Walther PPK - Page 2

Walther PPK

This is a discussion on Walther PPK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carried one for most of 20+years. Mostly in a Rybka pocket holster. Mine needed hot loads to eject reliably. Once I figured out its ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walther PPK

I carried one for most of 20+years. Mostly in a Rybka pocket holster. Mine needed hot loads to eject reliably. Once I figured out its quirks, then no probs.

I carried one for several years.

It was more accurate than it had any right to be. I imagine the fixed barrel had a lot to do with that.

It never malfunctioned (yet) despite being cleaned with diesel fuel and lubricated with motor oil from the dip stick. Ammunition was ball, Silver Glazer, or Hydra-Shock.

At that time, if you wanted a small semi-automatic pistol of reasonable power, the PPK was the only game in town. Its image was enhanced a lot by James Bond.

I would not want to use it again because there are better options available.

Like the Rohrbaugh 9mm, the PPK does not have a slide lock. It takes an empty mag to lock the slide back. Not good for discrete carry.

Use the safety. With the safety not engaged, the PPK with its external hammer does not have provision to prevent accidental discharge if dropped.

I still shoot it occasionally and its as good for its intended purpose as it ever was. Safer and more powerful choices of similar size without the abnormally heavy DA first shot are currently available.

I have a really reliable PP in .32...

1969 German assembled one. Great little gun.

thanks slowpoke. I been looking at the SW compact MP9 as well. Any suggestions?

The PPK/S is a very good CCW. It is very accurate, slim and there are some good pocket holsters for it. Most of the problems people cite are the earlier models. I've shot reloads and hot loads in mine with zero probls. It is a much more solid piece than the keltec and will hold up under use better than it and the bersa. It is a legacy pistol you can give to your grandkids.

I would suggest breaking it in first, a good cleaning and light oiling. The PPKs come with a factory coating and a break in helps to burn it off, with the cleaning.

Here's the holster I carry in my back pocket:

http://www.pocketholsters.com/Walthe...t_holster.html

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I'm looking at a newer american made .380 PPK/S. there is just something about those PPKs that I like.
    S&W is making a new version of them. They lengthened the tang so you don't get bitten by the slide. I have a P64 which is close to the PPK, it bites the hand that feeds it. But it a nice small pistol.

VIP Member
    I frequently carry an Interarms PPK/S as my "summer" carry. I like it.

I carried a stainless Interarms Walther PPK for a couple o'years (was a loaner from a friend whose agency at the time forbid autos). It was great! No failures, and unbelieveably accurate. I had to qualify with it on the same course we use for service pistols and it still shot, if memory serves, a score of 94%! I was impressed.
    The friend's agency changed (or he changed agencies) and he got his PPK back. I wound up with a used (and abused) Interarms Walther PPK/s. It's previous user had shot it a LOT with no problems. I shot it quite a bit, too ... then it broke (extractor blew off). I had it fixed and it lasted one round. I then repaired it again and it lasted about 100 rounds. Again, it was used and abused when I got it so I don't hold the breakage against the gun. I know a few other guys who have 'em and swear by 'em, with no reported failures.
    They are very easy to conceal (slightly big for my pockets, though), and carry extremely easily for me.
    I was just getting to where I could afford to look for a new one ... and now the wife wants one ... badly. So, her solution is, "I guess we'll just have to get two then. Which one do you want?" --- Now THAT is the perfect wife! :)

I have a PPK-S and it conceals well. Steve48

There was a Interarms Walther PPK in blue for 320 near me. Was debating it but looks well used and pitted....keep looking I guess. The newer ones made by S&W are sharp. Thanks for all the input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links