Walther PPK

Walther PPK

This is a discussion on Walther PPK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone carry a Walther PPK?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPK

Walther PPK

Anyone carry a Walther PPK?

Ron
    Not the PPK, but the P99c.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I used to carry the american made Walther PPK/S .380 ACP years ago but no longer have it. I loved it and wouldn't hesitate to carry one as a back up today.

I do have an original german made Walther PP in .32 acp that my son-in-law's father recovered from a german officer he found lying dead in WW II Belgium.

Since it is a family heirloom, I won't even think of carrying it, but we have shot it. Sweet little piece.

I think the old PP's and PPK's are great guns, reliable and supurbly made to the highest of standards for the day.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'm looking at a newer american made .380 PPK/S. I know the Kel Tec P3AT is smaller lighter etc., however there is just something about those PPKs that I like. Did yours conceal well?

Yes! You won't even know it's there regardless of where you put it. I believe a good term to describe the Walther PPK is "sleek"!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Easy to hide

I have a Walther PPK in .380 - the US made Interarms version of the gun. The gun has never failed to feed or eject, and is the flattest gun I own. It weighs 21 ounces empty, is all steel, and holds 6+1 rounds.

I have carried it in a Galco horsehide pocket holster, and it hides well in pants with deep pockets or in a jacket pocket. The gun also conceals easily inside the waist band in belt carry because of its thin slide and grip.

When a gun first sold in 1928 is still in production, it must be a good design.

Yeah, “sleek” is an appropriate description. I love my J frame and trust my life with it. Yet, I’d like something thinner and in stainless that will last a long, long time.

Besides it’s always good to get another firearm.

Thanks for your input.

The only negative things I have read about the PPK’s seem to be related to the older ones with modern ammo. Sounds like the newer ones handle the HP’s and hot loads just fine. It is a gorgeous design. Glad to hear it wears well in the manner that I was thinking.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Anyone carry a Walther PPK?
    I did for quite some time.

I have an Interarms PPK that I got in about 1994. I carried it quite a bit in a Thunderwear concealment holster. 6+1 of .380. Not the most potent package, but enough to do some self defense good.

When the gun was new and I took it to range trial, there were mechanical failures. I don't know the exact term for the parts involved, but something "sear-related" was going on, where in single-action (hammer cocked) the trigger could be pulled but one little catchy-thing didn't connect with the other catchy-thing it was supposed to, and so the trigger would not actually cause the gun to fire! This happened every so many rounds or so.

I brought the gun back to the store, where my friend's PPK was waiting for him to purchase it. We swapped the parts out and mine worked fine. (They later got a replacement part from my friend's gun, I believe.)

After that, the gun has worked flawlessly and never had a problem.

It's not a lot of fun at the range, to be honest. It's blowback-operated (not that I fully understand the difference between that and recoil-operated, but I know that one difference is that the barrel is fixed to the frame), and it is somewhat punishing on the hand when you fire it.

If you get one, make sure to range-test it thoroughly, especially with your defensive ammunition, before relying on it for carry. But if it tests okay, I feel it's a worthy carry gun.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I'm looking at a newer american made .380 PPK/S. I know the Kel Tec P3AT is smaller lighter etc., however there is just something about those PPKs that I like. Did yours conceal well?
    Yes, the PPK conceals rather well.

If I'm not mistaken, the PPK/S carries one more round, but I'm not sure if the increased frame size justifies it. I prefer my somewhat smaller PPK.

It's hard to find a gun that doesn't have some sort of "quirk". Most feeding problems can usually be resolved in cheap ways.

As for the "hot" loads, I really do not know about the PPK. It's been years since I shot one and mine was certainly an older one. I really can't remember if I shot +P's in it or not.

I do know I never had a failure to feed, failure to extract or any other malfunction in the one I owned.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

I haven’t had the opportunity to fire one yet. Not sure if I ever shot anything with the blowback instead of recoil operated. Some kick always seems to make me smile, so that should be OK.

As far as firing it enough to trust it…you betcha. I’m not one to carry a lot and fire a little. I like to shoot them and see what they are made of, practice, practice, and more practice.

Had lots of problems with jamming and mis-fires from a S&W made PPK/S. They did fix it for free, including free shipping. It was a .32acp. Sold it and bought 2 Polish p-64s (Walther clone) in 9X18 Makarov. Gives about 150 fps more speed than the .380. The Poles need a new mainspring from Wolf for double action pull without breaking your finger. Nice guns for $170 apeice. luteai
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be Happy" Ben Franklin

I have a FEG SMC .380 which is a PPK copy. It has a very heavy trigger in dbl action, but single action it is nice and crisp. It is surprisingly accurate, can be a little hot in the hand, and it will bite you. But it will eat anything fed to it and after a 250-300 round break-in it has functioned flawlessly. Best deal I had found in a while. :D

I had a Walther/S&W PPK and it wasn't for me, if you have bigger hands the slide will come back and bite you on the web of flesh between you thumb and index finger.

The newer models have longer tangs to prevent this, but the old ones don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links