Choices for new carry gun

This is a discussion on Choices for new carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I've mentioned in a few other threads , I'm thinking about moving to a pistol with a high capacity magazine. The force-on-force training I ...

Thread: Choices for new carry gun

As I've mentioned in a few other threads, I'm thinking about moving to a pistol with a high capacity magazine. The force-on-force training I did in a recent course has given me a greater appreciation for the ability to fire a lot of shots without reloading. I'm a big guy (6'5", 265lbs) and I think I can conceal a full-size pistol pretty well. The pistols I'm considering aren't actually much bigger than a USPc .45 with the finger-rest baseplate. My hands a pretty big, and I didn't have a problem shooting the XD or Glock 21, even with their large grips.

Right now I'm looking at four options: 10 round mags for my USP compact, a fullsize USP, the Springfield XD, and the Glock 21. I went to the range and rented the XD and the Glock today, and both of them feel like they'd be good choices. I haven't had a chance to shoot the fullsize USP, but I've obviously got plenty of experience with my USPc. Here's my thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of the four options.

New mags for the USPc:
    The HK45c (HK's new .45 caliber compact pistol) is supposed to come out later this year. The magazines are going to be interchangable with the USPc .45, including a new ten round extended mag (two more rounds than the standard magazine). The big advantage here is cost. Even at the considrable prices HK charges for mags, it's a lot cheaper than buying a new gun. However, it's only two more rounds, and the added length would give my USPc at least as long a grip as one of the fullsize guns.

USP Fullsize .45:
    Since my current EDC is the USP compact, the obvious choice to replace it with a full size gun would be it's big brother. I like the compact, I'm already familiar with the controls and I know what the trigger feels like. The real downside here is cost. Not just the additional cost of the gun itself (about $200 more than the XD or Glock), but the cost of magazines. Part of the reason I'd like to get a hi-cap pistol sooner rather than later is that I'm concerned about a new AWB. If I buy the gun, but I don't lay in a good supply of hi-cap mags, it doesn't help much! I'm thinking I want at least a dozen mags, and at the prices HK charges, that's close to $500! I could buy a pretty nice pistol for that much! Glock and XD mags are a lot cheaper.

Springfield XD:
    The XD's got a good reputation for being inexpensive and reliable. It shot pretty well for me today at the range. The main thing I'm leery about with the XD is the grip safety. In the force-on-force, some of the guys shooting 1911 airsofts had trouble engaging the grip safety, particularly when they were drawing in the middle of a hand to hand confrontation. Since I don't feel the grip safety has many benefits, I'd really rather not have one on my gun.

Glock 21:
    Glocks have a rock solid reputation when it comes to reliability. I was able to shoot it quite well at the range this morning. My biggest concern when it comes to the Glock is adjusting to the grip angle. Glocks have always pointed a little high for me, and I'll need a lot of practice to adjust.

Well, those are my thoughts so far. I'd be interested in hearing from other board members about the various virtues and vices of these pistols, as well as any other pistols I might want to consider. I'm actually leaning fairly heavily towards a particular choice, but I'll keep my mouth shut on which for a while so I don't bias people's comments.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Well, if you're comfortable with your USPc, why not just buy a bunch of Hi-caps for it. I take it you're already carrying it. If you like it & shoot it well, why fix it if it ain't broke?

If I were to get another gun, I'd get the Glock. It is reliable, parts are everywhere & mags are cheap.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    Well, if you're comfortable with your USPc, why not just buy a bunch of Hi-caps for it. I take it you're already carrying it. If you like it & shoot it well, why fix it if it ain't broke?
    Primarily because the HK45c mags would only get me up to 10+1 rounds (only 2 more than I've got now) versus 13+1 with the Glock or XD.

USP 45 or Glock 21

Of your candidates, I would tend to rule out the XD on the grip safety issue you raised (which I agree with) and would not go the 10 round magazine route with your existing USP 45 compact. You wanted high capacity, and the 12 and 13 round magazines of the USP 45 and the Glock 21 fit that requirement better than the 10 rounder.

So between the USP 45 and the Glock 21, I think both are good choices. The high cost of the USP and magazines is a factor, as is the Glock grip angle. I personally have a USP 45 that I like very much, and would certainly endorse this gun as being reliable and accurate, with light weight for carry.

The Glock 21 is also excellent, and I think you could adjust to the grip angle. I have a couple of Glocks (not the model 21) and the grip angle doesn't bother me at all. So the choice comes down to your personal preference and how much money you want to spend. Here is my USP 45, and a holster I have used with it.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Well… If you are concerned about the grip safety on the XD I would stay away from it (I have an XD and like it very much) but if you saw that as a potential problem area then look at your other options.

If Glocks don’t point where you want them to for you then maybe you should bypass the Glock also. After all in a hurry you want something that performs like you want it to and if you have to change your grip or target aiming point to adjust for the Glock then you may experience problems when you switch back to the HK.

That brings us back to the HK, if the new mags fit in your compact and will fit in the full size USP then why not get the new mags for your current carry and then buy the new full sized USP that way you have two pistols that use the same magazines so you can change your platforms with out investing in all the other gear that goes along with it?

Good luck on your choice, all of your options are good so it will be hard to go wrong.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Glocks are great because like you say they are rock solid. Ive never had a mis-fire in either my G19 or G23 & they are easily conceled (these are the compact models, 9mm & .40 cal) & parts & accessiories are everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by mark555 View Post
    That brings us back to the HK, if the new mags fit in your compact and will fit in the full size USP then why not get the new mags for your current carry and then buy the new full sized USP that way you have two pistols that use the same magazines so you can change your platforms with out investing in all the other gear that goes along with it?
    Unfortunately, the fullsize USP and the compact can't exchange mags. The fullsize mags are considerably wider (about the same width as a conventional double stack like the Glock or XD) while the compact mags are about halfway between a single stack and a true double stack.

I wouldn't rule out the XD for the grip safety issue. You're assuming the ergonomics that caused issues for FoF with a 1911 airsoft will apply to the XD. As an XD owner I can tell you that the ergonomics are very different. The XD45 compact gives you 10rd mags in the short configuration for better concealment when its called for, but then you've got the option of a 13rd mag with a grip extender.

With the selection you've outlined I'd emphasize trigger, feel and pointability. All your options are fine weapons.

Well, as I said before, I'd get the Glock if you don't want to get mags for your gun.

I had a G-21 for over 10 yrs. In fact, I bought it after trying it out with an HK & a Sig 220. I actually preferred the Sig, but wanted more capacity. If you practice some with the Glock, the grip angle won't be an issue anymore.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

the grip safety was one of my concerns before i tried it. when i draw I'm always on top of it (when i want to be of course, not for unholstering) and still find it way faster than dealing with a manual safety. personal preference i suppose.
    What's this button do?

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I'd choose the Glock or the XD, and I'd probably pick the Glock because of the familiar grip angle. Some people like it, some don't. What I do know is that both options will go bang when you pull the trigger.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Not to pick on 1911 owners, I love them too (The guns, only some of the owners ). But it's interesting that some people list the ability to just draw & fire & not have to worry about manipulating "any" safety as important.

Yeah, training will fix that, but let's face it, it is a fine motor skill. I think that's why many trainers switched from their 1911s to Glocks or XDs.

Not trying to start anything at all, just an observation.
    Last edited by cockedlocked01; May 11th, 2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Improve the grammar
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Glock 21:
    Glocks have a rock solid reputation when it comes to reliability. I was able to shoot it quite well at the range this morning. My biggest concern when it comes to the Glock is adjusting to the grip angle. Glocks have always pointed a little high for me, and I'll need a lot of practice to adjust.
    Ditto. I hate that stupid hump!

A friend of mine filled the grip channel with black epoxy and sanded the backstrap flat, then checkered it; he also extended the beaver tail. Very professional looking and now shoots and feels like a real gun. I still dislike the angle, but vastly improved. He's a smith, but if youre not, I've heard it's a fairly popular improvement, so it shouldn't be hard to find someone to do it for you.
    Of course, it's a lot easier to just buy something that fits in the first place.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Glock 21:
    I am an XD fan myself however the new G21sf might be easier to adjust to then the standard Glock?
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Sponsored Links