Your opinion of the Kahr K40

This is a discussion on Your opinion of the Kahr K40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I want your opinion on the Kahr K40. Any info you are able to give would be great, especially those on recoil. I ...

Hello all,

I want your opinion on the Kahr K40. Any info you are able to give would be great, especially those on recoil. I have not shot one and there is not a range in the area that has one to rent, so I am out of luck on that front. So, I have to rely on you guys to let me know how it feels, how it compares to other .40's of the same size, especially the Glock 27 if you've shot both.

Thanks again for all your expertise!
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

I've got a K40, a Glock 23 & Glock 27. I find the recoil to be manageable and probably a bit less than the G27. Grip is slightly bigger on the K40. The Kahr is very accurate, longer trigger take up, than the Glocks, but smooth. K40 is slightly smaller in width, it is a single stack mag. The weight is a bit heavier than the Glocks, as its an all steel gun. Easy to carry. It like the feel of it. As I'm waiting on a custom holster for the Glocks, I carry the K40 more often. NO functioning problems with the gun. Unknown how many rds through it as I bought it used. The G27 is more melted and rounded, the Kahrs are a bit more squarish with some sharp edges. I've rounded some of the edges on the frame and slide release to end some of the gouging they were doing on my holster. Easy enough to break the sharp edges with fine grit sandpaper. I don't think you'll be unhappy with the Kahr. I like my Kahr & my Glocks. G23 stays home, the K40 or the G27 come along with me, when I can. Most time I've got my P3at IN MY POCKET. Hope this helps.

I've had my K-40 for about 6-7 yrs. now.....100%+ reliable....also have a G-27 and G-23......I don't realy find much if any difference in recoil between the three. The K-40 is much better for IWB carry than the Glocks as it is slimmer. I don't think you will be dissapointed with the K-40.
    Jim

Purchased a K40 sometime around 1999 to 2000. I can honestly say I've never had more problems with a handgun than I did with this Kahr. It went back to Kahr atleast 6 times and the customer service was very bad. When they returned it the last time they had done nothing to fix it. If you set on a .40 take a good look at Glock the 23 is a nice handgun.

I've had my K40 for 6 yrs. No probs after break in. Kick is not bad compared to a Jframe or a Kframe .357. Shoot it like a slicked up revolver and you'll shoot it well. If I didn't have to carry my P2000 (agency regs) then I'd be carrying the K40.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W642CT&G19 View Post
    Purchased a K40 sometime around 1999 to 2000. I can honestly say I've never had more problems with a handgun than I did with this Kahr. It went back to Kahr atleast 6 times and the customer service was very bad. When they returned it the last time they had done nothing to fix it. If you set on a .40 take a good look at Glock the 23 is a nice handgun.
    Could you please elaborate on the types of problems you had with your K-40.
    Thanks,
    Jim

I have shot most of the Kahr models and I really don't like the way they fit me. Just don't feel right to me. I would say that you need to shoot one before buying, or at a minimum handle it for a while.

I would never buy a defensive handgun without wrapping my hands around it for a while.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

MK 40

I have an MK 40 that is my sometimes CCW. I bought it for when I needed something between a 1911 and a KT P32. I added a finger extension to the short magazine (Pearce?) and modified a rubber slip-on sleeve (Hogue) to give me extra grip. It is no fun to shoot with defensive ammo otherwise. The recoil is manageable, but I have much more control this way. I played with it a bit and jeweled the chamber area and did some polish work, did a trigger job and ramp polish, none of which it needed. Just gunsmith busywork. I did not carry it for a while after I had a hand injury, too much recoil and too low a magazine capacity for weak hand only use. Carry ammo is 135gr Quick-Shok, have used 155gr Hydra Shok, 165gr Gold Saber, 150gr HST, and 155gr Starfire in the gun and spare (extended) magazines. Leather is from FIST, IWB and mag pouch. Wasn't easy to find a lefty holster and mag pouch locally. If it was unreliable I wouldn't carry it, if I wasn't carrying it, I'd have sold it. Not exactly a bullseye or hunting arm, right?

VIP Member
    My husband has my K40 (see banner above ) these days. I'm not fond of the snappy recoil and very long trigger pull, but it's a very reliable, concealable, and accurate little gun. Some guys with big paws have complained about the gun being too tiny, others (like my hubby) like the way it fits his hands. It's built like a tank. I think you'd be pleased getting the K40.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Jim,

Sure - The first time the K40 was returned was for a crack in the slide. When they returned it the new slide was so loose I didn't consider it safe.. The second time it went back was because it failed to fire. The firing pin was not striking the primer. When it was returned this time I asked them to also fix the slide. They didn't! The third, forth,fifth and final time was because no matter what factory ammo was loaded into the clip it would not cycle. I'm not saying Kahr is a bad weapon. I'm 100% sure I had a lemon. My beef is more with the customer service end. I never got upset with Kahr and they never offered to pay for the return shipping. Anyway it's someone else's problem now. I really wish they would of just replaced the K40.

I recently bought a new P40, which as you probably know is the same gun with a polymer grip frame. If you're looking for extreme longevity, I'd get the K40. I wish I did but I just didn't have an extra hundred dollars or so laying around. If you're just looking for a very nice, very accurate and very compact semi-auto weapon that you can take out and plink with every now and then, I'd look no further than the P40. If you want something that could eventually become a family heirloom one day, get the K40.

As far as how it handles, I'm a small guy. I wear medium sized gloves, I'm 5' 7" and 140 lbs. Compared to my full size G22, it is more accurate. The felt recoil, though a bit more than my G22, is very manageable. At 15 yards, I can double tap the chest area of a paper target just fine. Concentrating at 15 yards, I can either mark or come within .5" of a bullseye.

If you like how the P40 feels but don't care for plinking with it and just need a carry rig, the CW40 is also there.

0.02¢

I think it's a matter of fit. I don't exactly have bear paws for hands and the weapon fits and feels fantastic. I have put thousands of rounds through it without a single hiccup. The dovetail mount forced me to wait nearly 3 years until Crimson Trace made a grip mounted laser sight for the K40... but it was more than worth the wait! I called Kahr for some replacement grip screws and they promptly sent me enough screws for 3 sets of grips... no charge. I wanted a weapon that was easily concealed, fit my hand, was accurate and DEPENDABLE. I got all that with the K40.. and it's a damn nice looking weapon as well.

Links