Urban Myth or Reality?

This is a discussion on Urban Myth or Reality? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My P3AT has well over 2,000 rounds through it.. in fact closing in on 3,000, and I've never had a malfunction of any kind. (knock ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urban Myth or Reality?

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    My P3AT has well over 2,000 rounds through it.. in fact closing in on 3,000, and I've never had a malfunction of any kind. (knock on wood). I carry it every day, and I have total confidence in it.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

2. Remove Ads

I am a firm believer in that if a weapon of any kind is taken care of and inspected routinely, they will be an inheritance to future generations.

I have shot over 25,000 rounds through my PT-101, and while it shows a little holster wear and some on the frame rails, it has proven to be of the utmost reliability. My AMT, that I have only had for a little over a year has nearly 500 through it with no signs of giving up.

The Kel-Tec P3AT and the like (to include my AMT), are nothing more than "Get off me!!" guns. That's what you are yelling while drilling the 5,6,or 7 rounds that you have in it, into the guts of the dirtball that made a potentially grave mistake. They make for great "Get me to" guns as well. They are what you use to get you to the one that will end the game.

As said earlier, I can only stand about 50 rounds out of the AMT in one setting. Even at that, my hands will tingle for two days afterwards. I don't have that problem with any of my bigger stuff.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Allow me to add, as a defensive gun, I recommend to novice shooters to buy a quality gun chambered no less than .38 in a revolver, and 9mm in a semi-auto.

I believe that if you intend to carry anything smaller, that it is a back-up piece and not a primary.

I realize shot placement is critical and that one hit with a .22 is better than 6 misses with a .45, but still, why limit yourself?
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

My Keltec ran great right out of the box. Most guns can benefit from a little tlc and polishing that the factory just did not take the time to give.
    But the F&B is not required. Keltec has an excellent warranty, so if something goes wrong, they'll fix or in some cases replace it. You won't wear it out.

I emailed Kel-Tec about my P-11 and they told me to expect around 10,000 rounds if I keep it clean and lubed but that if I shoot +p that it would half that life.

I have around 2,000 rounds in it right now and it's just starting to show use. I clean it and use high temp auto grease for range sessions and clean it again when I get home.
    Being peaceful does not guarantee peace, strength and a willingness to commit violence when needed does.

The P3AT has a lot longer life span. It was in a magazine last month as a clarification from the previous month. They mag quoted the life span as some number (3000 rounds maybe) but the company clarified and said that they are tested to 3000 rounds but generally last much longer than that. I can find the magazine if you really care.

My wifes KelTec P11 has around 1800 rounds and the only problem I have had was a mag catch problem,a phone call to KT and the part was on the way the next day.One of my P32's had a frame problem,I shipped it off to Florida on Thursday(from Wa state) and had the gun in my hands on Wed the next week,great CS Doug
    a armed man is his own master

I'll try here before starting a new thread, but even if the Kahrs have a published "lifespan" has anyone had trouble with one wearing out ?

I've only got 300-400 through mine, so that's not much of a test.

I look at it this way. I'm going to shoot and remain capable and accurate in my skills. The primary is going to get shoved through the wringer, and the backup is going to be asked to perform now and then to prove itself. On the BUG, the money saved in ammo is simply turned into another BUG when the time comes, even if that's 5K rds down the road. We're only talking about a few hundred rounds a year, so that's still years of service life. Not a bad trade for a gun that goes "boom" every time and gets carried everywhere, every day.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Don't forget that 5,000 to 6,000 rounds is a hell of a lot of ammo through any gun. Even one that is made for that many and more. It is not unreasonable to think that any gun may need some maintenance or repair by the time it reaches that mark, especially the small guns.
    Ummm...

My early 90's Wilson has 72k rds through it and will still make one ragged hole at 25yds. Recoil spring every 2k, all others every 5k.

My buddy's Les Baer Premier II that he uses for IPSC has 110k rds through it, still has the original bbl and is a tack driving machine. No looseness, or rattle of any kind.

You're right on the money about mice though.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Methinks Kel-Tec (and others) are being conservative in their estimates of longevity. Still, as was already pointed out, most folks aren't going to shoot more than a few rounds at a time through a P3AT. They are not comfortable beasts to shoot, being built for optimum concealment as opposed to comfort.
    My practice consists of a lot of rounds out of a service pistol, or my compact Glock 26, or ... whatever pistol I'm feeling like shooting for the day, then toss out a mag or two from the P3AT. This lets me be sure it's still functioning and that I can still hit where I aim with it. This practice manages to keep my skill level up, gives me a good evaluation of the weapon, and saves wear and tear on both it and me.
    BTW, I'm one of those whose P3AT (first generation) was screwy. Kel-Tec replaced and tuned the extractor, stamped a new frame with my old gun's serial number and sent me, in essence, a new gun. All in about 10 or 11 days! That was back when the P3AT first came out. It's run without a hitch ever since ... though on those times when I feel like abusing my hand, I've noticed that after about 4 or 5 mags, the retaining pin backs out just a wee bit. Not enough to tie up the action, but it is worrysome. Well, it would be worrysome if I was going to get into a protracted firefight with a tiny pocket gun for which I usually only carry one spare mag (the second "reload" is another gun).

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    Ummm...

My early 90's Wilson has 72k rds through it and will still make one ragged hole at 25yds. Recoil spring every 2k, all others every 5k.

My buddy's Les Baer Premier II that he uses for IPSC has 110k rds through it, still has the original bbl and is a tack driving machine. No looseness, or rattle of any kind.

You're right on the money about mice though.
    Yep, I have a few guns like that myself.

Like I said though, it is not unreasonable to think that it might need some kind of maintenance. Like you said on your wilson, you replace the recoil spring every 2k rounds.

Point being, the gun isn't going to be in brand new condition after that many rounds. Thats why it is important to show love and good maintenance to your guns.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links