EDC recommendations

This is a discussion on EDC recommendations within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I am looking for an EDC in 45 that I will carry everyday. I am now carrying a Kahr CW9 which I like, but ...

Thread: EDC recommendations

EDC recommendations

Ok, I am looking for an EDC in 45 that I will carry everyday. I am now carrying a Kahr CW9 which I like, but would rather move up in caliber. I own a Para 14 and a CZ 75 compact in 9mm. I have yet to find a 9mm that I like better than my CZ so the rest of my guns will be 45! Anywho, I am looking to spend about$600.00. I have looked at the SA GI micro, SA XD 45 compact, and the Para Hawg. I know in this price range it will be tough but I prefer 3 dot sights with the option of adding night sights. I am not opposed to used and any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Have you shot an XD.45?
    There's one for rent at my local gun store (Guns and Leather in Greenbrier just north of Nashville) and once I used that I was hooked.
    The XD would be a great choice, and you'd have change even after state sales tax.

VIP Member
    If you can find one, the Rock Island compacts are nice, and you'd have some money left. Now, noting that I believe if you carry a .45 it should be in JMB's pistol, the Sig 220 may be what you're looking for. You can find CPO which are used pistols that Sig has inspected and replaced any worn parts and all springs then refinished if needed. You get a basically new pistol for used gun price.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Glock 30!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    A Glock 36. About the same size as the smallest 1911 type .45s, as thin, but lighter, reliable, longer barrel & sight radius than similar size 1911 type .45s.

I think the PM45 will cost more than your limit, but one of the other Kahr .45s might not.

A Taurus PT145 Mil Pro. Surprisingly accurate for a gun that's shorter than a Glock 26. It's a little thicker & not as light as the Glock 36, but it holds 10+1 rounds of .45.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I carry a GI Micro, very happy with it. The trigger was a bit stiff at 6 lbs but just had a nice 4 lb trigger job done.

Some discussion here...

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...Micro+elcruisr
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Glock 30

Given your description of what you want in a .45 for CCW and the fact that you now carry a polymer frame Kahr, I think a Glock 30 would suit you very well. The G30 is very reliable and compact, weighing 24 ounces empty with a 3.8 inch barrel and 10 round magazine. You can see many of them listed on Gunbroker either new or slightly used in the $550 to $600 range, often with the night sights that you want.

Here is one with a $555 buy it now price without night sights:

Glock 30 for sale on Gunbroker

I like my Colt officers for single stack grip and my Para P-12 for a high capacity .45 acp. Finding good used ones should fit your budget.

I haven't priced any lately. Paid around $600 for my Colt, (new) around 22 years ago and close to $700 for the Para (new) over 15 years ago.

(The steel frames soak up recoil in those 3 1/2 inch .45's making them easy to shoot rapid fire.)

Besides, I just think that the .45 acp is just meant to go in a 1911 style gun.
    Last edited by Bark'n; May 12th, 2007 at 12:30 PM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If you are already carrying a Kahr CW9 I would suggest you get a P45.

I have a PM9 and soon I will finish paying off my P45. There is nothing wrong with the 9mm, if you do your part and use good ammunition and shot placement.

The reason I suggest another Kahr is because that is a Trigger that you are already used to and the weapon's functioning would be the same between the two. There would be no need to learn anything different.

BTW, I picked up my LNIB, unfired P45 for $460. Look around, they are out there. Mine was bought by a guy that took it home, had it for about an hour, then took it back to the shop and traded it in for something else.

Biker

+1 on the G30.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    You might find a Kahr .45 within your price range. If you do, seriously consider it.

After a Kahr, I'd still recommend the Glock 36. It weighs 20.11 oz. empty, 26.99 oz. loaded. Basically, it's less than an oz. heavier than a Glock 26, just as thin through the slide, & thinner through the grip.

A friend & I went to the range & ran a bunch of ammo through our guns. I tried his G-30 (I have a G-36). The difference was incredible. After handling the 36, other Glocks feel like bricks, & I've owned a number of Glocks over the last 11 yrs.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

If You're Not Looking at a 1911...

then I would second the Glock-36...slim...light...smaller grip than other Bricks, I mean Glocks...

If a 1911 could be a consideration then a Kimber Ultra in .45 would be a great EDC!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links