How Effective Is 9mm 124gr HP, on Bad Dog

This is a discussion on How Effective Is 9mm 124gr HP, on Bad Dog within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I frequently walk 4-5 miles in the woods and I usually carry a .357 Mag. 3" barrel Airweight revolver, and always felt ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Effective Is 9mm 124gr HP, on Bad Dog

My wife and I frequently walk 4-5 miles in the woods and I usually carry a .357 Mag. 3" barrel Airweight revolver, and always felt it was enough to stop a aggressive dog.
    Recently I started carrying a Walther P99c in 9mm with Fed. HS 124 gr. hp's, and am curious as to how effective it would be against a aggressive dog or two.
    Several years ago my wife and I were on the middle of a frozen lake walking our 2 boxers, when 2 pit bulls came at us, I was able to kick and yell at them and they left, however, lucky for us they were not very aggressive other wise I would never have been able to stop them without shooting them.
    I am confident the .357 mag would stop a bad dog, but I am not sure of the 9mm?

Sigbear

Don't shoot them in the head. I knew a Sgt that ended up with fragments of a 124 gr 9mm Speer GD in his knee after his partner shot an attacking pitbull in the head on the roof of a housing project in the Bronx. The round ricocheted off of it's skull. I forget if the dog just took off running or if they continued to shoot.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Should work fine!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Yeah, should work fine, if it them at the right place.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Moderator
    Dogs can be tough, so be prepared to shoot again if necessary - and that's not just for 9mm.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

A well placed round of any size will work fine, a poorly placed round of the biggest size (of commonly carried handgun calibers) won't work. Shot placement is key, especially with dogs. With that said a premium 9mm self defense round will work just fine.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

It's like voting in Chicago...

Shoot early, and shoot often...

Heart and lungs...or break the spine/hips...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I used 124gr +P and it worked as intended on a Rotweiler mix. I did use a follow up shot to end it. Side by side the .357 is a better thump.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Dogs come in different shapes and sizes. If you think threats from dogs are likely, I would suggest packing mace before you worry about calibers. Same goes for bear. Dogs and bear have good sniffers and mace works very well on sniffers.

As a dog lover, it pains me to think about it!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I had to shoot a German Shephard once. I used a J-Frame S&W and one Winchester 158 gr. SWCLHP. I shot him in the chest and he turned and ran about 70 yards before collapsing. Not a drop of blood anywhere or a visible entrance or exit wound.

Since then I've taken to carrying Fed Labs MK-4 OC on my walks. I have sprayed 4 dogs with it and it stops them quicker than the .38 did, and hopefully educates them a little better.

My "Dog Arsenal" is this:

Pepper Spray
    Knife
    Gun

The firearm is last, as it should be. Personally, in most situations around here you are going to get bit. If I'm already getting bit I want to use the knife. It's messy and dirty, but it WORKS.

The other reason I will go to the knife first, after Pepper Spray, is because I can show justification for what I was forced to do. I also need to worry about through and through shots, ricochets and missing my target. With Pepper Spray or a knife I have no such worries.

Personally I would carry any well made SD Round in my firearm, but wouldn't count on it. Dogs can be very resiliant.

Biker

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Was at a friends farm once, and while I was there his dog started chasing his grandfather on the tractor. Well the dog was very dumb, and the attachment on the tractor (some sort of thresher I think) was very very sharp, and moving very fast.

Took the dog's head clean off and the thing kept running for about 50 yards or so. One of the creepiest things I have ever seen.

Point is though that dogs will keep going unless they decide not to, and lots of times a would beleive that a bullet would be too slow to avoid injury. Pepper spray or those little siren alarms they sometimes give women instead of actual weapons, probally will work 99% of the time. For that 1% left, just remember, "when in doubt, empty it out."
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Just make sure you're using the highest-capacity magazines, in case something like this happens:

Pack of Angry Chihuahuas Attack Officer
    AP Dec 30 01:15 PM US/Eastern
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

hollow points?

Just a thought. No personal experience here but it seems to me that hp expansion might be adversely affected by dog fur.
    You might consider something like Cor Bon Powr Ball for defense from furry creatures.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links