistol, and my options seem to be either a Glock 20/29, or a 1911. 10mm 1911s are a rare breed anymore, and the only manufacturer I could find that makes new ones chambered for 10mm is Kimber.

However, I was doing some research and stumbled on a lot of references to people reaming the chamber out, and thusly converting Para Ordnance P16-40 pistols from .40S&W to 10mm auto. Assuming that the work is done properly by a competent gunsmith, should this pistol conversion function flawlessly? I'd really like to give it a try as a carry weapon. For any who are wondering, I'm not worried about potential litigation because of a modified pistol that a prosecutor could say I modified to fire more deadly ammunition (I know someone would bring it up otherwise!). The Para is a double stack, which means I'll be able to carry more rounds of 10mm than I would, even if I bought a new 10mm Kimber.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has a P16 that's been converted to 10mm, and what their experiences are with it. Thanks for any info.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

There is a guy who hangs out on the 10mm forums who built one.
    It would pay to go there an ask around, they'll point out the fella.

http://www.10mmtalk.com/
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Geoff,

I personally would not carry 10mm as a CCW for fear of civil liability.

If I were in Alaska or some upcountry zone then maybe because I could say with reasonableness that I am carrying such a powerful round due to concern for attack from four legged as well as bipedal animals.

Think of it in the eyes of the average civilian gun ignorant person.
    The attacker/plaintiff comes at you the jury with stats and figures toward the power levels of the 10mm and how no police agencies nore the military use the round. Assuming you have a typical defense attorney who is weak sauce and himself gun ignorant then well it could look bad for you carrying around a 'hand cannon' which no doubt it'll be spun as.

Hell people and the media still to this day believe the .45 ACP is the most powerful handgun round. I saw just that statement featured 4 weeks ago on the front page of my local newspaper in an article discussing gun crimes. Of course the writer was completely wrong but the newspapers editor and most of the gun ignorant readers don't know this.

Put yourself in the place of a jury.
    Could you explain to them why this round is not unreasonable to carry as relative to more conventional carry rounds like the common .38, 9mm, .40, and .45 or even .357 non magnum.

$0.02 street

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It's simple.

10mm is a PISTOL ROUND. It is more powerful than most, yes, but because of its powerful nature it is more effective at stopping the threat. The fewer rounds I need to use to stop the threat, the less chance there is of a stray bullet causing unintended damage to innocent bystanders or property.

In a sense, my using a more powerful round is ensuring the safety of those around me.

If my defense attorney can't come up with that (or a similar statement), then I'll represent myself, and be better off for it.

oh, and there are still many police agencies around the country that use 10mm auto as their service pistol cartridge of choice.

Also, I've been perusing Para Ordnance's site for awhile now, and the Tac-Forty seems to be a more optimal CCW configuration. I was wondering if this could be converted to 10mm in the same fashion as the 16-40.

Geoff,
    10mm is my favorite cartridge and I own several, including a few Bren Tens and a Para P16 conversion. This was an easy, flawless conversion. Mine has a 10mm Ed Brown barrel fitted to it; instead of reaming the stock Para barrel, but either way is certainly an option.
    The Para mags have enough free room in them that they fit and feed 10mm with no modifications.
    As to down-sizing the gun, my current custom project is a Caspian Officers model frame fitted with Caspian Commander slide for a very compact 10mm CCO package. I hope to have that back from the
    'smith some time within the next few weeks.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Thanks, Mark. I'm currently searching out likely sources and prices for Para 16s.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    There is a member here, freakshow10mm, that did exactly what you are suggesting. I suggest that you contact him.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I personally won't carry anything that isn't stock. No carrying the custom rig.

That's just me though.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Carrying a stock rig is certainly understandable, but I won't be dissuaded from carrying the most effective weapon just because it's modified and out of fear of some prosecutor trying to turn it against me.

Okay then it sounds like you've got itcovered.
    Best of luck on your mission and heres to you never having to repeat that explanation outside of the internets.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity View Post
    Geoff,
    10mm is my favorite cartridge and I own several, including a few Bren Tens and a Para P16 conversion. This was an easy, flawless conversion. Mine has a 10mm Ed Brown barrel fitted to it; instead of reaming the stock Para barrel, but either way is certainly an option.
    The Para mags have enough free room in them that they fit and feed 10mm with no modifications.
    As to down-sizing the gun, my current custom project is a Caspian Officers model frame fitted with Caspian Commander slide for a very compact 10mm CCO package. I hope to have that back from the
    'smith some time within the next few weeks.
    And you're just now telling us about it? You don't work and play well with others, do you? Good to know about the .40 mags working for 10mm, I didn't know about that. You're gonna post picsof that CCO, aren't you?
    Jack

Any particular reason you wouldn't just go with the Glock 29? It's a great weapon and very easily concealed. Custom guns are cool and all but just curious.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    And you're just now telling us about it? You don't work and play well with others, do you? Good to know about the .40 mags working for 10mm, I didn't know about that. You're gonna post picsof that CCO, aren't you?
    Jack

Of course I'll post pics. Mags will be the issue for this one. The Kimber .40 compact mags are blocked. Colt Delta mags will work as spares but will stick out the bottom since it's an officer's frame.
    Tripp will make their Cobra mags in Officer's length, so I've got a few of those on order. (Need a "fingers crossed" smiley icon doo-hickey thing to add here).
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike from Texas View Post
    Any particular reason you wouldn't just go with the Glock 29? It's a great weapon and very easily concealed. Custom guns are cool and all but just curious.
    Don't know if your asking me of Geoff, nut I'll chime in. I own most of the Glocks, and they are fine guns; but i have a soft spot for custom 1911s. The Glock 45/10s are quite block. A 1911, especially a compact, is just much more comfortable to carry, and this coming form a holster-maker who can have any holster he wants.
    Not withstanding, I shoot better with a 1911 than any other pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links