Hi, my name is Mike and I'm an addict.

This is a discussion on Hi, my name is Mike and I'm an addict. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; welcome from ga!...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hi, my name is Mike and I'm an addict.

welcome from ga!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

2. Remove Ads

Mike, I've got GAS as well and have found that a good double tap takes the edge off but unfortunately only for a short while. Sooner or later you run out of shots and have to return to the gun shop for a refill. They have guns at those gun shops that need love too! I look at it kinda like the Humain Society... things of that caliber need good homes just like dogs.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

Forgive me, I'm a newbie...

Quote Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
    Welcome!
    Now get one of each of these

I can recognize a shotgun from a rifle, but...what is what? Names...calibers...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    Hi Mike

Here is a good book to read to help you out and keep you busy between range shooting.

http://www.amazon.com/Concealed-Hand...8931133&sr=8-2
    +1 interviewed Chris on a radio program a few years ago. It is a good read for just starting out.

Mike,
    Welcome! I too have the disease. Find a sponsor with the same infliction. Since there is no cure you will have support for every purchase. This site has proved to be invaluable; these guys know there stuff. I have been around guns since I remember; the skills that I have aquired hunting gave me a good base on safety and the understanding of some of the physiological affects one experiences under stress. You can shoot at targets all day long; even ones that look like deer, the first one that walks in front of you gets you pretty worked up. I would guess that facing someone who would do you harm would factor those feeling 100 fold.
    I have come to the conclusion that if it all goes south and I am placed in a situation that I need to use my firearm, I want to be drilled to the point that I am the one that will win. I met a great guy on this site that is going to help me with Close Quarters Combat training to help my reaction time and assure hits in stressful situations. I recommend the DVD series Inside the Crucible. No nonsense advice and training on how to draw, shoot and move. They are not cheap; but really good. I feel that, as close to real life training is the key to accepting the awesome responsibility of carrying.
    I wonder if those with considerable experience on this site could put together a compilation of the considerable experience they have to help newbies like us. A step by step approach to becoming effective and safe with our weapons.
    Semper Paratus

The valley of the sun scorched earth(Phx,Az)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Hi Mike, My name is also Mike, and I have GAS (both varieties, both just as deadly). I do work in the healthcare field, and I can tell you that a GAS (Gun Acquisition Syndrome) is indeed a syndrome. Syndrome's are not diseases but a collection of symptoms that are not defined into a specific disease. Syndroms can take a variety of forms and subspecialties. Let me give some examples, GAS-XD, GAS-Gxx (insert more specific diagnoses such as 19, 23), GAS-Sig, GAS-AR. GAS - 1911, There are many others, some syndromes are more predominiate than others. Such as the GAS 1911, or the GAS SIG, seem to be more predominate than GAS-KT. The problem with subtyping syndroms is that the syndrom never goes away, but it may change subtypes over time.

There is no cure for this syndrome
    First, hi Mike.

The toughest syndrom to have is GAS-MIL SURP, they are cheap and take a lot of abuse, and there are SOOOOOOOO many military surplus arms to buy(ie: AK's, Mosins, SKS's) oh God it never ends....
    NRA Life Member USCCA Member

Freedoms Precious Metals:Gold, Silver and Lead

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Kimber Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS

Hi Mike.

Welcome to the disease. It's terminal. We can't cure you but we can help you accept and deal with your condition. :)

Ron
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Now, thanks to this forum, I keep looking at my guitar strings wondering which strings would make the best garotte.
    I'd go with a smaller wound string (24 ga). Should give you the right balance of strength and flexibility.
    Round wound will be easier to tie off than flat wound.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    I can recognize a shotgun from a rifle, but...what is what? Names...calibers...
    Ahhhh....Remington 870 Synthetic-12Ga,Rock River Arms Elite CAR A4 w/Aimpoint Comp ML3 (2MOA)-.223/5.56, Glock 23-.40SW

Now I want a Springfield M1A SOCOM 16......it NEVER ends.

Oh....and a Garand.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links