How Effective Is 9mm 124gr HP, on Bad Dog - Page 2

How Effective Is 9mm 124gr HP, on Bad Dog

This is a discussion on How Effective Is 9mm 124gr HP, on Bad Dog within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; +1 on the OC. I have seen postal carriers use it several times successfully. On one occassion it was used on a 200+lb. Mastiv thas ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Effective Is 9mm 124gr HP, on Bad Dog

+1 on the OC.

I have seen postal carriers use it several times successfully. On one occassion it was used on a 200+lb. Mastiv thas was about to attack. One shot in the face at 10 yards turned him into a whimpering ball of retreating jelly. I have never seen an animal shot with it not stop their agressive advances. Plus, never a chance of a ricocheting bullet injuring an innocent bystander.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

OC is usually the best option on a dog. I have seen a few pooches that actually liked the stuff.

On the other hand I watched a Deputy shoot a Pit Bull in the head with a 230 grain Hydrashock about 6 years ago. The round struck the dog in the head, went under the skin and did not penetrate the skull. It travelled up the skull and exited behind the head. The fight was over and the dog ran away, but there was no instant stop.
    There are no problems in life too large to be handled by the use of small arms and high explosives

In god we trust, all others are suspects

$10.00 transfers in Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by madecov View Post
    OC is usually the best option on a dog. I have seen a few pooches that actually liked the stuff.

On the other hand I watched a Deputy shoot a Pit Bull in the head with a 230 grain Hydrashock about 6 years ago. The round struck the dog in the head, went under the skin and did not penetrate the skull. It travelled up the skull and exited behind the head. The fight was over and the dog ran away, but there was no instant stop.
    Actually in my book that qualifies as a stop.

The actions that were threatening the Deputy stopped after one round. Therefore it was a stop. What it was not was an "Instant Kill". I look at it this way, if I shoot my gun and miss, but the subject I'm trying to shoot stops his actions that forced me to shoot then it is a stop.

I don't care if the BG has a Heart Attack after I fire my weapon. If my shooting a gun induces a stop in the actions it is a stop. Most times however rounds will need to be placed center mass to induce a stop, so that's what I train for.

Biker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

I don't care if the BG has a Heart Attack after I fire my weapon. If my shooting a gun induces a stop in the actions it is a stop. Most times however rounds will need to be placed center mass to induce a stop, so that's what I train for.
    + infinity
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

me
    Personally I would carry any well made SD Round in my firearm, but wouldn't count on it. Dogs can be very resiliant.
    I agree, I was talking to an instructor yesterday who shot a German Shepherd at close range with a .45 (hydra shocks). The dog continued to attack his wife so he put 2 more into it before it stopped.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    A well placed round of any size will work fine, a poorly placed round of the biggest size (of commonly carried handgun calibers) won't work. Shot placement is key, especially with dogs. With that said a premium 9mm self defense round will work just fine.
    +1................

.40 cal 180 jhp worked for me. sorry to say it happened but my 4 year old was involved. it worried me he had to see it. he got several stitches. this was at a friends house and it was his buddies dog. the dog came into his barn and went right up to my son so fast and bit him in the face.

Actually in my book that qualifies as a stop.

The actions that were threatening the Deputy stopped after one round. Therefore it was a stop. What it was not was an "Instant Kill". I look at it this way, if I shoot my gun and miss, but the subject I'm trying to shoot stops his actions that forced me to shoot then it is a stop.

Biker

+1
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

With a "Head Shot" is the rabies test impossible? I thought it was, but if someone was bitten, a cranial autopsy would be better than the rabies series IMO. You can't do a cranial if you shoot it in the head.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Good call on the OC. I've heard Fox is a good brand as well.

I was delivering fliers door to door one summer as a teenager. I rounded a corner and there was a huge muscular Gray colored Great Dane in the middle of the road. It had it's chest puffed out and was sniffing the air. I backed up very very slowly and didn't make too much eye contact. It seemed distracted and didn't notice me very much. I'm sure glad it wasn't vicious, as that dog probably weighed as much as I did at the time! This incident although uneventfull has never left my mind. This was much scarier than the time I was bitten by a german shepard. You could just sense that this dog didn't screw around.
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

My neigbhor's dog actually went IN my house and attacked mine one day, and I was at my other neighbor's house so I wasn't around. Apparently I didn't close the door tight enough and it barged right in.

Came running home, got to the front steps and out comes thier pitbull running down the porch. I fired 8 shots and hit it 3 times, those little ******** are small and they run fast! It was coming right at me until I started firing, then jumped off the side and hauled ass. The 3 times I hit it was when it was retreating. This was with a G22 .40 S&W.

That being said, I would NEVER count on a handgun to protect me from a dog. If it had been crazed enough to latch onto one of my limbs, I'd have been screwed.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    For dogs that come at you and yours in numbers greater than one,I would much rather have a hi-cap 9 than a .44mag revo.

115's,124's,147's,all should be fine. +P would be a little better,but not mandentory.

Protect yourself at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    Dogs come in different shapes and sizes. If you think threats from dogs are likely, I would suggest packing mace before you worry about calibers. Same goes for bear. Dogs and bear have good sniffers and mace works very well on sniffers.
    +1 on the mace/pepper spray. I have used this several times on dogs and it is quite effective. I carry the triple action Mace. When it hits the dog, the effect is immediate.

The bad news is that if you use it, you will almost always get a taste of it yourself. Not pleasant.

I would go with the pepper spray approach. I hate the idea of having to kill a dog.

when I was a child there was a mangy mutt that always tried to come on our property and inpregnate our family golden retreiver. It was a neighbors dog and the owner told my dad that he could shoot the dog if he came around again. The day came and he shot the dog with a Winchester .22 rifle 4 times in the ass. the dog didn't even flinch when the rounds penetrated his hind quarters. I wouldn't rely on a pistol for defense against a dog.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

My take on dog attacks is this. If a dog would attack a full grown adult what stops it from attacking a child? I will not hesitate to kill a dog by whatever means necessary if it shows aggression towards me or my family, unless it's on a chain or on the other side of a fence. If I'm attacked and for some reason it starts to run away you can bet I'm on it's heels or sending 147 grain +P+ up it's behind!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links