Hi, my name is Mike and I'm an addict. - Page 3

Hi, my name is Mike and I'm an addict.

This is a discussion on Hi, my name is Mike and I'm an addict. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Mike....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi, my name is Mike and I'm an addict.

Hi Mike.

Mike, I know your pain!

This is a good addiction! keep it up and carry!

Hi Mike...Welcome to our meeting!

We'll try to comfort and understand you...
    If you have lapses...contact any of us...we're here for you...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

hi mike keep coming back

Hi Mike,

Welcome to "the dark side."
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I hate to agree with everyone else, but this addiction isn't one that you are likely to break. When I bought my first gun last May, I was immediately thinking about what to buy next. 2 weeks later I had my second gun, followed a week later by my third. It's a downward spiral but it sure is a fun one.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Hi Mike.

Gun Acquisition Syndrome as I have found out first hand is just one of the variations of the more generic Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
    I first experienced G.A.S. as Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. 12 guitars, 5 amplifiers, many effects, 2 mixers, 4 microphones, and miles of cable were not enough to satisfy my cravings. I now have substituted guns for guitars and have been guitar purchase free for over a year.

While it can't be cured there are some things you can do to minimize the impact of your addiction on your family and friends:

Stick to one type of gear. Guns and guitars can be affordable, but not when combined. If you start adding fishing poles, power tools, and computers the effects are more readily noticed.

Acquire investment pieces. Your loved ones will be more understanding if you buy gear that will increase in value. Have something you can leave for your children when you go.

Invest in gear that your family can also enjoy. I recommend an AR-15 with a telescoping stock. It's low recoil, accurate, easy to operate, and the adjustable stock allows it to be quickly set up for any user. With a good rail mount system, everyone can have their own favorite optic too. Be careful not to pass on the affliction, especially if you will ultimately fund their habit.

Never sell your gear if it can be avoided. Any sold gear will leave you feeling empty and you will eventually be moved to replace the piece. Replacement gear will always cost more and will never be of the same quality. It's not uncommon for the G.A.S. afflicted to buy 2 or 3 guns (at a higher price than the original) to replace one sold before.

My guitar G.A.S. is currently in remission. I have to be extra careful that I don't sacrifice my guitar collection to support my gun collection. I know the guitar bug could come back at any time and it would be terrible to not have my Blue Voodoo there to comfort me.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    ...Never sell your gear if it can be avoided. Any sold gear will leave you feeling empty and you will eventually be moved to replace the piece. Replacement gear will always cost more and will never be of the same quality. It's not uncommon for the G.A.S. afflicted to buy 2 or 3 guns (at a higher price than the original) to replace one sold before.

Roger That!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Hi Mike.

Gun Acquisition Syndrome as I have found out first hand is just one of the variations of the more generic Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
    I first experienced G.A.S. as Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. 12 guitars, 5 amplifiers, many effects, 2 mixers, 4 microphones, and miles of cable were not enough to satisfy my cravings. I now have substituted guns for guitars and have been guitar purchase free for over a year.
    (In Darth Vader voice) "Mike, I am your father."

Either that or you must be my clone.

I personally have 4 guitars and a banjo. Between my sons and I we have 12 guitars (not to mention 2 Guitar Heros).

Now, thanks to this forum, I keep looking at my guitar strings wondering which strings would make the best garotte.

Oooh, and when my wife finds out....
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Mike!

This thread is an INTERVENTION...against the rest of the world!

All of us will only ever get REALLY concerned if you ever try to find a CURE for your addiction.

Relax, enjoy, shoot, repeat......
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Hi Mike, I got GAS too! Your not alone, it's always good to have people in knows how you feel. No cure for me!
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Your response should be, "Hi, Mike."

Background: Have had a couple of guns over the years, starting with a .22 rife as a kid, the occasional shotgun, and a .25 Beretta and S&W .38 I inherited from my dad. But, other than occasionally 'plinking,' never did much with any of them.

After some death threats a while back, I began to think seriously about self-defense. Then came the VT murders and that did it.
    I picked up my S&W M&P 9c May 1.

I couldn't wait to get it out and shoot the next day. The smell of gunpowder, the sore thumb from loading the mag, the blood from where the slide 'bit' me. Unnnhh, unnhh, unnhh, unh, unh!!! (Think Tim Allen on 'Home Improvment').

Last night I stripped and cleaned my gun. I put it back together and it even worked!

I couldn't wait to go out again. I went to the range again today, put another 200 rounds into silhouettes (and one Osama bin Laden target I picked up online), and talked to other shooters.

Now, I am absolutely hooked. I can't wait to read this forum, went looking for books on guns at the local used bookstores, and I am starting to look for my next gun. I am trying to figure out if I can get to the range again before I take my concealed carry class on Wednesday.

I need help!

Anybody out there who can help me?
    The only cure is running out of money. BTW, where on the Space Coast are you? I'm just outside of West Melbourne.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Satellite
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Hi Mike, me too!!

Sorry Mike, you've got the itus just like the rest of us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links