Defensive Carry banner

Is the Kahr MK9 Really a Pocket Carry Gun?

9K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  kahrcarrier 
#1 ·
Is the Kahr MK9 trully a pocket carry gun, or does it weigh too much to be used with that method? I believe Kahr lists the gun unloaded as 24 ounces (give or take - can't get to their site right now).

I already have a 642, and was thinking the MK9 would serve as a good companion.

Or should I look at the Kahr models this way - PM9 to carry in the pocket, and MK9 as a small IWB carry?

#4 ·
I don't know why you'd need bigger pockets for a gun that's about 5.5" long, less than 4" tall, & less than 1" wide, as well as weighing under 1 lb. unloaded.

My PM9 is definitely smaller & can fit (completely) in smaller pockets than my 442. My 442's ligher loaded, but that's about it.

As to pocket carrying the MK9, it'll fit, but it's quite heavy. If I were to pocket carry one, I would think I'd need a good belt to cinch up my pants so they don't sag from the weight.

#6 ·
I can fit my wife's all steel MK9 in a jeans pocket with no problem. If I carry it, I have it in a Desantis Nemesis holster. Great little pocket piece that's easy to handle, reliable, and accurate.

#7 ·
Yes...serves nicely as a BUG or NY reload

#8 ·
IMO it is a little too heavy for pocket carry. Great for IWB or OWB.

#9 ·
Is the Kahr MK9 Really a Pocket Carry Gun?
Yes, the MK9 is small enough for pocket carry. Though, that assumes you don't have disco-tight pants on and have sized them appropriately for pocket carry. That's right. Your clothing is key. Selected for the express purpose of pocket carry, certain pants will work; others won't no matter how good your disco steps are ...

The traditional hallmark concealable pocket gun is the S&W snubbie revolver. It's basic size is: 6.5" long, 5" high and 1.3" wide (at the widest point of the cylinder). Guns in this package can range from 12.8oz in the scandium/titanium flavors to ~25oz from some mfrs (ie, the Ruger SP101). A holstered unit will be somewhat larger, based on the fact that the leather must exceed the length of the barrel and must wrap around the cylinder. So, it'll be a bit longer and a tad wider.

Irrespective of weight, anything that size or smaller is generally equally concealable. It may flop due to the weight, but we're speaking of sizing, really.

So, that covers the following guns: CZ 2075 RAMI, Taurus Millennium Pro, Glock 19, H&K USP Compact (nearly), Springfield Micro Compact 1911, Colt Defender 1911, SIG P239, Walther P99 Compact or PPK, or any other similarly-sized gun. Of course, this assumes you select a good-quality pocket holster, one that's not appreciably "fatter" (around) than would be used on another gun from the list.

Assuming the pockets and covering garments are suitable, something up to a 3.5" barreled Officer's-framed 1911, snubbie revolver or typical "compact" offering from a number of mfrs should fit the bill.

Data point: I carried a S&W 442 Airweight .38spl snubbie revolver for years. In a well-designed pocket holster, the Springfield Micro Compact is about the same dimensions in the pocket as was the S&W 442. The KelTec P3AT 380 is half the width , one-third shorter and one-third less tall, by comparison. Now, that's concealable.

#10 ·
I sometimes carry a P9 in pocket, wrangler jeans. No problems at all with concealability, but sometimes it will dislodge my cell phone that I typically carry in the 5th pocket.

This is using a extra-crappy unkle mikes generic POS holster. Nowhere as nice as a leather one. That would help matters greatly.

#11 ·
Was doing a search on holsters,and found this older post of mine.

I picked up a new MK9 tonight, so looks like I'll soon be able to answer this question (well, as soon as my CCW permit comes in).

I had some fun assembling it after cleaning (recoil spring wasn't put back on straight locking things up and taking some time to fix), but really hope it works out. I have my fingers crossed I got one of the good ones.

#13 ·
Just got a MK9

I just bought a slightly used Kahr MK9 this week from a LEO friend, and I will be testing it at the range first before attempting to carry it. However, I have inspected the gun closely and tried it in a pocket for an experiment.

In terms of physical dimensions, the gun is quite concealable in a pocket. It is very flat (about 0.88 in across the slide and 1.00 inches across the grip) and has a short "two finger" grip so it disappears very well in the normal pocket. The problem with pocket carry might be the weight of the all steel gun, however - it weighs about 24 ounces empty and probably 26-27 ounces loaded. So you would need sturdy material in your pants and a real gun belt to hold your pants up, I believe.

I was thinking that another alternative for deep concealment carry of the MK9 would be a tuckable IWB holster. This would easily deal with the heavy weight issue, and take advantage of the extreme flatness and short grip of the gun. I am not sure what brand of tuckable IWB would be best, but I think this is the perfect gun for that mode of carry. A tuckable holster is not a very fast draw, but it offers some of the deepest concealment possible with a tucked in shirt.

#16 ·
I was thinking that another alternative for deep concealment carry of the MK9 would be a tuckable IWB holster. This would easily deal with the heavy weight issue, and take advantage of the extreme flatness and short grip of the gun. I am not sure what brand of tuckable IWB would be best, but I think this is the perfect gun for that mode of carry. A tuckable holster is not a very fast draw, but it offers some of the deepest concealment possible with a tucked in shirt.
It'll make a very could concealable IWB gun & works well in a tuckable holster, too.

Personally, when I carry my PM9 in an IWB holster, I put the extended mag in, so that I can draw with a full grip.

As to holster makers, there's a great many out there, but UBG holsters makes a good one that I believe was originally designed for the kahr MK/PM guns, the Nassar model. It's tuckable, too.

#14 ·
The MK will work as a pocket gun , but the pm works better due to it being both lighter and thinner ( by virtue of not having grip scales ) .

#15 ·
Is the MK9 a pocket gun? Absolutely - provided you have large-enough pockets, and a good belt. I pocket carry my MK9 often when I'm wearing cargo shorts/pants & dress pants. In a Nemesis, my MK9 carries very well, and I've added a Hogue rubber grip, which makes drawing & shooting with the short grip much easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.