Range Report: Charles Dailey Hi Power

This is a discussion on Range Report: Charles Dailey Hi Power within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off; I know a Charles Dailey? What would possess you to buy a Charles Dailey? Well… price and features to name a couple of ...

Thread: Range Report: Charles Dailey Hi Power

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!

First off; I know a Charles Dailey? What would possess you to buy a Charles Dailey? Well… price and features to name a couple of things. Something about a Hi Power has always appealed to me after all it is a classic much the same as a 1911 is a classic you can’t argue with John Browning he was a genius.

The Charles Dailey Hi Power has the XS sights so they are easy and quick to acquire, a better safety then the 50’s stile FN Browning Hi Power, the extended ejector, and the bur type hammer, rubber checkered grips (stamped Browning Hi Power on the inside) and the 13 round double stack magazine. It came with one 13 round magazine (unknown manufacture) and one 10 round magazine (Merc Gear) I also picked up another 13 round magazine (USA Mags), and borrowed a 13 round (FM mag). All the magazines worked without any problems in the pistol.

I fired about 300 rounds some Winchester White Box 9mm Luger 115GR FMJ and the same in Remington and PMC Starfire 124grain JHP. That is 300 rounds total in 3 trips to the range but the results are consistant. With zero failure to feed, eject or fire. No problems at all. It ate everything without a problem.

Initially the trigger was rough you could feel it grinding when you fired. It did smooth out considerably. It no longer grinds and is smooth. At 12 yards slow rate of fire two handed grip I/it put everything in a 3” group other then a couple of fly a ways that ended up in the 6 ring.. It could do much better with someone else holding onto it I don’t consider myself a particularly good shot. Double tapping at 3 yards it gave me 1.5” groups. It shoots where you point it and the sights seem to be right on the money.

What I did not like about it: first it is not a light weight gun it is all steel and feels like it. The trigger pull starts out a bit stiff and if you keep firing seems to stiffen up even more as it heats up. Or my finger just got tired of pulling the trigger not sure which it is. Not the best finish on the pistol and I will replace the rubber grips.

Did I mention that it was $349.00 and made in the USA? All in all I am very happy with it. I think it is a keeper. If interested in CCW with it, It would conceal much like a full size 1911. For that matter 1911 holsters fit it just fine.
    Last edited by mark555; May 10th, 2007 at 04:14 PM.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Thanks for the report, keep us updated.
    I've been considering one of those myself.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

I picked up one about a month ago.
    I'm having some FTE problems. I put in a new extractor in spring last night. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Good fit and finish over all though. The slide to frame fit is very good. Still getting used to the sights. I may have them replaced with standard sights.
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; May 11th, 2007 at 03:38 PM.

CD HiPower

I had one, and let it go. I had an FEG at the same time, and neither gave me any trouble. I decided I only wanted one ammo size, so I sold them both. I don't really know why you would want to trade the grips. I kind of liked those soft rubber grips. I still have a pair of thin black plastic, and a pair of thick coca bola grips.

I've always admired them. Thankyou for your review.
    Regards, Rick

Senior Moderator
    I've been interested in them let us know how well it continues to preform.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have had one for about months @ 300 rnd downrange with no major problems.It feeds anythinh I have tried and it really like WW 115 hp, good value in a great design Doug
    a armed man is his own master

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Who makes them? I seem to remember someplace in Turkey?

I think it's Charles Daly Hi-Power. I found this to be a good review: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/hi_072604/
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Who makes them? I seem to remember someplace in Turkey?
    The frame is made in the USA and the slide and other parts are imported with the finial assembly done in USA. I have heard that the imported parts are from FEG. But I also heard that FEG recently went out of business. So hopefully they can source the parts from somewhere else.

IMO it is a very good HP clone.

Links