New 45

This is a discussion on New 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im looking into ordering a 1911 platform 45. This will be the first 1911 that I have ever owned. I am looking at the Sig ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 45

New 45

Im looking into ordering a 1911 platform 45. This will be the first 1911 that I have ever owned. I am looking at the Sig GSR Revolution, a Springfield, or a maybe a Kimber. I don't want a Colt because everyone has one. I own a Sig p229 and like it alot, which is why the GSR is the one im leaning towards. If heard that some people are having problems with them though. I heard good things about the springfields, but I dont know if I like the fit and finish of them as much. Kimber look nice, are a little more pricey, but I don't know alot about them. I've heard that 1911's can be high-maintence regardless of what brand you go with. It almost makes me wonder if I should go with the P220 equinox I've had my eye on. Any opinions would be appreciated, for a near $1000 piece, I want to make sure I get my moneys worth.

2. Remove Ads

1911's

I've heard good things about the S&W's, you might look at them. FGS don't buy a Colt. They've only made them for 100 years, in the U.S.A.

sig 220

it sounds like you're still open to a 220. look at all the options that you have for a .45 from Sig. i have a 220 Carry in SAO that is great. picked it up used for $550. the DAK and SA/DA are great options. if you like your 229, then a 220 would be a great sibling. i'm thinking about a 229 to go with my 220.

You have more than enough to choose from in the 1911 platform. I wouldn't consider S&W unless you go with the performance shop 1911's.

If I were you, I would seriously consider a Dan Wesson. That is a lot of 1911 for the money. Kimbers and SA are nice but many have them as well, not as many can say that about a DW.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I don't want a Colt because everyone has one
    There is a reason everyone has one ;-)
    I really don't think there is a full size 1911 that you can go wrong with. My Norinco has been flawless since I have owned it. IMHO with Kimber, now days you are just paying for the name. I shoot with a bunch of 1911 guys, between us I don't think there is a brand that is not represented and not one of these guys would sale or get rid of there gun. If there was anything wrong with the 1911 platform it would not have lasted the 96 years it has. JMO
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Honestly you should get the Springfield GI model for 4-500 bucks as your first 1911. Just as much fun to shoot, cheap, and if you decide you like the 1911 then you can upgrade to a new one or upgrade that platform as it is a great platform to upgrade. If you decide you do not you are only out 500 bucks and can sell it.

I looked at Springfield 1911 this morning at the Gun shop. It was only $459. I was kinda impressed.

Springfield are the way to go, as for Colt i have never had one that was worth the money they want for them yet, and i have 36 1911's in my safe right now. none are colts or kimbers
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by jmany View Post
    I looked at Springfield 1911 this morning at the Gun shop. It was only $459. I was kinda impressed.
    I've seen the stainless GI's around here for $489...it's very tempting. Seems to be a good starting piece to build on.

Take a look at the Taurus PT1911. Its lots of gun for the money, feels good, looks good. All the 1911 geeks I know loved it.

I don't have a problem with colt, I am a big fan of their AR. I just don't want a 1911 from them. When I buy a pistol, I very rarely sell it, so when I get a 1911 Im going to get one with all the options. I looked at one of the custom shop springfields today and liked it alot. I may go that route, Im also am looking at a stainless P220 elite that looks pretty nice. Wish I could shoot a couple the different 1911's im looking at, it would make my decision alot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    Take a look at the Taurus PT1911. Its lots of gun for the money, feels good, looks good. All the 1911 geeks I know loved it.

Actually, if you are thinking of taking the advice of the SA GI then I would instead recommend the Taurus PT1911 as well. Much more custom features like ambi safety, night sites, etc, for the same money or just a tad more in some areas.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member
    I sure do love my Springfield Champion!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I sure do love my Springfield Champion!

That's a nice looking pistol, but if you ever shoot someone in self defense with it, you will get raked over the coals by an attorney when he sees those Punisher grips. Nothing says that you are just LOOKING to shoot someone like a skull on the grips of your pistol.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Don't let the negative reports on the GSR scare you away. They are good guns and Sig has worked out the bugs from the early production.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links